Fit & Fun Sized Group ~ May '10

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options

I don't like yoga for the very reason it's not your favorite. It's just too slow for my taste and it doesn't help that the P90X yoga workout is 90 minutes long. Everyone tells me to look into some dvds by other ppl but haven't wrapped my mind around that just yet. Let me know how you like them and which ones you have.

I went to a yoga class that lasted 90 minutes and it was too long for me :laugh: The two yoga DVDs I have are by Rodney Yee. Yoga for Beginners is easy and includes a section on how to do the poses......it has two yoga sessions, each is 20 minutes long. "AM Yoga" has five different sessions, each is 20-25 minutes long and is more challenging. I just finished doing one of the routines. I like the way it makes me mindful of my body in a slow way that I can't do when I'm dancing or walking......there are some great stretches including several that I still can't do because I'm not flexible enough. I started doing yoga about a year ago because three of my heroes on another thread kept talking about it and recommending it. I still go for more activity when given a choice, but I've begun to recognize the benefits of yoga and have had it as a goal for several months......this month is the best I've ever done (about three times a week)

:flowerforyou: So now I've done yoga and can head off to line dance with lots of movement and great music:smile:

:flowerforyou: light1980
    I weighed about 125 in 1988 when I met my husband........I weighed 183 on our 20th anniversary which is when I started my weight loss journey......be vigilant and be grateful that your boyfriend embraces your healthy lifestyle.....my husband has loved me at any weight but now he can't get over how good I look.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Perhaps I'll check out Rodney Yee's dvds but I'm not sold on the idea of yoga yet so it's going to take a lot of convincing. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Light: Glad your boyfriend is supportive in your weight loss journey. With his support and your determination you are bound to meet and exceed your goals.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome Melody and Megatron123.

There has been an interest in another forum on the ab exercises my DD is doing as part of her recovery from hip surgery. So, I thought I'd copy them in here in case there is any interest.

Pelvic lifts -
    Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor, arms at your side palms down. Lift your pelvic up in the air as high as it will go, hold up to 5 seconds and lower. Do this 10 times, when it gets easy add in another set of 10, then up to 2 sets of 10 for 30 total. It took Anna several weeks to get up to 30. This never goes above 30.

Abdominal curls -
    Same position as above except your arms are bent so that your hands are touching your ears. Curl up getting your shoulders off the ground. What ever you get when you curl up is fine. Don't use your momentum to swing up. It is just your shoulders and head that curl up. Again, start with 10, get up to 30, but don't go over 30.

Marching -
    Same position as Pelvic Lifts. Lift one let at a time so that your calve is parallel with the floor. 10 lifts each leg. When you get to where 30 repetitions are easy, start extending your leg, pulling it back and putting it down. This also never gets over 30 at the higher level.

Side planks -
    Lie on your side, legs bent at knee, keeping a straight line with your body. You are up on your elbow. Upper hand on your hip. Lift your hip off the ground as high as you can and hold up to 5 seconds. Lower down. Start with 5 on each side. As it gets easier add in more repetitions until you get to 30 each side.

Remember - these exercises are for people recovering from extensive surgery and are all designed to be done slowly so that the abs are engaged and you don't use other muscle groups to compensate.

She did them every day for 10 weeks building the reps up to 30 for each exercise before she dropped to 3 times a week. She went from a size 14 before the surgery to a size 8 (which she was flaunting in my face over the weekend) but only lost 2 pounds. She was not on a diet and doing about 40 minutes a day on a stationary bike at the lowest level and relatively slowly. Like not even breaking a sweat. She is 15 years old.

So, you guessed it. I started doing her ab workout last weekend and will see what it does for me in 10 weeks. lol

On the subject of Yoga - I love Yoga, but I do Power Vinyasu Flow yoga which is a moving form of Yoga. You don't hold poses for very long and flow from one into another. If you don't like Yoga, find out what kind of Yoga it is and try a different kind before giving up on it all together. I suggest renting videos or checking out the free downloads on the internet.

Happy Friday!

