Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    i just started reading some of the posts to the OPs question. damn. now don't i feel silly for actually answering the OPs question instead of spewing my beliefs on gun control, violence and our laws in the US.

Glad I wasn't the only one who actually wanted to help.
    There are 16 pages of people giving advice with others randomly interjecting to shame gun owners. All of the advice being given now is a repeat of what has already been stated, so a topic change doesn't really matter much.

Actually the original answer was keep out of risky situations. Which was answering the original question. Compared to others who need full swat backup to leave their front porch. And as over here we don't, despite assumptions, tend to get murdered so frequently, perhaps we're actually rather good at keeping out of trouble and protecting ourselves without having to go for attack dogs and firearms to go buy a pint of milk and a paper.

Your exaggerated generalizations...sorry, generalisations...are a refreshing bit of distracting entertainment from the pages of actually helpful information.

So thank you for that.

:flowerforyou:
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow, soooo many oppinions. I'm not sure if the OP will even read my response given the enthusiastic/numerous preceding posts. But, I live in a medium sized city. I run all the time by myself. I carry a cell phone, sometimes I carry pepper spray. I sometimes spit or do something equally unattractive if I feel like someone is 'checking me out.' I choose not to live with fear and paranoia, I am smart and capable and any time I leave the apt someone could do me harm, or I could suffer an aneurysm, or get hit by a bus... The point is, be sensible but don't live in the fear and don't stop doing something that's good for you and you love.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Conceal Carry licsense and a compact LC9 does the trick for me.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I live in a semi-rural community and fortunately don't have to worry too much about safety, however, I am naturally a cautious person so I rarely run without my 80 pound German Shepherd. Even with my music on, I can tell when a car is coming up behind me because she will start turning around and alerting me when the car is still about a 1/4 mile back. Most strangers on foot keep a safe distance - little do they know that she would just bark ferociously and then smother them with kisses! If you are going alone, I would definitely recommend some mace or something - way to many weirdos out there.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been trained to kick the nuts just in case! hahah
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    afa1bda4-7a84-4971-8a2b-16483b95022a.jpg
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Ok, you wanna be safe? How I do it is 1, no jogging at night whatsoever, things happen in small towns all the time. 2, jog where there is slight traffic so youre not alone, and where houses and buisnesses are nearby in case trouble comes your way. 3, pepper spray.

Good luck.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a CCW Concealed carry license. I do not run with a firearm because I am more focused on the specific goal of running and I know that my already defunct stride will be off even worst with weight distributed to a certain side. I think a small 1-3 inch knife is light enough and versatile enough of a tool to use and run in. I like pepper spray as a defense tool but as a corrections officer I must share my experience with this tool. I was trained to fight through the pain and many long time inmates are not affected by it because they are used to it. Wind direction and fatigue from running will make using it in the open difficult. I actually rarely carry anything except my road id and keys. I stay in well lit areas and try to be in populated areas. Stay safe and have fun.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options
    Sometimes, I carry tear gas when I'm out and about. It comes in a container very similar to a pepper spray container but has certain advantages.

It is harder to wash off and instead of just hurting it basically makes all fluid evacuate your face and respiratory system. When I was in the Navy we were gassed and aside from coughing up anything in your lungs/chest (including a lung possibly) it is extremely difficult to breath, your eyes will water uncontrollably and nose will run, etc... It makes some people vomit. Similar disadvantage as pepper spray when it comes to things like wind etc... but a better product overall, IMO.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

THIS! And I run with my pitbull. :happy:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start walking/running and have no choice other than in the dark if I don't want to stick to a treadmill, though I'll probably go early morning and not late night. I'm planning to bring my dog, stay away from areas where I know joggers have been attacked before, and stick to areas where my neighbors are also likely to be out and about at that time. I always carry a small utility knife, but I'm not interested in letting an attacker get close enough for me to use it. I've trained in self-defense, but I am far from an expert so I'll concealed carry as well.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks concealed carry is paranoid or overboard should be grateful that they have the luxury of feeling that way. Survivors of such attacks certainly don't.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I stay safe by using familiar paths close to the road and only going out during the day. I have had someone honk from a distance, but nothing more. A few cars slow down, perhaps in fear that they'll run me over, lol. None of those things bother me, as I love to run and live in a safe area.

