Detoxinating the liver?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you gave a high cholesterol, your liver is very unhealthy. I do have a high cholesterol. My friend told me that if I water fast for 2 days every week, it'll help with the cholesterol, burn more fat, and make me lose weight. Has anyone tried this before? Can anyone tell me if this works?
    Thanks!

To my knowledge, the only correlation between the liver and high cholesterol is high triglycerides which are indicative of a fatty liver.

I had VERY high triglycerides, high LDL cholesterol...low HDL, and was pre-diabetic about 6 months ago. I am now completely normal and have reversed everything in 6 months time. No, there is no magic cleanse or pill or fairy dust...just hard work and dedication.

In general, you need to cut the crap in your diet. Substantially reduce the amount of junk food in your diet to almost nill. Also, no more high fructose corn syrup...if you have sugar it should be from fruits and vegetables and very small amounts of added sugar from whole sources like cane sugar, honey, etc.

Meet your daily fiber goals...try to get in around 30 grams of fiber...try to make 5-6 of those of the soluble variety. Good sources of soluble fiber are whole oats, berries, apricots, oranges, grapefruit (check for interference with meds), and mangos. In the veggie department, get all of your veggies, but Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Potato, and Turnips are good sources of soluble fiber.

Keep you saturated fats in check, particularly saturated meat fats. I keep my consumption of red meat to once per week..maybe twice. Things like hotdogs and sausages should be occasional treats. Ironically, bacon really isn't that bad except for the nitrates (I do nitrate free on weekends). Think more fish/poultry in your diet here...lean cuts of pork like tenderloin and sirloin tip...same for beef. One thing I really had to cut back on was dairy...I was a dairy freak and dairy, in particular cheese, is loaded with saturated fats.

Get more heart healthy fats from things like nuts, nut butters, avocados, fatty fish like salmon and tuna...cook and prepare your foods with olive oil.

In general, just think portion control of natural, whole, nutrient dense foods. It's pretty tough to completely eliminate all processed foods, but do as much as you can. I basically do a Mediterranean inspired diet...lots of veg and fruit...lean proteins...and lots of nuts and olive oil in my diet. Also, you'll want to start getting plenty of exercise. I think when it comes to fixing these problems, it's just as important as the diet. I walk 3 miles 3x weekly and run 3 miles 3x weekly and lift heavy weights 3x weekly for about an hour per session.

To get my numbers down quickly, I was very strict with myself for 4 months and didn't really allow myself any "junk" food. I've been able to ease off a bit, but still, my diet is fairly junk free these days and I'm feeling like a whole new person. Not only am I down 30 Lbs, but I've completely reversed all of that bad blood. Note that I also got the full, all clear from my Doc before pursuing any of this in lieu of medications...you definitely should talk to your doctor.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    MY DH had bad cholesterol. He was skinny and he was not eating badly. So it was more likely to be genetic.

And still, he managed to bring it down by over 100 points!

How? By tracking his saturated fat (no more than 12 grams per day EVERY day) and running hard for minimum half hour 3-4 times a week (EVERY week) for years.

It takes hard work to bring down cholesterol when you are already skinny and not eat badly. But it can still be done.

But... if you do have a genetic issue such as familial hypercholesterolemia then medication is usually necessary. Anyone with a genuine problem should get advice from their clinician and not assume that diet and exercise will be enough.

Half my family have died before 40 due to it despite being fit and skinny due to it. Those nasty pharmaceutical companies do, on occasion, actually save lives with their products (as the other half of my family will attest).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Detox.. totally unnecessary. The liver itself is our bodies detox system.

Generally when people say "detox the liver" they actually mean give the liver a break by not giving it so much crap to process.

Ok....but any kind of "cleanse" or "detox" that actually did what it purported to do (unlikely) would actually do the exact opposite of this. Please, seriously, correct my biology/anatomy if I'm wrong here, but it was my understanding that all "toxins" must go through the liver in order to be eliminated, regardless of from where they were liberated? So, like, if you managed to somehow clear a bunch of "toxins" out of your fat cells or wherever they were supposedly stored, they'd still have to go through the liver before they could be eliminated from your body, thereby actually *overloading* your liver rather than giving it any kind of break?

