Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• Icedrgn
    Icedrgn Posts: 17
    Options
    Concealed carry and a cell phone. Only listen to music in one ear if its an option.

When I was training for a marathon the number of d-bags that would threaten me was surprising.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I run with a blade in mmy belt and a stun gun (small fry) in my hand. Phone in the other. sometimes I bring the pepper sray instead of the stun gun
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I personally don't worry about it! I was in the Marines... so, let someone try something! LOL

Seriously though, for most women though, I would say be aware of your surroundings, look around. Don't put in your ear buds and never survey your surroundings. I wouldn't advise running after dark but if you have to, make sure you are in a well lit area. I would also stay in areas where you aren't alone. If you can be in residential type areas, at least you would have a house to knock on if you had some trouble. If possible, have a cell phone with you so you can call 911 and make sure you have a good charge on it!!
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area, which means unless I drive 20+ minutes, I have to make do here. When I run the roads, I have pepper spray, not legal to buy here, but if it saves my life, I will deal with the consequences. When I run our hill, I conceal carry, bc, well there are bears on my hill. I've seen them on my runs, and while pepper spray may work, I am not taking the chance!

When I was in the Navy I was walking off base, thinking I was a bad @ss, a van pulled over, tried to pull me in. Thankfully a group of people happened to come up behind me as I was trying to fight off two guys. This incident made me hyper vigilant of my surroundings, when I do my road runs, I dont have loud music on, I always have my cell asleep, but predialed to 911, or my husband if he is home, pretty sure my apology for accidentally calling would be better than being assaulted or worse.

Find a running buddy! Doesn't have to be 4 legged, or if you prefer solo runs like me, find a run club in your area, can do a group run while maintaining your solo status.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses so I apologize if I'm repeating, but there is an app called "Circle of 6". If something happens to you or creeps you out you can hit the app and it will send out an instant emergency message to your top 6 contacts. It will also tell them where you are. This, along with mace or another form of protection would be smart.

I haven't heard of that app before...thanks for the info!
  • Angie1366
    Angie1366 Posts: 85
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Knives? Guns? Mace? All illegal in the UK.

Don't run in stupid places. Be aware of secluded corners. Don't be afraid to kick up your heels and run faster if something doesn't feel right. Better you sprint off and be thought of as weird than ignore your spidey sense.

Why is mace illegal?

Because in the UK we do not want every tom **** and harry carrying weapons... If anyone here carries any form of weapon.. be it a blade, a club, a baseball bat, a pistol, a crossbow or any form of Spray (mace and pepper), they are breaking the law....

It seems we have a lot less deaths from the use of offensive weapons because of our laws.

This does not stop crime - there are always the perverts, and the chancers, willing to jump on a passing victim... nothing will stop that....

Some cyclists over here wear helmet cameras... maybe if you wear a camera and video your run... ? Maybe if you just keep people aware of the route as I said before.... do not run in dangerous areas - this guy was obviously just some testosterone fuelled fool who wanted to get your attention. Nothing will ever stop that - it is like going in a bar and a man smiing at you and saying - Lokking gorgeous babe, fancy a drink... you just ignore him don't you - unless he is lucky and you think he is worth a punt....

Dear Me... Sit in work over lunch, lock the doors at home - don't wear make-up, don't wear anything that makes you look attractive... become a devout islamic cover your whole body... IT STILL WON'T stop a determined person from yelling at you if they feel like it!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Jog in safe neighborhoods....even if it is not your own. I'm scared of mountain lions on the trails. There are lots of warning signs posted up in the hills. I will carry a knife for my next woodland hike !
  • NaturallyladyE
    Options
    I tote my little pink bottle of mace on me at all times!!! Because it makes me feel safe and if someone approaches me and tries to grab me at least i can stun them to give me a little time to scream for help and run to the nearest house i can find. I tend to go to a family oriented park that has a track on it though or walk on a school track instead of just around the neighborhood.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Don't run in stupid places. Be aware of secluded corners. Don't be afraid to kick up your heels and run faster if something doesn't feel right. Better you sprint off and be thought of as weird than ignore your spidey sense.

Why is mace illegal?

Because in the UK we do not want every tom **** and harry carrying weapons... If anyone here carries any form of weapon.. be it a blade, a club, a baseball bat, a pistol, a crossbow or any form of Spray (mace and pepper), they are breaking the law....

It seems we have a lot less deaths from the use of offensive weapons because of our laws.

This does not stop crime - there are always the perverts, and the chancers, willing to jump on a passing victim... nothing will stop that....

