My opinion (don't read if you're overly sensitive)

Options

Replies

• Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of hearing dumb excuses from people who "really want and need to lose the weight". If I had a dollar for everytime someone complained about something or had an excuse as to why they can't work out or eat right that day- I would have enough money for a gym membership to 17 different gyms all over the country AND enough money to fly to each one 23 times a day!

"I can't work out. I live in an apartment and I would disturb people"
    "I can't work out. I don't have a gym membership"
    "I can't eat healthy. I don't have any food"
    "I feel so depressed. I can't work out"
    "I don't have enough money to get a gym membership"
    "I don't have any motivation"

"What's the point?"
    "I am too busy"
    Those are only a few of the excuses and complaints that I hear on a daily basis whether it be on the site or someone in my family or a close friend? You know what I have to say to all of these? -
    "Talk to the people below you. If they don't like It, too bad"
    "Work out at home"
    "Go buy some food or make something healthy. There are plenty of healthy dishes that can be done on $10"
    "Suck it up"
    "You don't need one"
    "Find it and than give me a call"
    "The point is, you're fat"
    "I am busy too. Talk to you after I work out"

Seriously. Everyone has their "days" but, when a friend posts how crappy their life is, how busy they are and how poor they are- I don't feel bad. You can still use your own body weight to work out and you can lose weight. Eat the crap food than but, learn portion control. If you find yourself saying "what's the point" or "I don't want to" than, you're right! You really don't want to lose the weight, you want it to accumulate, you want to get larger and you want to have health issues. If you see yourself looking in the mirror and seeing something gross, do something about it. Cut the crap, enough with the excuses and get off of your *kitten*!!!

I am sorry if this offends someone but, if it offends you- take my advice. I am sure there will be a lot of other's who also cannot stand the daily excuses with people. What do you want us to say? Eventually, I am going to end up giving up on your dreams since you can't even reach for your dreams! Sorry if I sound "witchy" but, this is real life- you can't live a happy and healthy life if you aren't happy and healthy. YOU are the only one that can do this. Suck it up, put the donut down and do some push ups!!! :) Make today great, everyone!

You know, for someone so young you have years of infinite wisdom. I'm nearly 30 years older than you and I couldn't have articulated any better. Some of the same folks complaining about not having time certainly make time to watch all of these brain dead reality tv shows and play with their I-phones.
  • SniffyDoodle
    Options
    You should judge less and understand more. Unless you live someone elses life, you have no clue what is going on.

Exactly.

And the "too busy" *excuse* is sometimes not an excuse. I left this site for a while because I was, honestly, too busy. And when I couldn't keep up, I got tired of hearing people say things like "if it's important enough you'll make time". I don't know about you, but I don't have a magic wand that can add hours to the day. There are, in fact, only 24 of them, and there's no way around that. When you have a full time job and four very active children, making time for yourself means taking time away from them, and that wasn't something that I was willing to do, or something I felt was right to do as a mom.

My life has now calmed down some, some school activities have ended, and I am back to try again... now that I have more time. :)

Just like the person I quoted said, if you're not living their life you have no place to judge and you don't truly understand where they are coming from.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!!!!!:laugh: People need to grow the hell up and take responsibility. Good for you that you have and "get it" at such a young age.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    *then
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    One person's excuses are another person's reasons. It's hard to know how to respond. Some people need reassurance and encouragement, others need a swift kick in the motivation.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    Two things, and while the first is not really an excuse because they could find the time to run or walk, these statements bother me:

"I can't work out because I live in an apartment" -- as someone who lives on the second floor of a townhouse with a neighbour below, I CANNOT work-out in my apartment unless it's low impact things like squats, push-ups. I cannot do work-out videos. I cannot jump around a lot.

and two

"I'm depressed so I can't work-out" -- as someone who suffers with major depression this is a very true statement. If you are depressed, you quite literally do not want/sometimes can't do anything but sleep. That's not to say that you shouldn't try, but in my own experience I often spend my entire day sleeping when I'm really depressed.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Exercise produces endorphins and dopamine, which are mood enhancers, so.... I used to take medication for ADD and depression (granted they weren't super severe) and haven't needed to take anything since I started exercising. These hormones we naturally produce are some of the most illegal products to buy.. it's the same argument for not wanting to have sex. Sex has been proven to enhance mood with other benefits :P PLUS it's awesome and you could log it as circuit training.