*Edited to add a few key words to stress that I don't believe that a cleanse or detox would actually work, lol.

You seem to be assuming that every liver detox is a pre-packaged pill or drink. While I don’t doubt that is often the case, it is not always. In fact, in the OP it is not the case, as she suggested only water.

But doctors will sometimes suggest “detox" or "cleansing" diets to help heal the liver.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    And you are missing out.. but it sounds like you made healthy changes and they resulted in better health. Doesn't sound like a cleanse though which is very reasonable.

True. The "Doctor Conspiracy" stuff was just schtick. As you can see I have 2 I rely on.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Generally when people say "detox the liver" they actually mean give the liver a break by not giving it so much crap to process.

Ok....but any kind of "cleanse" or "detox" that actually did what it purported to do (unlikely) would actually do the exact opposite of this. Please, seriously, correct my biology/anatomy if I'm wrong here, but it was my understanding that all "toxins" must go through the liver in order to be eliminated, regardless of from where they were liberated? So, like, if you managed to somehow clear a bunch of "toxins" out of your fat cells or wherever they were supposedly stored, they'd still have to go through the liver before they could be eliminated from your body, thereby actually *overloading* your liver rather than giving it any kind of break?

*Edited to add a few key words to stress that I don't believe that a cleanse or detox would actually work, lol.

You seem to be assuming that every liver detox is a pre-packaged pill or drink. While I don’t doubt that is often the case, it is not always. In fact, in the OP it is not the case, as she suggested only water.

But doctors will sometimes suggest “detox" or "cleansing" diets to help heal the liver.

Yes, where "detox" means "quit drinking and taking recreational drugs." That's a literal detox ;)
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    MY DH had bad cholesterol. He was skinny and he was not eating badly. So it was more likely to be genetic.

And still, he managed to bring it down by over 100 points!

How? By tracking his saturated fat (no more than 12 grams per day EVERY day) and running hard for minimum half hour 3-4 times a week (EVERY week) for years.

It takes hard work to bring down cholesterol when you are already skinny and not eat badly. But it can still be done.

I bolded the part that actually brought his cholesterol down, btw. Probably had zero to do with his saturated fat intake and everything to do with lack of exercise.

He was not inactive before and has been running always, just not as religiously. And btw, they still don't know if this is more influenced by diet or by exercise. DH reads all the scientific articles on the subject and there is no firm conclusion.

The world of medicine moves slowly, especially when moving away from former bedrock principles.

However, it's becoming more and more clear that dietary fat and cholesterol have very little impact on serum cholesterol levels, especially as compared to lifestyle.

Could you pls direct me to the study that convinced you that saturated fat is irrelevant? Thank you.
  • SRH7
    Options

I take it back, some doctors must be out to make money then.
  • SRH7
    Options
    And you are missing out.. but it sounds like you made healthy changes and they resulted in better health. Doesn't sound like a cleanse though which is very reasonable.
    True. The "Doctor Conspiracy" stuff was just schtick. As you can see I have 2 I rely on.

:flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'd find another doctor if I were you. Never have had a doctor (nor heard of any doctor) telling anyone this...ever.
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    Please, Don't do it. Our bodies need water to function properly. Aim to drink 1 gallon/day. Not tea, not coffee, not soda, plain water. If you can't drink it plain add FRESH lemon or lime juice to it. Anything else you drink, ie., Skim milk, fruit juices are not included in the water gallon intake. Try 16 oz first thing in the morining and before each meal. Add the other water intake throughout the day. Personally, I am attached to my water bottle from the time I get up till I put my head down for the night. Stay healthy, don't do fads, talk to your doc, check out a state nutrionist, some hospitals will let you contact their own nutritionalist to help you coordinate a proper weight diet for you age and sex.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes, where "detox" means "quit drinking and taking recreational drugs." That's a literal detox ;)

:laugh: True. Although if the liver problems are not specifically tied to substance abuse, and often even if it is, it may also include things like making sure your food is very fresh and clean (to prevent toxins such as molds), cutting back on processed foods with a lot of additives. Less animal fats, dairy and margarines. Eating more vegetables and fruits.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'd find another doctor if I were you. Never have had a doctor (nor heard of any doctor) telling anyone this...ever.