Some cyclists over here wear helmet cameras... maybe if you wear a camera and video your run... ? Maybe if you just keep people aware of the route as I said before.... do not run in dangerous areas - this guy was obviously just some testosterone fuelled fool who wanted to get your attention. Nothing will ever stop that - it is like going in a bar and a man smiing at you and saying - Lokking gorgeous babe, fancy a drink... you just ignore him don't you - unless he is lucky and you think he is worth a punt....

Dear Me... Sit in work over lunch, lock the doors at home - don't wear make-up, don't wear anything that makes you look attractive... become a devout islamic cover your whole body... IT STILL WON'T stop a determined person from yelling at you if they feel like it!

Wow.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have never been the type of person to be overly cautious while running alone. During the summer months I like to outside and enjoy a nice night run, usually with my head phones on just doing my thing. I do, after all, live in a small town, and bad things don’t happen in small towns….Right? (please note the sarcasm) I have been honked at, whistled at and even yelled at by passing motorists before and it doesn't normaly bother me, I usually just ignore them.

Earlier today however, as I was running, a gentlemen actually pulled his car over in front of me to tell me that I was “looking good, girl” and grinned and watched me pass….This totally freaked me out!! Who does that?? Now, I am starting to rethink this whole “not being overly cautious” thing.

What do you ladies do to protect yourself while running alone? I wish I had a dog, but I don't, and in this particular case I was running on my lunch break. Thanks for your advice in advance!

I don't run or walk alone. I have a dangerous job and have had my life threatened, been robbed, been threatened with bodily harm, and had a guy call telling me he knew all about me and was going to come get me, keep me chained in a closet, and kill me when he was done with me.

I carry pepper spray at all times either in the pocket of my hoodie or clipped to my pants. I watch my back constantly and am hypervigilant.
  • jade2112
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Why is mace illegal?

I carry police grade pepper spray at all times and keep it easily accessible. Sometimes people comment and I ignore them.
  • jade2112
    Options
    I am not a lady but the ones I know, either run at an indoor gym, carry a Ruger LCP (gun), or run with someone.
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

Seriously, we have a new concealed carry law in Wisconsin and I'm really thinking of getting one. It's only $50 and one class.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Because in the UK we do not want every tom **** and harry carrying weapons... If anyone here carries any form of weapon.. be it a blade, a club, a baseball bat, a pistol, a crossbow or any form of Spray (mace and pepper), they are breaking the law.
    Because criminals attacking people care about breaking the law.
  • ChaosMoosie
    ChaosMoosie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed by all of the "carry a gun" comments". It's not legal in DC, so my guns can't leave my house, but how does this work? Am I supposed to shove a gun in my compression shorts? Maybe find a ipod/gun arm band? I have a hard enough time finding a place for my keys.

Some things are changing even in DC. It seems the Constitution is being slowly rediscovered. Recent USSC decisions have improved your lot - at least now you can possess a firearm now - used to be you couldn't even do that, not so long ago. There may be hope for lawful people to live in DC without fearing the nation's highest crime rate in the future.
  • ChaosMoosie
    Options
    I am not a lady but the ones I know, either run at an indoor gym, carry a Ruger LCP (gun), or run with someone.
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

First: do it.

Second: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Practice shooting. Practice drawing your weapon. Practice shooting from your knees, from a prone position on the ground, from your side, with your weak hand, across your body. Put yourself in contortions as though you had been knocked down, and shoot, even with the gun upside down. Practice shooting with your dominate eye covered, your non-dominate eye covered, with your hair down over your face.

Self defense normally happens within 21 feet - seven yards. Past that you seldom have to use a weapon. Practice a lot at 6 feet or 9 feet or 12 feet. For many firearms you can get a laser insert (cartridge with a laser in it) that you can use instead of burning valuable ammunition. Practice with ammo too to make sure you are familiar with that.

Be super aware of your surroundings with or without a gun. Safety is not assured to anyone at any time, but the MORE women do to protect themselves, the less they will have need of protection or of healing.

God bless you. BTW - our licenses here cost 100 for the class, 147.50 for the background check, 5.00 for live scan prints, and 16.50 for blackpowder prints if the others don't work. Oh and it takes at least 4 months to get the permits...

Learn the law. Then study the law. And ALWAYS carry your license with you when you carry.

