Detoxinating the liver?

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A doctor suggesting a healthier diet - yes.
    A doctor suggesting a “detox" or "cleansing" diet (as you said in an earlier post) - no.
    No doctor worth their salt will back up the notion that you can somehow "detox" your liver, unless you are in need of rehab.
    Ah, semantics. The # 1 thing to look for in a doctor. :tongue:

Not semantics dear but whether or not a doctor has a basic understanding of human biology. Pretty important I think.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    A doctor suggesting a “detox" or "cleansing" diet (as you said in an earlier post) - no.
    No doctor worth their salt will back up the notion that you can somehow "detox" your liver, unless you are in need of rehab.

Not semantics dear but whether or not a doctor has a basic understanding of human biology. Pretty important I think.

And a bar exam to get an MD license is for what? It is semantics on a laymen's level.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No, sweetie pie, it's just semantics.
  • mamabravo68
    Options
    milk thistle is a good liver detox as well:happy:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Sorry, 30 years in healthcare tells me that many use the term "detox".

That's fine if many doctors use that term, but in this context, that's NOT what we're talking about. The OP was referring to an active behavior (in this case, a 2 day/week water fast) which is designed to *rid the liver of toxins.* Some doctor may call a dietary change made to reduce stress on the liver a "detox" or a "cleanse," but that's just not what we're discussing. A good doctor would never recommend "cleansing the liver of toxins" in the sense that's usually described here on MFP (and to which I believe the OP was referring).
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want to detoxinate my brain........:tongue:
  • Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your liver detoxes itself automatically, that is one of the marvelous things it does. Detox diets are hippie rubbish (imho :)). If your liver needed 'detoxing' you would be very unwell already. High cholesterol is a possible result of many many things. Don't overdo the drinking (really, do not), eat well and varied and get some exercise daily. If you still have high cholesterol after a while go and see a doctor.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Your body detoxes naturally through the organs of elimination: skin, lungs, small and large intestines, liver and kidneys (check it out - these are also common sites for cancer). Unfortunately these organs are highly overworked due to the incredible levels of toxins we expose them to on a daily basis.

I've never done a water fast, but I have limited my diet to raw foods. I believe organic raw foods to be the best solution if you want to help your body to eliminate toxins (by limiting the ones you introduce into your system so they have a chance to deal with the backlog). While a water fast will not help you to lose weight in a sustainable way, incorporating raw foods into your diet on a permanent basis will not only help you keep weight from creeping up but is a natural way to help lower your bad cholesterol.

Good luck.

What toxins am I eating and introducing into my system?? I'd just like to avoid getting them in the first place.

Research what your food is grown with, treated with, packaged with, and prepared with.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothin, never needs no detoxination. It's science!
    tumblr_mjoj21bmU41s1l981o1_500.gif

For a more meaningful treatment of the subject matter in question, consider the following link as an excellent start for doing your own research into the dubious claims of so-called detoxification products.

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/debunking-detox.html
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do that. That will be horrible for your body.

What I do: Every morning I start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I also do a "Detox" Yoga session every morning. It aids your digestion as well. It is just 20 minutes but it is full of twists and inversions which help rinse out your organs.

And seek some advice from your doctor. He may have some natural cleansing tips for you as well. A water fast will not be healthy for you in the long run!

What yoga routine are you doing? Is it from a yoga DVD?
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want to detoxinate my brain........:tongue:

winning post
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I don't know about detoxinating, but switching to a plant based diet worked for me.
    I had high blood pressure & high cholesterol. My doctor suggested that I try a plant based diet to see if that would help me. I switched to a low-fat vegetarian diet and it worked great for me. My average blood pressure went from 158/98 to 96/64, and total cholesterol went from 230 to under 140. Good luck to you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes naturally through the organs of elimination: skin, lungs, small and large intestines, liver and kidneys (check it out - these are also common sites for cancer). Unfortunately these organs are highly overworked due to the incredible levels of toxins we expose them to on a daily basis.

I've never done a water fast, but I have limited my diet to raw foods. I believe organic raw foods to be the best solution if you want to help your body to eliminate toxins (by limiting the ones you introduce into your system so they have a chance to deal with the backlog). While a water fast will not help you to lose weight in a sustainable way, incorporating raw foods into your diet on a permanent basis will not only help you keep weight from creeping up but is a natural way to help lower your bad cholesterol.

Good luck.

What toxins am I eating and introducing into my system?? I'd just like to avoid getting them in the first place.

Research what your food is grown with, treated with, packaged with, and prepared with.

This hadn't answered the question. Please answer the question. What toxins?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Also, exactly what ones does a detox eliminate and how?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Good luck.

This ^^ plus storage and preparation.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Good luck.

Also, exactly what ones does a detox eliminate and how?

What do you mean by "a detox"?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Good luck.

It depends on soil content, pesticides, fertilizers, weather, temperature as well as many other things. Toxins are introduced into our bodies through food on a regular basis.
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    You'll have gall stones in no time...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

It depends on soil content, pesticides, fertilizers, weather, temperature as well as many other things. Toxins are introduced into our bodies through food on a regular basis.

Name one toxin that results from those that the body cannot naturally deal with it. Just one. We aren't asking for a thesis paper. Just one.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If your digestive organs are over taxed, then it does make sense to give them a break by eating less or not at all (fasting).