My opinion (don't read if you're overly sensitive)

Options
I am so sick of hearing dumb excuses from people who "really want and need to lose the weight". If I had a dollar for everytime someone complained about something or had an excuse as to why they can't work out or eat right that day- I would have enough money for a gym membership to 17 different gyms all over the country AND enough money to fly to each one 23 times a day!

"I can't work out. I live in an apartment and I would disturb people"
"I can't work out. I don't have a gym membership"
"I can't eat healthy. I don't have any food"
"I feel so depressed. I can't work out"
"I don't have enough money to get a gym membership"
"I don't have any motivation"
"What's the point?"
"I am too busy"
Those are only a few of the excuses and complaints that I hear on a daily basis whether it be on the site or someone in my family or a close friend? You know what I have to say to all of these? -
"Talk to the people below you. If they don't like It, too bad"
"Work out at home"
"Go buy some food or make something healthy. There are plenty of healthy dishes that can be done on $10"
"Suck it up"
"You don't need one"
"Find it and than give me a call"
"The point is, you're fat"
"I am busy too. Talk to you after I work out"

Seriously. Everyone has their "days" but, when a friend posts how crappy their life is, how busy they are and how poor they are- I don't feel bad. You can still use your own body weight to work out and you can lose weight. Eat the crap food than but, learn portion control. If you find yourself saying "what's the point" or "I don't want to" than, you're right! You really don't want to lose the weight, you want it to accumulate, you want to get larger and you want to have health issues. If you see yourself looking in the mirror and seeing something gross, do something about it. Cut the crap, enough with the excuses and get off of your *kitten*!!!

I am sorry if this offends someone but, if it offends you- take my advice. I am sure there will be a lot of other's who also cannot stand the daily excuses with people. What do you want us to say? Eventually, I am going to end up giving up on your dreams since you can't even reach for your dreams! Sorry if I sound "witchy" but, this is real life- you can't live a happy and healthy life if you aren't happy and healthy. YOU are the only one that can do this. Suck it up, put the donut down and do some push ups!!! :) Make today great, everyone!

Replies

• weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Like, half of people that get down on here I believe is caused by constantly reading other peoples posts about being down etc, if I see one I skip it.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    You speak the truth! Well said :)
  • TattednPierced
    Options
    Aside from telling someone who is depressed to "suck it up", I agree with it all.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Say it like it is lady :-) from one straight talker to another :flowerforyou:
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    LOL... Sounds like you have been speaking to my MIL :)

I love her too bits but she is constantly moaning about how fat she is. She is not massive by any means, but yes, she could lose a few lbs. Since I started losing weight she has noticed and made comments like

"Wow, look how skinny you are, how did you do it?" - "With a balanced and working out!"

"I really want to lose weight, but I can't stop eating!" - "Yes you can, just stop putting it in your mouth!"

"I have a gym membership, but can't be bothered to go!" - "Work out at home then!"

"I am going to do the 5:2 diet, I start to day" - (2weeks later) - "how is that diet going?" - "Oh I only did it for 2 days!"

"God you are losing so much weight" - "Actually, I have not lost any more weight, I have lost fat by working out!" - "How can I look like you?" - "Workout!"

I think you get the general idea...

My sister AKA fatpants40 wanted to lose weight and kept saying she did not have the time etc, I showed her this site and some you tube video's, I think she is now addicted LOL!!

It is easy if you really want to do it, if you want to do it, then don't complain about it.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Other than the depression comment (if it's real depression it's a ligit medical condition. Just "sucking it up" isn't an option) I agree with the rest.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of hearing dumb excuses from people who "really want and need to lose the weight". If I had a dollar for everytime someone complained about something or had an excuse as to why they can't work out or eat right that day- I would have enough money for a gym membership to 17 different gyms all over the country AND enough money to fly to each one 23 times a day!

"What's the point?"
    "I am too busy"
    Those are only a few of the excuses and complaints that I hear on a daily basis whether it be on the site or someone in my family or a close friend? You know what I have to say to all of these? -
    "Work out at home"
    "Go buy some food or make something healthy. There are plenty of healthy dishes that can be done on $10"
    "Suck it up"
    "You don't need one"

Seriously. Everyone has their "days" but, when a friend posts how crappy their life is, how busy they are and how poor they are- I don't feel bad. You can still use your own body weight to work out and you can lose weight. Eat the crap food than but, learn portion control. If you find yourself saying "what's the point" or "I don't want to" than, you're right! You really don't want to lose the weight, you want it to accumulate, you want to get larger and you want to have health issues. If you see yourself looking in the mirror and seeing something gross, do something about it. Cut the crap, enough with the excuses and get off of your *kitten*!!!

I am sorry if this offends someone but, if it offends you- take my advice. I am sure there will be a lot of other's who also cannot stand the daily excuses with people. What do you want us to say? Eventually, I am going to end up giving up on your dreams since you can't even reach for your dreams! Sorry if I sound "witchy" but, this is real life- you can't live a happy and healthy life if you aren't happy and healthy. YOU are the only one that can do this. Suck it up, put the donut down and do some push ups!!! :) Make today great, everyone!

agree!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    lol @ caring what other people do with their lives.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but the rest of us would never have joined mfp at all if we weren't full of those same excuses at some point. I ate like a pig, didn't exercise, and whined about being fat. Now I'm here. We should try to remember that these excuse-filled people just aren't ready yet.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    :drinker: here here
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    My mantra is, "You can make excuses, or you can make progress."
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Aside from telling someone who is depressed to "suck it up", I agree with it all.

This. Also can I hire you as my personal trainer? lol but not my psychologist lol
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Exercise produces endorphins and dopamine, which are mood enhancers, so.... I used to take medication for ADD and depression (granted they weren't super severe) and haven't needed to take anything since I started exercising. These hormones we naturally produce are some of the most illegal products to buy.. it's the same argument for not wanting to have sex. Sex has been proven to enhance mood with other benefits :P PLUS it's awesome and you could log it as circuit training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    We should try to remember that these excuse-filled people just aren't ready yet.

very true!
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Amen, I am with you!!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    We all have excuses. But I believe that you have to be ready to do this. There's just a time when those excuses don't become valid any more. Everyone else can have all the excuses they want, just so I'm fit and healthy.
  • simplyshannal
    simplyshannal Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying except for anything having to do with depression or a true sickness. We all have different things going on in our lives and we all have different circumstances. What works for one person may not be the best for someone else. I can't stand excuses, outright, but when a person truly has a circumstance that keeps them down, that is just them venting and maybe they just are not ready to be in the place that you are or many others are. I do find it a bit rude that anyone would want to point this fact out, openly. Sometimes we, and that includes me, need to monitor what comes out of our mouthes. Try and remember that not everyone is you and you have no idea why that person is having a bad day or has that excuse. Everyone uses them at some point and time, so honestly, if someone doesn't like seeing them then just don't friend that person or ignore it.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Love the mantra:

"You can make excuses, or you can make progress."
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Your point is valid, don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty sure many of the people on this forum did that at some point. I certainly did. We don't all just get fat and then instantly swing into a healthy lifestyle without some hiccups. The people you complain about just haven't had that 'right, that's it' moment. Have some patience and help them if they need it.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

"What's the point?"
    "I am too busy"
    "Work out at home"
    "Suck it up"
    "You don't need one"

Generally agree but , Dunno... no need to be so harsh about it?

Mind, this is just my opinion. Please ignore if overly sensitive :)
This discussion has been closed.