Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I usually bring my dog with me but if I'm walking at lunch at work, no dog. I've got a RoadID that I wear whenever I go out. If I'm listening to music, I have one earbud in and the other hanging around my neck so that I can hear what's going on around me.

Besides that...I'll be skimming the rest of the thread for other ideas.

ETA I always have my phone on me too.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    1. small air horn or rape siren
    2. a shirt with "ACTIVE HERPES" in big bold type on front and back
    3. chastity belt
    4. don't run alone at night
    5. butterfly knife
    6. road flare (burn his face)
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    Not necessarily to keep me safe, but in case something happens, I wear an EmergencyLink card on my shoe for the EMT/firefighters/police can scan to find my emergency contacts. Makes me feel better just having it.
    https://www.emergencylink.com/

I usually go with my dog and carry my phone IN my hand.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like to outside and enjoy a nice night run, usually with my head phones on...

I have not read everyone's responses, so if someone has already said this... I'll just say it again.

This is the main thing you need to change. You need to be able to keep track of your surroundings. Eyes and ears. If you need music, just wear the headphones in one ear, not in both. You want to know who is on the street or trail around you, and whether you are being followed by someone in a vehicle. 99% of self-defense is awareness.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I carry. I have a holster that conceals it pretty well. Also, I have a taser. It took a minute to get use to running while carrying my weapon but the holster made it pretty easy. I don't do it as often now because I have a treadmill in my back yard. Mace is also a good choice.
    Can I ask what holster you use? Not many good options out there.. most require a sturdy belt or VERY tight pants to stay in place it seems.

I have a compression tank top. Here's the link;

http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/apps/store/default.asp?view=profile&itemid=39250

I put my weapon on my right side (I shoot left handed) and my ipod on the other side lol
  • 65Angela
    65Angela Posts: 2
    Options
    I walk alone every morning just before dawn, and although I has always been keen to my surroundings,I always feel safe. My tip to you is to find a public place ; beach/river foreshore....park....main roads etc. Also try to make aquaintences with shop owners/neighbours etc on your route, so you have safe havens if you feel your in danger.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Well, being from the UK, I can't (and wouldn't if I could) take a gun out running. Where I live, I never run anywhere more than a sprint away from houses, so it's not really an issue for me.

Brits live in a different culture to US citizens; we just can't see how guns are necessary. I always think that the only instance in which I'd need a gun, is if everyone else in my country had a gun as well.

A question for Americans on here out of simple curiosity (not intended in a way to attack your views), is it considered justified in the US to kill someone, for say, breaking into your home. I mean morally rather than legally.

In the USA, if you are home and someone breaks in it is called a 'Home Invasion' and sadly they are usually lethal for the occupants. A true burglar will avoid human contact because, if caught, the legal charge would be burglary. If there is a resident home then the charge would be robbery which carries a harder punishment. Basically the difference between robbery and burglary is if the victim is present in person or not. Steal from a gas station with an attendant, robbery. Steal from a house when no one is home, burglary.

Each state is different, but here in Florida we have 'Stand Your ground' law. This means if someone breaks into your home while you are there, or even attacks you on the street, and you feel your life or the lives of your loved ones is in danger and you have no way to escape, you have the right to use lethal force.

Me personally, if someone breaks in while I'm home... they get ONE verbal warning that I am armed and I will shoot them if they do not leave immediately. After that they take their chances. I'm military trained so I'm no gun nut. It's for defense... period. The world is full of whackos.
  • ton40orbust
    ton40orbust Posts: 155
    Options
    I took a self defense class a while back. Other then that I try to jog when I know people are out and about at my complex a lot of people leave for work between 8 and 10 am and maintenance is maintaining the lawns and stuff between 9 and 11 So I am trying to start jogging in the morning so if something happens I can hope that someone would be outside that I can run to for help. Once I get my CCW I would love to be able to carry a gun with me. When I used to walk at night I carried throwing knives with me, I'm a shoot on a dart league so I have pretty good aim with those.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I carry. I have a holster that conceals it pretty well. Also, I have a taser. It took a minute to get use to running while carrying my weapon but the holster made it pretty easy. I don't do it as often now because I have a treadmill in my back yard. Mace is also a good choice.
    Can I ask what holster you use? Not many good options out there.. most require a sturdy belt or VERY tight pants to stay in place it seems.

I have a compression tank top. Here's the link;

http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/apps/store/default.asp?view=profile&itemid=39250

I put my weapon on my right side (I shoot left handed) and my ipod on the other side lol
    A fellow lefty! :tongue:
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check into it!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i jog down the busiest roads and avoid all alleys and sidestreets- and of course never jog at night.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, one of my main concerns on my jog around our office is there is a railroad track and lots of empty dirt. Scary! I am always looking around and the good thing it is very busy around lunch time and some people at other work offices have started walking.

My friend once gave a pepper spray when I was in college and had to walk through dark and lonely parking lots. To big to carry around.
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Last year, a newspaper article circulated about an old coworker of mine who tried to rape two joggers in Galveston, TX. The first twarted him because she was wearing a fanny pack and he couldn't get it off of her. The second one got away because she was jogging with a piece of pipe and she hit him with it. I thought that was pretty amazing. Both joggers were out very early in the morning - 5:00 am, I think - and the first one said she didn't hear him approach because she had headphones in. I would suggest not using headphones when you jog and carry something that can be used as a weapon (i.e. a taser or pepper spray). Better safe than sorry.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I walk, as I can't jog, but I live in the country and walk on country roads, and once, on a very secluded dirt road with woods close on the sides and a lot of space between houses, I had two guys in a van (closed van at that) slow way down and look at me intently. I was 60 at the time and wearing sweatpants and a t- shirt. If I'd been young and pretty, who knows? Still, it unnerved me to the point where I've never taken that road again. I wouldn't have been able to outrun them, didn't have a cell phone.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    Retractable batons are glorious things.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Go on a circular route around a safe block rather than doing a massive circuit where you go further from home.

Run during daylight - during the day or early morning is good

do mall walking

run in a CCTV area

run around a supermarket car park
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Run earlier, maybe in the morning?
    Pepperspray (depends on the law I suppose)
    Wear your hair up in a bun because this way it's less easy for people to grab your hair
    A GOOD PAIR OF RUNNING SHOES
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've lived in some very large cities, in some fairly rough neighborhoods. If you don't feel safe running alone outside in your neighborhood, you basically have 3 choices: continue to run outside at your own risk and feeling unsafe, start running indoors, or drive to a different, safer location to run (still at your own risk). Anything else, from being more confident to carrying a weapon...all of these things give a false sense of security. The attacker is the wildcard in these situations. If he grabs your hair and throws you to the ground, knocking you out before you have a chance to react, your weapon was worthless. If you choose to run outside and you choose to run alone, you are already accepting a less safe running environment. You make it even worse by plugging in some earbuds. Best advice...find a buddy. Or two. Or ten. Put up signs to start a running group for women at your library or gym or grocery store. Or run in a controlled environment, like the gym or at a school track, where you can plug in your earbuds and just go.

It sucks that we can't feel safe doing something as simple as exercising, but the best way to remedy it is to gauge and try to minimize the risks.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

That's hot!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Well I jog by the sea..there are a lot of old men there, but old men are weak and frail.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    First of all you should never run by yourself especially with ear phones on. There are too many weirdos out there and just waiting for the opportunity to pounce on you and you may end up dead so it's not worth that chance. Either find a running buddy or use a treadmill. In our society it just isn't safe anymore