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: Jeannie, I just copied the exercises and printed them so I can read them while I try them......I don't think I'll actually join the challenge that you and the others are doing but I'm going to try and do the exercises as an addition to what I'm already doing....Thanks :bigsmile:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon all! I decided to listen to my body today and not complete an intense workout. I had been dragging all week and my mood was not the best. Instead of completing the Kenpo X workout I decided to do the Leslie Sansone WATP dvd. I'm about to head out and complete some errands.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! I have been logging in and completing my workouts late this weekend in a real attempt to catch up on my rest and relaxation. While I still feel a little drained I can tell the rest has helped especially as it relates to my mood. It's been a low key weekend and it will be short work week for me as my trip to LA is finally arriving this Thursday. I'm extremely excited although disappointed that the weather in LA will be 10-15 degrees cooler than GA weather. Nonetheless, I plan to enjoy myself to the fullest.

Since today is technically my rest day I decided to take it light. I headed to the park in an attempt to jog another 2+ miles but because I waited so long to get out there the temperature was too brutal for my liking (80 degrees w/humidity) so I ran a mile and walked a mile. If I continue to try to run outside I will have to do it a lot earlier b/c I didn't like how I felt one bit.

Now I'm off to fold and iron clothes and then chill for the rest of the day.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Checking in here... one week down (way too many to go). I've exercised 3 times this week -- not much any time but I'm trying to convince myself something is better than nothing! I walked about 1/3 of a mile yesterday (at the park)in about 5 minutes and then had to stop because I was exhausted! A few minutes later my dh and son came up and I walked another 1/3 mile lap at a slower pace, which was easier... then hung out at the park while my son played a while longer. I felt like I should have been able to do more than that, but then my dh told me it was 91 outside yesterday... which made me feel a little better. :) I am just hitting the part of the month where I am down and low energy anyway (which unfortunately is about 1/2 the month for me), and I'm saying that because I need motivation to keep going this next week! Think my goal is going to be exercise 3x for 30 minutes at a time... which is doable... and then keep moving up from there.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning and happy Monday all! Today is week 6 day 1 of the P90X program which means it's Chest, Shoulders and Triceps day. Last week was my first time completing this routine and I received my first injury (rug burn). I was better prepared this morning, I strapped on the knee pads and I used a yoga mat to ensure no rug burns this week. Looking like I was prepared for battle I pressed play and got busy. I still think having to complete all these push ups (slow motion 3 in 1, plange, floor fly, 2 twitch speed, side to side, 1 arm, clap/plyo and 1 arm balance push ups) in one day should be illegal but I didn't complain nearly as much as last week. I'm hopeful that my level of complaining will continue to decrease as my upper body strength increases :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • light1980
    light1980 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    While I am a morning person and much rather get the workout over and done w/it, I wonder if all these 5 am workouts are beginning to run their course.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I did not work out at all last week before work. I get up at 4:30 to work out and they were just exhausting me. I am back on track...I did my 2 mile walk away the pounds dvd...I feel so great...hopefully I can keep it up!!

Have a great day :-)
  • light1980
    Options
    Barbie and Choco: I am very grateful for Rob (today we have been together for 2 months). And I know with his help and determination I will look great in my eyes too. Thanks girls!! :-)
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile: Good Morning.....it is sunny and about 50 degrees here in far NW Washington where spring still hasn't really appeared.......here, we stay indoors because it's too cold not because it's too hot:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Chocolickkyss strength training is something that I have been trying to add for a long time. I have 3, 5, and 10 pounds weights and ankle weights and fitness bands out where I can see them but I tend to opt for crunches or Jeannie's abdominal exercises or the exercise bike in front of the TV.

:flowerforyou: Melody, you are absolutely right.....some exercise is better than none......stay with it and you will be surprised how you will begin to add more over time.

:flowerforyou: This morning set up the Wii Sports.......I have two characters (one right handed and one left handed) so I get a workout with both sides......today I did the Wii Fitness Test and my fitness age came out 50 right handed and 49 left handed :laugh: When my hubby bought this, I thought it would be a waste of my time, but now I love it and my arms know they had a workout....it's not as well rounded as real strength training, but as I just said, "some exercise is better than none" or even more important.........the best exercise is the one that you'll do.

:flowerforyou: light1980 you are so right to be grateful for a supportive many...congrats on the two months

:flowerforyou: Yesterday I paid attention to my step counter and realized that I walked almost two miles while the dogs were running and chasing birds.

:flowerforyou: enjoy your day :heart: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning all! Today is week 6 day 2 of the P90X program and the Plyometrics workout is COMPLETE! I really, really brought it this morning despite the fact that I didn't go to sleep until about 2 am and was up at 5 am to begin the work day. I'm sure the lack of sleep will catch up w/me at some point today. I had a nice recovery drink and a yummy cheese omlet and now I'm about to start getting dressed to head to work.