What bothers me, a lot, is that there is a convicted sex offender on my street. He has the creepiest bugged out eyes, and just got out of prison for two counts of sexual battery with force / weapon against a minor. He goes out walking with his dog all the time, and has stared at me a couple of times as I run. He is hideous. I loathe the fact that he is out of prison and lives anywhere near decent people.

I keep my jog strictly during the day and turn around if I see him walking outside.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options
    I'm about to start walking/running and have no choice other than in the dark if I don't want to stick to a treadmill, though I'll probably go early morning and not late night. I'm planning to bring my dog, stay away from areas where I know joggers have been attacked before, and stick to areas where my neighbors are also likely to be out and about at that time. I always carry a small utility knife, but I'm not interested in letting an attacker get close enough for me to use it. I've trained in self-defense, but I am far from an expert so I'll concealed carry as well.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks concealed carry is paranoid or overboard should be grateful that they have the luxury of feeling that way. Survivors of such attacks certainly don't.

I prefer the belly/chest holster for doing anything more physical than casual walking around.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I'll look into those.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So much ignorance here. Just because it is illegal in your country does not make you right.. I'm not sure why so many people feel the need to preach about how wonderful their laws are. That's not the topic here. The topic is how YOU protect yourself. Your views on concealed carry are irrelevant because you've likely never been exposed to guns/proper safety and handling and OF COURSE you will be against it. It's illegal where you live.

For a woman who has become very well versed with her firearm, practices and understands proper IWB (or otherwise concealed) draw and is NOT afraid to use it then there is no real danger factor present. Saying "it won't stop an attacker" is ridiculous.

You are assuming those who oppose it dont. I am trained in handling a firearm and quite comfortable with them. There are some circumstances where CC is legal however not as common as in the states. I still have a different view. I am not arguing and have not argued against your views, or said that we are right. I have been through these conversations before and accept our different point of views. I'm simply pointing out that that is not necessarily the case.
    "It won't stop an attacker" is a bit of a stretch but so is the certainty that it will.
    There are 16 pages of people giving advice with others randomly interjecting to shame gun owners. All of the advice being given now is a repeat of what has already been stated, so a topic change doesn't really matter much.

To be fair it went both ways, people shaming those who don't want to carry guns and those who do.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I now run in the dark, alone, not carrying any weaponry except my wits and awareness of my surroundings.
    I sometimes think about what would happen if there was a creeper, but I feel really confident in my ability to defend myself to not really carry any "concealed" weapons.
    I also run by highways (not in the middle of nowhere).

Running alone has never been a problem (so I guess this is a luxury).
    I get honks from cars all the time and it is usually honks of support.
    I also live in an active town and I think most the people in my town know me as the runner chick.
    Marathon is hosted there, no matter at what time there always seems to be a biker.
    So runners are not a new thing in my town.

Going on a different discussion entirely,
    In my honest opinion, dogs are the scariest thing ever.

Rottweiler's, German Shepard's, Some black lab.
    If they're off-leash and bounding towards me growling I am terrified and WISHING I had a concealed weapon.
    Even when the owners have their dog on a leash and are walking them I am wary.
    This is because I have been bitten, been growled, and been jumped on.

I think the hardest part of being a runner isn't really the people but the animals *in my area of living at least*.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Very interesting discussion about gun ownership (not sarcasm, the views of those in the US are completely foreign to us British, really interesting to read).

I have a follow-on question to the original one though: Many people on here saying make sure you carry a cell phone. Many others saying don't carry valuables. This I wonder about, as the two times I have got into trouble on runs it was people who wanted to mug me for my phone. (Note- both times were within 50m of my front door on returning from a run, so it hasn't put me off running at all).

What do you think then? Carry a phone (and make yourself a target for muggers), or not carry a phone (but be unable to call for help if necessary in an isolated area)?
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but if I were I would sign up for self-defense classes - the local police department gives them for free in my town.
  • Brads2ndLife
    Options
    I've just started walking recently and have done it at 11pm twice. I walk around an unlit football ground. I felt uneasy. It made the walk unpleasant. And I am a 6' tall male.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Wow. Usually the US/UK divide on MFP is more subtle than this (random brands, using lbs not stone etc).

It's extremely disturbing how many of you thing it is normal to own/carry a gun! Violence breeds violence.

Anyway, preaching over. My non-gunslinging advice would be:

- Run during daylight hours in populated areas
    - Have music on low volume
    - Keep your wits about you
    - Vary your time/routes
    - Join a running club
    - Find a running friend
    - Borrow a dog (there must be some old folks who want their dogs walking?)