My opinion (don't read if you're overly sensitive)

Options

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have been that person who comes up with a million excuses to keep eating cookies and to keep my activity low.

So, while I agree with these points (with some exceptions--depression is pretty serious), I also know that someone who isn't ready to change his/her life isn't going to read this and have an epiphany. You have to be ready for change, completely, before this stuff makes any sense.

Something that got me started was this wise rumination:

If you aren't happy with the way you are, and you don't do anything about it, what makes you think you're going to be happier with the way you are next year?

And another for beginners:

Every little bit helps. Start with 30 min of light cardio 3x a week if you have to. Go to fitnessfrog.com and find your no exercise TDEE and eat 100 calories below that for a while. You'll at least stop gaining, and start slowly losing weight. It's a start. You can add more exercise and adjust your diet as needed as you grow your mindset.

It feels good to be healthy :)
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    in my journey to lose 30 lbs (to date) i NEVER went to the gym. i DIDNT eat solely healthy food and i DIDNT own anything more than 2 lb weights and work out videos i bought for 50 cents a piece at a second hand store ..... i ate crappy choices in moderation and enjoyed every bite, i exercised portion control (most days) and i cut out high calorie juices ( that i love) for the free beverage that comes out of my tap!! .... i worked the sales whenever i could and i walked instead of driving everywhere when i could!! .... after 2.5 years of making excuses i finally got real about what i wanted and just did it ... as for working out in an apartment ... its a 30-60 minute workout i would ask my neighbours if i was too loud and explain to them why if i had been most are understanding ive yet to meet a neighbour that says i should just stay fat to keep the noise down!!
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    .. it's the same argument for not wanting to have sex. Sex has been proven to enhance mood with other benefits :P PLUS it's awesome and you could log it as circuit training.

Seriously?! I need to go back and amend my workout diary then! :bigsmile:
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So - here's where I stand on this. Most of us have lost a lot of weight, yourself included.

Did you gain that 48 pounds you lost by being healthy and not making excuses for why you'd just stay home and not go for a walk, or why you'd just have McDonalds over making your lunch?

We were all there at some point so yes, when you've overcome it you look at other people and KNOW that they can too, if they just try. It's frustrating to see people make excuses and then complain about no progress, but most of us were doing it ourselves at some point. I think it's important for us to remember that just because we've overcome our psychological barriers and stopped making excuses doesn't mean everyone else has come to that same point and it certainly doesn't give us the right to judge them for being in the EXACT same place we were not so long ago. Tell the truth, if you came to a place like this to try to get in the game, to really try to commit, but were constantly reading posts by people who were telling you to "suck it up" would you want to come back, or would it drive you away from a place that might help you succeed? It takes time to get your head around losing weight, waking up one morning and saying, "Man, I'm disgusting, I need to change" is easy, but changing habits you've built over a lifetime is difficult.

So, in short, just because we all lost the weight and we know that they can too doesn't mean we should be jerks about it. They're trying to get their head around it, excuses are part of that process, and some of them are legit, most of the people making excuses will slowly start ticking them off, "I can't because I don't have time" will turn into "I made some time" and then "I can't because it's too expensive/time consuming to eat healthy" will turn into "I learned to cook". It's not all going to happen overnight and I think we'd all do well to remember the huge burden we felt when we first decided we needed to REALLY do this.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of hearing dumb excuses from people who "really want and need to lose the weight". If I had a dollar for everytime someone complained about something or had an excuse as to why they can't work out or eat right that day- I would have enough money for a gym membership to 17 different gyms all over the country AND enough money to fly to each one 23 times a day!

"I can't work out. I live in an apartment and I would disturb people"
    "I can't work out. I don't have a gym membership"
    "I can't eat healthy. I don't have any food"
    "I feel so depressed. I can't work out"
    "I don't have enough money to get a gym membership"
    "I don't have any motivation"
    "What's the point?"
    "I am too busy"
    Those are only a few of the excuses and complaints that I hear on a daily basis whether it be on the site or someone in my family or a close friend? You know what I have to say to all of these? -
    "Talk to the people below you. If they don't like It, too bad"
    "Work out at home"
    "Go buy some food or make something healthy. There are plenty of healthy dishes that can be done on $10"
    "Suck it up"
    "You don't need one"
    "Find it and than give me a call"
    "The point is, you're fat"
    "I am busy too. Talk to you after I work out"

Seriously. Everyone has their "days" but, when a friend posts how crappy their life is, how busy they are and how poor they are- I don't feel bad. You can still use your own body weight to work out and you can lose weight. Eat the crap food than but, learn portion control. If you find yourself saying "what's the point" or "I don't want to" than, you're right! You really don't want to lose the weight, you want it to accumulate, you want to get larger and you want to have health issues. If you see yourself looking in the mirror and seeing something gross, do something about it. Cut the crap, enough with the excuses and get off of your *kitten*!!!

