Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    Personally, I hate running in the daytime because there are wayyyyyyy more creepers out and I feel completely exposed. The ONLY TIMES I have had problems with creepy MF-ers or guys whistling, honking, or pulling over to talk to me is when I go out in the daytime. I PREFER running at night. No problems at all!!! And this will make people cringe: I don't take any gun, knife, mace or other kind of weapon with me. Just my keys, my phone and my mp3 player. No problems yet in nearly a year of running in a moderate crime area :D
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

I didnt know they came in white, i only have the purple pair!

Make my day and give me a reason!!

Some states that still have gun control laws will allow concealed carry of a taser. Personally, I run during the day at my gym b/c of convenience but have run at night in my small town where nothing ever happens. I have played with the idea of pepper spray, but again, if the wind isn't blowing in the right direction, you'll get yourself too.

What about a noise maker like this: http://www.womenonguard.com/Search.bok?category=Personal+Alarms

It might not incapacitate your creeper, but it would probably draw a lot of attention/annoy the hell out of him. And if he got close enough to grab, you should shove it in his ear. :wink:

Seriously, though, I wouldn't be opposed to running in those shorts up there with a little .22 or 9mm tucked inside. Sometimes the gun is enough of a deterent for creepers and you wouldn't actually have to be a good shot. Hell, sometimes just carrying pepper spray is threat enough too.
  • anniealedsm
    Options
    Tip one: if someone asks you for the time, do not look down at your watch. This is an opportunity to grab you. Keep looking at them.

Tip two: DO NOT wear stuff in ears, such as headphones or earbuds. You will not be as alert, and it's easier for them to take you.

Tip three: Look around! If you look alert, you are less likely to be targeted. Notice your surroundings. Where is the nearest phone? How dark is it where you parked your car? Etc.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Keys in hand is more likely to hurt you than someone else, at least according to my self defense teacher.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I live in a affluent suburb of Buffalo. Very safe town. 5 or 6 years ago a woman (wife and mother) was murdered on the bike path not far from our house. It happened to be the same anniversary of another local womans death 20 years before. Turns out it was a serial rapist/murderer in the area that had never been caught - until this most recent death.

Please take this seriously and carry mace.

for anyone interested in the story he was known as the bike bath rapist, Buffalo area. Altemio Sanchez. I believe he killed 3 women but was responsible for multiple rapes in the area for a 20 or 30 year period. Very scary. All of these women were running on bike paths, alone.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person.
    This isn't possible. Anybody could be armed at any time. And if they are and you're not then you're not really going to have any line of defense against a potential attacker.

I couldn't live with such paranoia. its true that anyone could be armed (much lower chance where I live) but I couldn't walk out the door every day thinking that everyone is a potential murder/rapist. I take sensible precautions when I go out alone, like keep to well populated areas, get cabs home late at night etc.

I use the underground and buses most days, and someone could potentially attempt another 7/7 terrorist attack but I don't stop using public transport. You remain vigilant and get on with life.

It really isn't being paranoid to understand that there is evil and evil people in the world that would harm others simply to get a kick out of their distress.

I sympathize with those who cannot carry weapons in self defense. Your government has done you a great disservice. For those who can carry weapons, learn to use them and carry them. A 120 pound woman is no match for a 220 pound man, but a small pocket pistol and knowing how and WHEN to use it will make up for a lot of muscle and few brains.

If you can use weapons, practice with them and use them. If you cannot, get into martial arts, pray for safety, keep to well lit areas with people around, and keep the headphones OFF.

I think the only thing my government has done right is not allow most people to bear arms without appropriate training and license.. our crime rate and population compared to that of the US is much different and it would be unnecessary for everyone to walk around with a gun. Why not train people martial arts instead of carrying arms? Just curious.. I want to hear other reasons aside from the right to bare arms.
    In the US we can't carry concealed without proper training and a license either. We don't just stick guns in our pants and start walking around.
    Martial arts isn't a complete alternative. Carrying a weapon should NOT be anybody's first line of defense, so being prepared to get away from the situation is key. A firearm should only be used in an extreme case where you're physically not capable of getting out of the situation without serious injury/death. When martial arts fails, you draw your weapon.

Thanks for answering and providing a pretty fair answer at that.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Please email me the sight....I have a bra that I can clip into, but I don't like the bulge in the front.