How does a doctor suggestion a diet make more money than one suggesting or prescribing something else? I've heard of several doctors doing it. Some doctors prefer to try a more natural approach before prescribing pills (for which they often do get a monetary kickback).

Personally, I look for doctors that suggest diet or lifestyle changes as a first line of defense rather than those that break out the prescription pad before even trying anything else.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a great way to get your cholesterol down.

Getting the appropriate amount of water in your diet is a great way to "detox", as your organs already do that...

Anyone trying to sell you a "cleanse" is either being fooled by someone taking their money, or is trying to fool you to take your money. Don't buy into the bulls**t
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How does a doctor suggestion a diet make more money than one suggesting or prescribing something else? I've heard of several doctors doing it. Some doctors prefer to try a more natural approach before prescribing pills (for which they often do get a monetary kickback).

Personally, I look for doctors that suggest diet or lifestyle changes as a first line of defense rather than those that break out the prescription pad before even trying anything else.

If your liver is damaged and your doctor is telling you to do a cleanse or detox to help heal it...that's a big red flag that this person might have no idea what they are talking about.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If your liver is damaged and your doctor is telling you to do a cleanse or detox to help heal it...that's a big red flag that this person might have no idea what they are talking about.

Not true, though an unhealthy liver does not necessarily mean permanent damage. Giving it less to do by eating a healthier diet can often prevent permanent damage. You seem to be getting too hung up on a personal aversion to the term "detox".
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

:laugh: True. Although if the liver problems are not specifically tied to substance abuse, and often even if it is, it may also include things like making sure your food is very fresh and clean (to prevent toxins such as molds), cutting back on processed foods with a lot of additives. Less animal fats, dairy and margarines. Eating more vegetables and fruits.

I'm not assuming that any "cleanse" is anything pre-packaged. I'm assuming that it's something performed in order to rid the body (or the liver, as specifically identified here) of toxins. My comment still stands. NO doctor will suggest doing something to *rid* your body of toxins. That specific process/goal would be at best ineffective and at worse damaging to your body, as I originally noted. Now, what is mentioned here is a COMPLETELY different concept. Eating less crap in order to give your liver less to do is NOT what is traditionally called a "detox." It's called being healthy. Of course that will result in health benefits.
  • SRH7
    Options

A doctor suggesting a healthier diet - yes.

A doctor suggesting a “detox" or "cleansing" diet (as you said in an earlier post) - no.

No doctor worth their salt will back up the notion that you can somehow "detox" your liver, unless you are in need of rehab.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the beer.

beertoast.jpg
  • bcattoes
    Options

A doctor suggesting a healthier diet - yes.

A doctor suggesting a “detox" or "cleansing" diet (as you said in an earlier post) - no.

No doctor worth their salt will back up the notion that you can somehow "detox" your liver, unless you are in need of rehab.

Ah, semantics. The # 1 thing to look for in a doctor. :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'm not assuming that any "cleanse" is anything pre-packaged. I'm assuming that it's something performed in order to rid the body (or the liver, as specifically identified here) of toxins. My comment still stands. NO doctor will suggest doing something to *rid* your body of toxins. That specific process/goal would be at best ineffective and at worse damaging to your body, as I originally noted. Now, what is mentioned here is a COMPLETELY different concept. Eating less crap in order to give your liver less to do is NOT what is traditionally called a "detox." It's called being healthy. Of course that will result in health benefits.

Sorry, 30 years in healthcare tells me that many use the term "detox".