I am sorry if this offends someone but, if it offends you- take my advice. I am sure there will be a lot of other's who also cannot stand the daily excuses with people. What do you want us to say? Eventually, I am going to end up giving up on your dreams since you can't even reach for your dreams! Sorry if I sound "witchy" but, this is real life- you can't live a happy and healthy life if you aren't happy and healthy. YOU are the only one that can do this. Suck it up, put the donut down and do some push ups!!! :) Make today great, everyone!
    You should judge less and understand more. Unless you live someone elses life, you have no clue what is going on.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight and I've had success managing it as well, it's a lifestyle change and a lifetime effort.
    I find that most people only express these excuses you hear, when others try to steer them if not force them into losing weight or getting healthier.
    You have had great success so far but at 19 and with the large amount of weight you still need to get rid of, I hope you don't make any more excuses because you may not get there.
    I get the feeling that a lot of the people, putting excuses that annoy you, are probably people who have helped you in some way. Just consider that and at least be reasonable with them. I guess that is why you are posting your thoughts here instead of telling them which is better than breaking their feelings.
    I understand that hearing many excuses can be frustrating and is contagious so do try to shield yourself from them.
    Remember "be the change you wish to see in the world".
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    So you're tired of excuses for why others' "can't" work out or eat sensibly. To me, this comes off as you having a bit of a holier-than-thou or "I'm better than you because you make excuses and I don't" kind of attitude.

So keeping with that, and considering that you would have had to make some kind of "excuses" along the way to get yourself to 283 lbs, what does that mean then? Does that mean the people that never even let themselves get to that weight are better than you?

Interesting way to think of things, no?

My advice: remember where you came from and let others worry about themselves.
  • ordnaj3la1
    ordnaj3la1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank You!
  • JLgettinghealthy
    JLgettinghealthy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    lol @ caring what other people do with their lives.

this.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My mantra is, "You can make excuses, or you can make progress."

This ^^^
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My ___________ is sabotaging me.

I love Mad Libs.

You didn't specify but I'm going to fill in with a Noun.

Garden Hose
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    This site has a personal blog for a reason... you can express your opinion without creating a bunch of drama. Also how is this mortivational or supportive? just curious... you should use your blog though... seriously.
  • karen8873
    karen8873 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Agree you speak the truth.

Many times when I hear excuses I just think in my head well then I guess you are happy where you are, and drop it.

Dont let other people's excuses bother you it just makes me more motivated to do better and learn what excuses I make and quit making those excuses.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    true facts!
    well said!
    :)
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I'm a nurse, and more days than not, someone will tell me, "I want to go to nursing school" or "I wish I had gone to nursing school". The thing is, I don't rant about this or get tired of hearing it. These are people who want some encouragement or direction. Sure, they have excuses for the past or excuses for right now...but at least some of them will actually wind up going if people support them in that (there are at least 4 new nurses out there for whom I was one of the major reasons they finally applied to school). Some of them won't; but not everyone can manage a lifestyle change, whether that's nursing school or weight loss.

You can be part of the solution, or you can be part of the problem. You have managed to lose a lot of weight, so people perceive you as a leader. So lead! Some will follow, some will get lost on the way, and some won't ever start. You have no idea which are which till they get there.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't see excuses here. I see priorities. I love my overweight friends, and I respect their choices, which means not belittling their priorities.
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I just mind my own business. I have no right to tell people how to live there lives. If you are not ready, you are not ready. I don't look down at any one.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My ___________ is sabotaging me.

I love Mad Libs.

You didn't specify but I'm going to fill in with a Noun.

Garden Hose

Oh no, now we have to watch out for those too? But I just bought one on Sunday! Why haven't you warned us before this?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Since I know you love kitties and maybe want some affirmation of your opinions of how others should live:

tumblr_mb8vvaZW451ri08goo1_500.gif
This discussion has been closed.