Thanks.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I carry. I have a holster that conceals it pretty well. Also, I have a taser. It took a minute to get use to running while carrying my weapon but the holster made it pretty easy. I don't do it as often now because I have a treadmill in my back yard. Mace is also a good choice.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I carry. I have a holster that conceals it pretty well. Also, I have a taser. It took a minute to get use to running while carrying my weapon but the holster made it pretty easy. I don't do it as often now because I have a treadmill in my back yard. Mace is also a good choice.
    Can I ask what holster you use? Not many good options out there.. most require a sturdy belt or VERY tight pants to stay in place it seems.
  • holsieg
    holsieg Posts: 21
    Options
    Well, being from the UK, I can't (and wouldn't if I could) take a gun out running. Where I live, I never run anywhere more than a sprint away from houses, so it's not really an issue for me.

Brits live in a different culture to US citizens; we just can't see how guns are necessary. I always think that the only instance in which I'd need a gun, is if everyone else in my country had a gun as well.

A question for Americans on here out of simple curiosity (not intended in a way to attack your views), is it considered justified in the US to kill someone, for say, breaking into your home. I mean morally rather than legally.
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    I live in a city with awesome bike trails. I stick to the populated trails that are filled with people training for a race of some sort. I only go when there is enough light to see everything around me.

As for the holster shorts.....all I can say is CHAFFING!
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    Well, being from the UK, I can't (and wouldn't if I could) take a gun out running. Where I live, I never run anywhere more than a sprint away from houses, so it's not really an issue for me.

Brits live in a different culture to US citizens; we just can't see how guns are necessary. I always think that the only instance in which I'd need a gun, is if everyone else in my country had a gun as well.

A question for Americans on here out of simple curiosity (not intended in a way to attack your views), is it considered justified in the US to kill someone, for say, breaking into your home. I mean morally rather than legally.
    For just breaking in? No. If they break in and come at me then the situation is completely different. If I walk into my living room and see a person forcing entry, they spot me and attempt to flee then I definitely wouldn't use any force. If they're theatening my life and coming towards me then you'd be morally insane (in my opinion) to not react.

It's also illegal to shoot somebody in the back where I live. It's both morally and legally wrong.
  • holsieg
    holsieg Posts: 21
    Options
    For just breaking in? No. If they break in and come at me then the situation is completely different. If I walk into my living room and see a person forcing entry, they spot me and attempt to flee then I definitely wouldn't use any force. If they're theatening my life and coming towards me then you'd be morally insane (in my opinion) to not react.

It's also illegal to shoot somebody in the back where I live. It's both morally and legally wrong.

Fair enough. Thanks for your answer :)
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Fair enough. Thanks for your answer :)
    What would you do in a situation if an armed (or unarmed) person is spotted forcing entry into your home? Just out of curiosity
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

If someone was breaking in my house with my family there, i would probably fight to the death. I dont know what their intentions are when they are breaking in, is it to steal something? To harm my children? i have no idea and I dont intend to find out. Yes I would kill someone if they broke into my house.

With that said, I do not own any guns and wont allow them in my house.

there was actually a young woman that shot and I believe killed 2 men breaking in her house, she was alone with her newborn - she was praised for her actions.

There was another story of a woman alone with her two children when someone broke in and she also shot and killed him....again the police and the nation praised her...she saved her life and her childrens lives.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    For the ladies with CCW---- http://www.pistolwear.com/
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I live in small town in eastern canada, If I was out running, the worst thing that would happen is that somone stop and ask if I needed a drive home :)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I live in small town in eastern canada, If I was out running, the worst thing that would happen is that somone stop and ask if I needed a drive home :)

In a van with the windows blacked out? I would not get in!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This past weekend I was running with 5 other people. As we were passing a walker, we heard a sound and he had a switchblade in his hand. Nothing happened but it made me realize I need to be safer when I run. None of us had phones so I'll be sure to carry mine from now on. I'm not carrying weapons because most are illegal here. I just make sure my music isn't too loud, I constantly scan my surroundings, and try to jog in populated areas. Sometimes I bring my Shepherd with me too. I also purchased Road I.D. so if I'm hurt, emergency responders have some very vital information.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

^ I want those shorts sooo bad.