It doesn't work for everyone. I was working out almost every day quite hard, and I fell into a moderate-severe depression where I was constantly thinking about suicide and planning when and how I would do it, writing letters and having feelings of 100% hopelessness and failure and spent a good deal of my time sleeping or laying in bed just wishing to be dead.

I started taking medication, and a few weeks later the awfulness of everything started to lift. I was able to see the point in living again, even if I'm not where I want to be and life generally sucks.

True depression is not something you can "suck up" it is completely debilitating.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP, "overly sensitive"? Didn't you take offense to the 4/1 frivolities?

(My apologies if this has already been addressed. I'll admit, I didn't read through all five pages.)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I really, honest to god don't understand how someone can care so much about what other people, especially strangers, are doing with their life.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    One person's excuses are another person's reasons. It's hard to know how to respond. Some people need reassurance and encouragement, others need a swift kick in the motivation.

"Excuses are tools of the incompetent." ---- Mike Tomlin, Head Coach Pittsburgh Steelers.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, and you shouldn't read it if you're overly sensitive, but this is sanctimonious bullpoo.

It's very true that people make excuses all the time. But I find it hilarious when people start calling others out on it, when it's obvious from their very presence on this site that they only just stopped making excuses themselves. Especially when so many of us will be back on the couch within 12 months eating ice cream from a gallon bucket.

Three months of healthy eating and gym-going does not give you judgment rights on others.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    i was sort of prepared to be pissed with you ....but i agree! If you make those excuses - just remember they are are just that excuses - you can always make different choices on how you spend your money and time.

....AND for those "depressed" people - working out is a natural anti-depressant! Not to mention losing the weight....that is ALSO a VERY EFFECTIVE anti-depressant!

You don't know what their depression stems from so it's unfair to assume that because they lose weight they will no longer be depressed. My depression does not stem from my weight gain/loss whatever. Sure, I have poor body image but that's not what makes me depressed.

Second, you try getting off your *kitten* when all you want to do is fade. Depressed people have a hard time finding the energy to do anything when they're in a down-swing. Depression has physical symptoms as well! Muscle fatigue, Tiredness, Irritability, Light sensitivity.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Losers always have a book called "1001 Lame Excuses for Dummies". :bigsmile:

Losers always make excuses! :grumble:
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    Exercise produces endorphins and dopamine, which are mood enhancers, so.... I used to take medication for ADD and depression (granted they weren't super severe) and haven't needed to take anything since I started exercising. These hormones we naturally produce are some of the most illegal products to buy.. it's the same argument for not wanting to have sex. Sex has been proven to enhance mood with other benefits :P PLUS it's awesome and you could log it as circuit training.

It doesn't work for everyone. I was working out almost every day quite hard, and I fell into a moderate-severe depression where I was constantly thinking about suicide and planning when and how I would do it, writing letters and having feelings of 100% hopelessness and failure and spent a good deal of my time sleeping or laying in bed just wishing to be dead.

I started taking medication, and a few weeks later the awfulness of everything started to lift. I was able to see the point in living again, even if I'm not where I want to be and life generally sucks.

True depression is not something you can "suck up" it is completely debilitating.

I am the same way, working out doesn't help me much. I feel empowered and good about my goals and achieving them but I still suffer from suicidal ideation on a fairly regular basis.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Well said Ms. Anderson :flowerforyou:
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    "This site has a personal blog for a reason.... seriously."

"My advice: remember where you came from and let others worry about themselves."

Couldn't have said it any better! I used to 6 days a week, pulling 15 hr days all day on my feet behind a desk- not even moving, just standing. I became over weight because of that job and medical reasons. I was SO poor that I couldn't afford to eat anything BUT the dollar menu at McD's. Seriously I would eat nothing for breakfast, eat $1 sandwhich and fries for lunch and dinner (11am & 2am). This would be my day EVERY DAY until my day off and all I could do on my day off was rest for the next 6 day marathon.

Before you start judging, don't think for a second that you have it all figured out for everyone else due to the sheer FACT that your life contains different barriers than other's lives. You know you are being a "witch" because you already apologized for it. If you're going to act in a way you disapprove of don't apologize for it, just DON"T DO IT!
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Anyone who ever got fat lived by excuses. You lose it when you're ready.

I guess I remember that side of the fence so I retained my compassion.
  • khalls
    khalls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very well said !
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    How about you just worry about yourself and let everyone else figure it out. Nobody wants to be pressured into doing anything. If they want to make excuses then let them it's not your body so chill.
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is posted under Motivation and Support?

Sit down.
This discussion has been closed.