The countdown has begun, 2 days before departing for L.A......can you tell i'm excited (smile). I need a vacay so bad. Today after work I head straight to the nail salon so I can get a full set (acrylic nails) and a pedicure.
  • light1980
    Options
    So mad at myself...woke up at 4:30 to work out and then reset my alarm for 6 instead....grrr...I hate when I do that. I do plan on going to the health club today though to run and take my Zumba class...Rob makes fun of my because that is the one class I will not miss, which means I miss his daughters' baseball games (I go on Mondays to the games,that should be enough right?).

I eat so well during breakfast and lunch (the special k diet....love cereal) but it's dinner that I can't seem get right. I always seem to eat too much (not all the time, even though it seems like it). What are some of the things you all like to eat during dinner that is appetizing, yet filling at the same time? Thanks!!

Happy Tuesday everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Keakia
    Keakia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Can't believe it's Tues. I feel like I need a redo of Monday! Last week was crazy with family in town and now I'm on day 3 of caring for a very sick, vomiting, 3 year old. UGH! Needless to say, I've slipped a bit in my diet and exercise, but I'm determined to get back on track! No excuses!
    Enjoy your day!!!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Got hubby to do yoga with me this morning.....he says he wants to do it every morning and that we need a schedule of getting up and fitting it in before we have to leave the house (him to golf, me to line dance)

:flowerforyou: It was a beautiful day so the dogs and I spent and hour and a half at the dog park and got some super exercise.....the grass is so tall that walking in it is a lot more of a workout than just the 2 miles my pedometer says that I walked.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning all. It's hump day and 1 day til my L.A. departure......Yippeee! Today is week 6 day 3 of the P90X program and the Back and Bicep workout is complete. I don't know if it's all the excitement I have about going on vacation w/the girls or the fact that I did less intense workouts over the weekend but I have had a lot more energy the past three days than I did last week. Whatever the reason I hope it lasts b/c I really didn't like the way I felt at all. My body was tired and my mood was funky. Since yesterday's protein shake and cheese omelet was so yummy I decided to make it again.

Yesterday I headed to the nail salon after work in order to get my full set and pedicure and today I'm headed to the hair salon where I'll get the hair and eyebrows done. I tell you, it takes a lot of work and MONEY to get ready for vacation....LOL
  • jam0525
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Choco- Have fun in LA!

Barbie - That is a good idea about the two Wii Sports players. I may try it myself.

I'm doing OK and ready to break this plateau I've had lately.

To all others - I hope you are all doing well and getting ready for a weekend of good choices.

JAM
  • jam0525
    Options
    Checking in here... one week down (way too many to go). I've exercised 3 times this week -- not much any time but I'm trying to convince myself something is better than nothing! I walked about 1/3 of a mile yesterday (at the park)in about 5 minutes and then had to stop because I was exhausted! A few minutes later my dh and son came up and I walked another 1/3 mile lap at a slower pace, which was easier... then hung out at the park while my son played a while longer. I felt like I should have been able to do more than that, but then my dh told me it was 91 outside yesterday... which made me feel a little better. :) I am just hitting the part of the month where I am down and low energy anyway (which unfortunately is about 1/2 the month for me), and I'm saying that because I need motivation to keep going this next week! Think my goal is going to be exercise 3x for 30 minutes at a time... which is doable... and then keep moving up from there.

Back in November 2008 when I first started this journey I could on excercise for 5 minutes before my muscles got sore. It took a long time to get to wear 30 minutes didn't kick my u-no-wat. Hang in there and don't give up. You can do it.

JAM
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Thursday! Today is week 6 day 4 of the P90X series which means it's a Yoga day but as usual I've switched it out for a little cardio. Since I just got my hair done last night I didn't want to jump around and sweat it out too bad so I opted for a shorten version of the Cardio X workout (I skipped past the Yoga). I wanted to make sure I got the workout in prior to heading to the airport now anything else I do during the course of the day will just be icing on the cake.

Ladies, thank you so much for the well wishes as it relates to my trip. Since the only computer access I will have will be the Blackberry I doubt I'll be able to post very much but look forward to sharing the details of the trip upon my return.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: today was day three of yoga with hubby and we're headed to bed early so we can get up tomorrow and do it again and still get to line dance and the golf course by 9 AM