running.... inside or outside?

Options
12346»

Replies

• amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill, and usually watch TV or listen to an audiobook or podcast to stay entertained. I'll do the occasional race, but outside running is really hard on my joints, and I'd prefer to keep my original knees.

I love going for walks outside though - that's when I can actually take some time to enjoy the scenery and fresh air ... and not have to worry so much about keeping my pace while dodging dog poop and cars.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    ... can't say I ever really "run" (walk/jog is about the best I do)... but I'm an indoor exerciser. I'm afraid of dogs, and it is nice to not have the weather (too hot, too cold) as an excuse. With five kids, it's also good to be able to go five miles, and yet be available immediately in case Mommy is needed. I admit, I also like my distractions, my TV or music (as many have said you shouldn't listen to music while jogging outdoors, as you need to be aware of your surroundings).

In addition to the treadmill, there are a couple indoor tracks - the Olympic Oval is nearby (Utah hosted the Winter Olympics several years ago) and we got a family pass there. It was a nice place to go jog ... and having Apollo Anton Ohno and other Olympians skating right next to the track can't help but be inspiring. There is also a track above the basketball court at the local gym where my boys play. I love jogging during their games/practices ... I can watch them, and again, can't help but feed off their energy (and not that I'm one of those out of control sports parents, but it does totally give my competitive energy a place to go rather than just yelling *Ü*).
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am loving running outside. I run at a local high school track, so it's easier on my joints and there are less obstacles (dogs, cars, etc.). I am sure when the colder weather hits, I will probably head inside to a treadmill.