Learn
    Seriously, we have a new concealed carry law in Wisconsin and I'm really thinking of getting one. It's only $50 and one class.
  • ChaosMoosie
    Options
    I'm amazed by all of the "carry a gun" comments". It's not legal in DC, so my guns can't leave my house, but how does this work? Am I supposed to shove a gun in my compression shorts? Maybe find a ipod/gun arm band? I have a hard enough time finding a place for my keys.

im getting a shoulder holster :) its unusual where im from to NOT have a gun somewhere-be it on your person or in your vehicle!
    Some revolvers are TINY (most shoot .22lr) and will fit comfortably and hidden in a pocket or mp3 player armband :)

But really-check laws in your area. here-just because its not strange to see people walking down the road with a 10/22 or a .410 does not make it legal.

as for the "attitude" comments- im a b**ch. period. i give off an air of b**chfit. Im unfriendly and borderline arrogant. People would be stupid to think i want to chat. HOWEVER. i am 4'8" and 122lbs. the reality is-a 6', 300lb man or woman attacks me-im screwed. attitude or not. even the best self defence classes only work in a reasonably even match. so ladies-do a test: get your husband or a family member to grab you like someone would iy wanted to hurt, rape, or rob you. if you cant access his groin, knees or eyes pretty quickly-youre going to wish you had a weapon. and for those of you with weapons-can you get to yours if you have already been grabbee, or did you just arm your attacker?

GREAT post. And ladies, listen to what this woman says! She speaks Wisdom.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My only question is this
    IN this day and age why cant a woman go on A RUN with out being afraid of being attacked raped murdered.

and people wonder why we are *****es
  • Shanley204
    Options
    I will tie a sock to me that either has a base ball in it (much lighter) or some loose change (That will weigh you down though)
  • ChaosMoosie
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Why is mace illegal?

It isn't 'yelling' or 'whistling' that is the problem, my friend.

It's kidnapping, raping, murdering for the "thrill of it" that is the problem.

I'm sorry your country has deemed its honest citizens to be so untrustworthy as to have taken all means of self-defense from them. The complete fallacy in that philosophy is that whereas the honest man cannot possess a weapon, the dishonest one, by trade, can easily obtain one to force you and other honest people like you to do their bidding.

And, sir, you have no recourse because you gave up your right for, as Samuel Adams said "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

My Father-in-Law was British - born in London, raised in Wales. He fought in the Battle of Britain as a RAF pilot, then came to Canada to Estevan, Sask. and trained others to fly and battle in the air. After the war he emigrated to the United States in 1946. He, my Mother-in-Law and their Daughters were living in Pompano Beach when the Cuban Missile Crisis happened. Red bought a rifle immediately and two boxes of ammunition.

He was the least warlike man I have ever seen. However, he had seen war. He fought war. He lost friends in war. He knew that evil lives in the hearts of some people, and the ONLY thing that will STOP those people is an honest man with the means to protect those he loves and cherishes.

To me, someone who does not have the intense desire to protect themselves and their family is as bad as someone who wants to harm him or his family. Because by bowing down to those miscreants and allowing them the freedom to do as they will, they have encouraged lawless activity.

In the United States people are killed by other people with guns. However, reliable studies from the University of Chicago and Florida State University indicate that in as many as 2,500,000 times per year every year for the last two decades, simply having a firearm and either brandishing it or warning someone off with it, crimes against others have been stopped - without bloodshed in most cases. (See John Lott, 'More Guns, Less Crime" - UofC; and Gary Kleck, FSU - published study -google it.)

In Texas many cities are offering courses in weapons to Teachers. The Texas legislature is considering paying teachers to take concealed weapons courses. Why? Because the only way a 110 pound woman can stop a bad man with a gun is to be armed herself and have the knowledge to act appropriately.

In Sandy Hook NJ, 26 children and teachers were killed last fall. The principal of the school (unarmed) begged the killer to leave. He killed her. Then he went on to kill 25 more teachers and students alike. He was a cowardly murderer. But if the principal had been armed when the guy came through the door with his weapon half raised, she would have stood a chance. As it was - she stood no chance.

The reason she was not armed? It's illegal to carry a weapon in schools here. Didn't seem to phase anyone except the honest persons - the principle and teachers. It certainly didn't phase the murderer.

In Aurora, Colorado, the murderer who went in to the theater and murdered 12 and wounded 58 --- NO one could carry a weapon in the theater! Did that matter to the murderer? NO!

Evil exists, sir. And if the GOOD cede their right to defend themselves by whatever means necessary - be it a gun, a knife, a sword, - whatever they have - evil then triumphs.

I would have thought the British would have learned their lesson from their experience with the Nazis. Apparently you did not. What will you do when someone comes and threatens you and your family? Beg? Blow a whistle? Do as one Legislator in Colorado said and 'pee on yourself' or tell them 'you have a disease'?

I cannot conceive of the utter stupidity of mankind.

Ladies. Get trained. Carry whatever you can carry legally (hopefully a firearm) and know how to use it. You will likely NEVER need it, but if you do, it will be indispensable for you that one time.

And once is all it takes to convince someone of the validity of my statements.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Carrying a gun whilst going for a run?! This post has escalated somewhat.