What's your religion?

Options

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Generally I say atheist, but I'm really agnostic. I'm open to most ideas & theories, and I have my own beliefs, though none of them involve a god or higher power.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    A lot of people go from religion to atheist, not realizing that religion is not the same as god.

Some people are not looking for any idea of god. That's generally the idea of atheism. We are not searching for a kinder, gentler god. We do not believe in any god at all - benevolent, benign, or malevolent.

This is me...although sometimes i do wonder if theres a higher power kicking my *kitten*!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm Hindu. I don't believe in religion or God though. I do however participate in Indian worshipping ceremonies and festivals if I have to, because I don't care one way or the other, and don't feel the need to tell/explain to everyone around me my beliefs.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am a follower of Jesus Christ :). I don't see it as "religion" since religion is basically a habitual practice, or collection of customs, that (to me) seem mindless and pointless. Rather, I have a relationship with the one true, living God. As my pastor says:

-"Religion is sinful man trying to reach a holy God. Relationship is a holy God reaching down to sinful man."

In other words, RELIGION is: trying to make it to heaven through our own efforts...living life and hoping that our good outweighs our bad so that we'll get into heaven...etc (it can go on, and on). However, RELATIONSHIP is admitting that you are a sinner that needs a Savior, excepting the fact that God sent his son Jesus to earth to die for the sins of man by being crucified even though he was blameless, asking Christ to come into your life and fill you with the Holy Spirit, and living a life pleasing to God, our creator.

Its all about GRACE. Coming to terms with the truth: that we don't deserve eternal life in heaven, but God gave us a way (ONE way) to get to heaven because he loves us, and he'll never stop loving us, no matter how bad you think you are. And it's all about MERCY. Realizing that we don't deserve God's blessings because we are sinful, yet God doesn't give us the punishment we deserve (hell) if we sincerely look to Him. Put another way: GRACE is getting something we don't deserve, and MERCY is not getting what we do deserve.

Anyway, that's my view. Jesus loves you!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:

LOVE this and live by this! And I'd only add that for me..."eternal life" is NOT some place in the "sweet by and by, up yonder somewhere in the distant future but here and now and everyday--but eternal life is knowing God and Jesus Christ and being known of Him now and forevermore. I certainly do believe in "Heaven" though as well:flowerforyou:

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    My father is a non-practicing Jehovah's Witness, and my mother grew up Southern Baptist but is now an atheist. I'm also an atheist.

That is an interesting combination...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Satanist, a guy who is in most religions even when their Gods' change.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Heavy-Liftism and Insanity-ism
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm a monogamous heterosexual. Sound any good?
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Lutheran.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I believe in Jesus Christ, that he was the perfect sacrifice for all mankind's sins and that he rose from the tomb and is alive in heaven today sitting on the right hand of the throne of God and that he is my advocate to God the Father. That being said I believe I have direct access to the throne of God when I pray through Jesus Christ. I don't need a man to confess to. That is what Jesus is for.:wink:
  • Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
    Born again christian
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am a follower of Jesus Christ :). I don't see it as "religion" since religion is basically a habitual practice, or collection of customs, that (to me) seem mindless and pointless. Rather, I have a relationship with the one true, living God. As my pastor says:

-"Religion is sinful man trying to reach a holy God. Relationship is a holy God reaching down to sinful man."

In other words, RELIGION is: trying to make it to heaven through our own efforts...living life and hoping that our good outweighs our bad so that we'll get into heaven...etc (it can go on, and on). However, RELATIONSHIP is admitting that you are a sinner that needs a Savior, excepting the fact that God sent his son Jesus to earth to die for the sins of man by being crucified even though he was blameless, asking Christ to come into your life and fill you with the Holy Spirit, and living a life pleasing to God, our creator.

Its all about GRACE. Coming to terms with the truth: that we don't deserve eternal life in heaven, but God gave us a way (ONE way) to get to heaven because he loves us, and he'll never stop loving us, no matter how bad you think you are. And it's all about MERCY. Realizing that we don't deserve God's blessings because we are sinful, yet God doesn't give us the punishment we deserve (hell) if we sincerely look to Him. Put another way: GRACE is getting something we don't deserve, and MERCY is not getting what we do deserve.

Well said.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah. I said I am an atheist, and I am.

But, I also practice some Secular Buddhism. Basically just vipassana meditation, mindfulness, and I do yoga all for mental, physical and emotional benefits that it has for me. And I really like Thich Nhat Hahn's teachings a lot, in his books and talks. He also has stated that he does not believe in God, souls, reincarnation, etc. So, I do not practice Buddhism as the ancient religion. I practice it as a modern, evolving psychology, philosophy, nice way of living life. This is all very helpful to me personally in very important ways.

How I was raised is very complicated (a combination of things) and doesn't really matter. I have separated from my past, and leave that behind me. I'm a freethinker and approach life from wanting to understand scientifically.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    I'm Agnostic.
    I don't know if there's a god or not.
    Personally I don't want to get involved in religion because truthfully I think it brings out the worst in people, nobody questions anything that's being told to them, nobody truly follows the faith that they believe and they pick it choose the ideas that fits their agenda then what's best for the people.
    If there's god yeah if there isn't a god it doesn't bother me either way.
    I'm gonna live my life how I want on my own terms.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't have "religion" -- I'm a follower of Christ.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    AMEN BROTHER! :o)

• Diamond_angel20
    Options
    Muslim and proud <3
  • KoRnKraZy
    KoRnKraZy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm Agnostic.
    I don't know if there's a god or not.
    Personally I don't want to get involved in religion because truthfully I think it brings out the worst in people, nobody questions anything that's being told to them, nobody truly follows the faith that they believe and they pick it choose the ideas that fits their agenda then what's best for the people.
    If there's god yeah if there isn't a god it doesn't bother me either way.
    I'm gonna live my life how I want on my own terms.

I'm the same :)
This discussion has been closed.