The 1 Ingredient Diet

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I would not want to do it. Sour cream, tortilla's, and Big Mac's would be on the no-no list.

Life just isn't worth living for me otherwise.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    most 1 ingredients foods are treated with pesticides or food grade waxes to stay fresh in the store and for the end user...

which is the problem with food production in this country. it's not an indictment of the foods themselves.

non-organic < organic < local

buy local if you can to avoid pesticides, and wash your produce.

see, where we differ, is that as a toxicologist and realist, I don't see the foods having the wax or being treated with pesticides as a problem. I see them as the solution to a bigger and more realistic problem.

and I'm an idealist, so you're right - we do differ.

and I'm more concerned about the health and longevity of the individual vs the problem of simply keeping a large number of people alive - though I do recognize that it's a problem. I just wish we could be more creative in our solutions.
    ...and I'd just like to point out that buying local doesn't mean you're avoiding pesticides and other chemicals. just means that your produce didn't ride on a truck as long as mine may have.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    which is the problem with food production in this country. it's not an indictment of the foods themselves.

non-organic < organic < local

buy local if you can to avoid pesticides, and wash your produce.

I agree with the statement - if you can, buy local, organic food. That's totally reasonable.

I cannot condemn modern farming practices which include pesticides, herbicide-resistant hereditary selection, et cetera, because the abundance of affordable food is what makes the convenience and luxury of local organic produce feasible. If non-organic growing practices were illegal, for instance, we would not be able to afford produce, because the supply would so dramatically decrease that only the wealthy could obtain fruits and vegetables. The rest of us would be stuck with pop tarts. And I hate pop tarts.

hahaha :drinker:

but no - i do recognize the problem. i just think there may be a better solution - but no one's going to consider alternatives when Monsanto is making so much $$
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    also, just WTF is grown locally in manhattan? if something is, I'd actually like to know and applaud them for doing so.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    hahaha :drinker:

but no - i do recognize the problem. i just think there may be a better solution - but no one's going to consider alternatives when Monsanto is making so much $$

I'm not sure what a feasible solution might be. But again, I endorse your message of trying to limit unnecessary chemicals in your diet. Even if science has proven them safe, if you want an apple and can get an apple, go for an apple rather than an apple+wax+pesticide (washed or otherwise.)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    living like that would be impossible!!!! we all deserve a treat from time to time. also, I don't believe it's true - how many ingredients in whole grain bread? More than one!!! salt, flour to begin with! and it's healthy

that's arguable.....
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    also, just WTF is grown locally in manhattan? if something is, I'd actually like to know and applaud them for doing so.

Manhattan is quite small. There are a lot of farms in the tri-state area that sell their produce in the city at farmers markets.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    aaaaaand in come the trolls to ruin a perfectly good thread.

per usual.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Partial list of ingredients of an apple

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver
    You forgot the cyanide in the seeds. ( lots of ppl eat the seeds)
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Whether its local or organic has absolutely no bearing on the amount of pesticides that are used to treat it...
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I prefer the 4-ingredient diet: Water, barley, yeast, hops.

Now there's a diet I can get behind :bigsmile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't work for me. Cheese has more than one ingredients :p
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't work for me. Cheese has more than one ingredients :p

Very valid point. I'm out.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11445-1364571895-9.gif
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Pfft...I only eat free atoms. I refuse to get my calories from processed foods.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Seems like a miserable and pointless diet.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with eating real food?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Seems like a miserable and pointless diet.

lol eating whole foods is miserable and pointless??
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

BWAHAHA!!! I have to agree in general with the one ingredient idea though, I think it just feels good!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

You forgot the cyanide in the seeds. ( lots of ppl eat the seeds)

especially if you juice it.