What's your religion?

Options

Replies

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Jewish, raised in a secular home with it being kosher and keeping all the holiday's. Had my Bar mitzvah at 13 and married a Jewish girl.
    I classify myself as non practicing however this is going to be harder to do as my son starts his Bar mitzvah lessons after the summer holidays.

Still keep a semi kosher home.
  • thisdarkpassenger
    thisdarkpassenger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    None. Atheist applies...

lol when I first saw this, I thought it said "atheist apples" :)

I'm atheist, too :)
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What I believe is that it's very possible that there is a higher being.

What I believe is that it's very lovely when people believe in that higher being and act in a good way towards others.
    What I believe is that it's very lovely when people have come to the conclusion that they don't believe and act in a good way towards others.

What I believe is that it breaks my heart when I see ANY hate whatsoever, or any discrimination. Just based on what somebody interpreted from the bible.

This is what I beleive too...I've just never put it into words. Thanks
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Spirit/Science combo. Some days I pray to the Goddess, other days I doubt that there is anything besides what science can prove.

But most of the time I believe that there are spirits among us, because I can feel my mother around me all the time. Which means that there is an afterlife of some sort. I usually tell folks that I'm an agnostic Pagan.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Raised German Lutheran. 10 years of Lutheran school and now I am just conflicted. I believe in God, but I wouldn't say the bible is really worth the paper it's printed on and I find I dislike most other Christians.

Why is that?
    Curious because I believe the more I learn about others' beliefs, the more I can learn about my own :smile:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow a particular religion though I do feel I have some form of spirituality. I believe the "Golden Rule" and 10 Commandments are excellent guidelines for being a good person. If everyone followed those, there would be little need for the rest. I believe everyone should be grateful for the good in their life (no matter how trivial) and try to find a lesson to be learned from the bad. I feel everything in existence is a part of a whole (including ourselves) and therefore, we should care for everything as we would ourselves for it is a part of us, in a sense.

And now I'm going to shut up because I'm probably sounding like a nut job.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Raised Roman Catholic & went to church each Sunday ...... by Sunday afternoon, one of us kids was probably getting a beating for something or other :sad:

Married & found out my husband & in-laws were the BIGGEST hypocrites ...... all dressed up sitting in church on Sunday ...... 5 minutes after church they were gossiping or making rascist remarks :noway:

Got divorced (oooooh, going to hell) ..... remarried to a nice guy ...... maybe we don't go to church every Sunday, but we have faith in God & Jesus ...... and always the hope that mankind can play nice :heart:
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I dont subscribe to a religion. I consider myself a Christian and go to a non-denominational church. I believe Christianity is about the relationship, not religious traditions.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My religion is Christian. I can feel as comfy in a Seventh Day Adventist church as I do a Holiness. It makes no difference to me as long as they have the same core belief. I'm not quite as comfy at a Catholic church because they have a lot of traditional things that I'm not very familiar with, but I do enjoy the Christmas mass. Their funerals are rather lengthy though. LOL
    I am a Southern Baptist, a sinner saved by grace. Thankfully God is more faithful to me than I am to Him because I do not do Him justice at all.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those bad Christians that only go to church on Easter and Christmas Eve...Actually we stopped regularly going to church when they kicked my Pastor out for support gay marriage, worst thing I've ever had to see was my pastor sitting in her office sobbing because she was reading the hate mail people were sending her. I thought as Christians we are supposed to be loving and non-judgmental? I was born and raised in a very closed minded Methodist church with a lot of people set in their ways. It pretty much turned me off from organized religion. I just try to be a good person, I believe in love and the power of Karma and the whole treat people how you wish to be treated type deal.

