running.... inside or outside?

Options

Replies

• spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    MUCH more enjoyable to run outside ... But tready easier on my knees ... So I split it up between the two ...
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the odd ones, I don't mind running on the treadmill. I get up and watch the morning news while getting my daily 4 miles in. I like running outside and do it as much as I can, but find it easier to get my run in first thing before everyone is up.

Also, I think that running outside is easier than inside, I can cover a lot more miles, quicker outside than I do inside...hills and all.
  • White_n_Nerdy
    White_n_Nerdy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Inside. I'm a severe asthmatic, and the a lot of things in the air outside interfere with my breathing abilities. I can make it for 45 minutes at 5.2 on the treadmill inside, but I last maybe a max of 5 minutes at the same pace outside. It doesn't help that I live in Madison, WI for the school year (which is pretty highly polluted) and then Racine, WI for the remaining months (which gets Milwaukee/Chicago/Racine pollution).

Honestly though, as long as you're exercising, does it really matter WHERE you're doing it?
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm always shocked when I hear someone say they think the dreadmill is more enjoyable than a run outside. I'm glad that it is easier to up the speed on that medieval torture device so that I can get my miles logged and get off the thing quicker. I don't even take music with me when I run outside...the changing scenery is all I need. 8)
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Outside!!
    On the treadmill I cannot even manage a mile without finding an excuse to stop - every step is torture!! Outside though I LOVE :smile:
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. That said, I'm a pretty fairweather outside runner. Not too much wind, no rain, not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, no bugs... If I waited for ideal conditions outside, I'd probably run about 6 times a year. So I use the indoor track at school, it takes away my various weather-related excuses. Not as good a workout (no wind resistance, no hills, etc), but it's better than not doing it at all. I do prefer the track to the treadmill, because I prefer to set my own pace (speed up if I feel good, slow down if it's getting hard, no faffing with buttons between intervals since I'm currently doing C25k) and while I'm going around in ovals, at least I feel like I'm covering distance.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like both, I use the treadmill when it's extreme outside, and I use it to push myself to go faster. When it's warm/cool enough outside, I love running where the scenery changes, as does the terrain.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Outside. I get so bored and distracted on the treadmill. Love the smell of pollen, fresh cut grass, like looking out over the sea. And if it rains, it cools me down. I come back feeling refreshed rather than exhausted.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is my go-to guarantied run every morning and supports my consistency. Outdoor running is what it is all about though and I savor and enjoy every time I get the chance to do it. 5AM runs are tough though in the cold and/or dark. I am enjoying the long days now and hopefully won't get chased back inside until September. Still my treadmill waits patiently making sure I have no excuses not to get my run on.
  • Justact1
    Justact1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get bored running inside. Outside, there are so many more options.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've yet to run a race indoors on a treadmill....why would I train that way?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I love running outside..love trails!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Outside, definitely. Since I started running a few months ago (yep, newbie here) I have run once on a treadmill. Hated every minute. Today I even ran outside in 90 degree weather. I'd rather do that than hop on a treadmill any day.
  • jasonokara88
    jasonokara88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep it up guys, I really like both, when it is hot and humid I tend to run indoors. But on a nice cool day, when the breeze is really nice, oh yeah its time for a run. it only gets better from here. I know you can do it. I have completed a half marathon. I lost 20 lbs from doing the 12 week training plan from August to October. Take care and always keep the faith.
    Jason
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Outside! I love being able to look at scenery. I occasionally run on the treadmill at my parents' house and I HATE it. No matter how tight my dad puts the belt for me, I always feel my feet slipping out from underneath me. And I feel like I am just running running running and getting nowhere.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Outside. Most I can handle on Torture-mill is one mile.

I don't even think I could stick it out a mile on a dreadmill :noway:

Outside. Always outside.

I manage 5 mins on the treadmill and then collapse with boredom. i run out side and go to the gym to do classes/weights. Dreading winter as I'm going to have to get on the treadmill as the winters can be harsh.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Always outside.

I have 3 running goals for this year.

2600+ total miles
    sub 3:10 marathon
    Zero miles on the treadmill

Still on track for all three.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I like both.

I will run outside when the weather is a bit cooler and I don't lose several pints of blood from the mosquitoes and deer flies.

I run inside when I'm at the gym or it's winter/crappy/cold out. When I run on the TM at home I just throw on a show that I DVR'd and run for an hour.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Outside is much better because a treadmill cannot prepare you for all possible conditions on race day including:

steep downhills

curvy roads

gravel, banked roads, branches, etc

very hot or cold weather

rain, snow, etc
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Always outside.

I have 3 running goals for this year.

2600+ total miles
    sub 3:10 marathon