I too am a Christian but stopped attending church regularly when the senior members of our church felt our Pastor was no longer worthy of heading our church as a result of suffering from a mental illness. I was never so appalled in my entire life as to know a church would not stand up and back his young man and his family. Instead he came to give his Sunday sermon and was told without any notice or kindness that his service was no longer required. Is this the action Jesus would have taken, no, he would have reached out and given his all for this young family.
    I have been struggling to find a church to attend ever since. Most churches I have tried to attend here in my community either have a congregation mostly consisting of seniors and not open to change. If we want our young people to attend church then change is needed. Small changes make a difference in our youth attending church. So I say bring on the drums and guitars and our seniors please respect the young as they are the future of our churches.
    Just saying!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    NO RELIGION
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    MFP is my new religion.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I still belong to a Lutheran Church. However, the older I get the less religious I get and the more spiritual I get.

My relationship with my God has grown and expanded far beyond the doors of any church.

I enjoy going every once in awhile, our Pastor is absolutely amazing and a very gifted speaker.

Religion has been the basis of too many horrific things in our world and I'm glad to say I would not fight for any of them. My great is not your great, my way is not your way and even though my God may not be your God I'm going to love ya anyway :) AMEN :):):)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I will avoid confrontations by simply stating that I am of "other religious affiliation"...
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    atheist
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am a follower of Jesus Christ :). I don't see it as "religion" since religion is basically a habitual practice, or collection of customs, that (to me) seem mindless and pointless. Rather, I have a relationship with the one true, living God. As my pastor says:

-"Religion is sinful man trying to reach a holy God. Relationship is a holy God reaching down to sinful man."

In other words, RELIGION is: trying to make it to heaven through our own efforts...living life and hoping that our good outweighs our bad so that we'll get into heaven...etc (it can go on, and on). However, RELATIONSHIP is admitting that you are a sinner that needs a Savior, excepting the fact that God sent his son Jesus to earth to die for the sins of man by being crucified even though he was blameless, asking Christ to come into your life and fill you with the Holy Spirit, and living a life pleasing to God, our creator.

Its all about GRACE. Coming to terms with the truth: that we don't deserve eternal life in heaven, but God gave us a way (ONE way) to get to heaven because he loves us, and he'll never stop loving us, no matter how bad you think you are. And it's all about MERCY. Realizing that we don't deserve God's blessings because we are sinful, yet God doesn't give us the punishment we deserve (hell) if we sincerely look to Him. Put another way: GRACE is getting something we don't deserve, and MERCY is not getting what we do deserve.

Anyway, that's my view. Jesus loves you!

We are attending a church that preaches just this message. Our motto is "Guilt Free, Grace Full"
  • colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am a follower of Jesus Christ :). I don't see it as "religion" since religion is basically a habitual practice, or collection of customs, that (to me) seem mindless and pointless. Rather, I have a relationship with the one true, living God. As my pastor says:

-"Religion is sinful man trying to reach a holy God. Relationship is a holy God reaching down to sinful man."

In other words, RELIGION is: trying to make it to heaven through our own efforts...living life and hoping that our good outweighs our bad so that we'll get into heaven...etc (it can go on, and on). However, RELATIONSHIP is admitting that you are a sinner that needs a Savior, excepting the fact that God sent his son Jesus to earth to die for the sins of man by being crucified even though he was blameless, asking Christ to come into your life and fill you with the Holy Spirit, and living a life pleasing to God, our creator.

Its all about GRACE. Coming to terms with the truth: that we don't deserve eternal life in heaven, but God gave us a way (ONE way) to get to heaven because he loves us, and he'll never stop loving us, no matter how bad you think you are. And it's all about MERCY. Realizing that we don't deserve God's blessings because we are sinful, yet God doesn't give us the punishment we deserve (hell) if we sincerely look to Him. Put another way: GRACE is getting something we don't deserve, and MERCY is not getting what we do deserve.

Very well said!!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Baptist.

I have always believed that you hate the sin and not the sinner. If you ask what I believe I will tell you but I will not push my beliefs on you unless you are actually willing to hear what they are. I have a relationship with God that only He and I are really aware of. My family has been blessed beyond belief and all I can do is attribute that to Him.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

We are attending a church that preaches just this message. Our motto is "Guilt Free, Grace Full"

Very well spoken...Amen
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am Methodist, husband is Roman Catholic, daughter baptized RC... not really practicing right now.
This discussion has been closed.