While working out do you think about...

Options

Replies

• IRollC30
    IRollC30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    6) is it over yet?

:laugh:

But seriously, my nephew or niece (don't know yet) that will arrive in November :)
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the workout. if it is aerobic -- running/cycling/etc- - then it is more a meditation/zone type of brain activity- -thoughts float in/around/and disappear.....
    If it is lifting weights -- then (and not neccesarily in order) - thought track is - work, world issues, peep watching at the gym (who could kick my *kitten*, look at hot chicks, good ideas for new routines, etc), watching the clock due to time constraints, reps/excercises still to do, noting any aches and pain, etc etc.

Regardless -- any excercise re-energizes me and reinforces a positive mental state!

cheers
    b
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    weightlifting- all business-- focused-- during rest periods i might stare at a tv if espn is on

cardio- skies the limit. MFP- - stuff i have to do- people i want to do- how i hate winter- wonder if people can hear how loud my headphones are... i dunno
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If running I try to distract myself by looking at the furthest thing I see and try to get there without thinking about my body.

I also pray, talk to God when running outside.

If on a training bike I watch training videos and watch my HR for zones.

If riding my bike outside I don't think too much, I really enjoy my bike rides. :)
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Five more minutes wont hurt..............keep going keep going this feels good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kanadian_bear
    Options
    When doing my cardio I find I really need to focus so I envision myself walking on a beautiful summer day when I'm on the treadmill and then climbing stairs while on the arctrainer. But when doing my weights etc., I typically let my mind run through the days activities and work on solutions to problems in my life. Pretty much that.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    6) is it over yet?

^^This....
  • Emily3456
    Emily3456 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Form/Reps... that is the beauty of working out! It clears all the other stuff out of my head (work/life/etc...)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    While I'm actually performing my reps or intervals, I pretty much only think about my form and doing the movements properly. I barely even hear the music from my iPod because I am so zoned in on what I'm doing. Between sets, I am usually dancing around to Van Halen or something. It looks sort of like this:

peanuts.gif
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    6) is it over yet?

7) How soon can I post my workout to MFP?

^^^^THIS, and

8) I really really really neeeeeeeeed to get an iPod one of these days.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When I'm using the weights, I can only think about doing each rep properly. All of my mental energy goes into counting, form, pushing myself, etc.

During cardio on the other hand, my mind is thinking a million different things! There's a the occasional "I can't do this! I'm gonna die! Why do I keep putting myself through this TORTURE" that always goes through my mind a few times during every workout lol! But usually it's thinking about things I have to do, thinking about how much progress I've made, thinking about my fitness goals, and just plain old feeling AWESOME!

Pretty much this is what I'm thinking about most of the time during cardio:
    I usually think about what a bad *kitten* i am, how strong i am, how great i am going to feel afterwards, what fun social plans i have on the horizon and what cute outfits i am going to wear and how great i am going to look in said cute outfits. LOL
    Except that I'm not actually a bad *kitten* OR strong LOL! But when I workout, I'm reminded of how much stronger and better I've gotten! That plus all of the exercise endorphins make me feel all kinds of bad and awesome! :laugh:
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    Uhm, am I the only one that sings like a breathless dying homeless man?

I may not sing like a breathless dying homeless man, but there are DEF days that I am breathing like a breathless dying homeless man *giggle*
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    depends on the workout - Jillian Michaels "how long have I been doing it" "good enough for now?" "I hate this B!"..then Zumba...singing away more than half way through..towards the end "wow already been half an hour!" oh and "crap ..can people see in my windows" LOL

^^ pretty much this

Also, "I'm gonna die!"
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm usually doing a mixture of the following:

Running/Biking/Elliptical:

Forcing myself to not look at the clock to see how long I have left in an interval
    Reminding myself why I'm doing this (accomplishment of long races, skinnier body)
    Laughing at what's on tv in front of me (if on treadmill)
    Singing along in my head with the music playing on my iPhone (if outside)
    My current pace (when I do look at the clock)
    Sex

Workout DVD:

How much time is left on the workout
    Whether or not I'm doing the exercise right
    Which girl in the DVD is the hottest
  • JavaSparrow
    JavaSparrow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do math in my head.
    I don't know why and I wish I could stop. :I

Thats so cool! you're cool! xD
    If i'm lifting, I count reps and think about how strong my muscles/bones are becoming <3
    running is more lonely for me, so i'm lucky if my mind wanders to anything else really.
    yoga, i'm just concentrating on doing the pose right or breathing evenly.
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    If I'm running outside (which is my FAVORITE kind of workout), I think about the scenery, how much I love my small town, and people watch (I run on a trail that is popular for bikers, dog walkers, strollers, horses...).

Treadmill at the gym, I'm just thinking about how freakin' boring it is, and how I hate that the treadmills all face a window that overlooks a Mexican Restaurant. So I get to stare at people drinking margaritas and eating all sorts of food, while I run like a hamster on a wheel, LOL

The cardio sculpt class I take, I am usually just checking my form with my weights, and my lunges/squats etc. and thinking about how great my butt is going to look when I'm done.

Weight lifting, I 100% just focus on form, because I do not want to injure myself, especially since I've recently increased my weights on my deadlifts and squats.

I also think about guys I have harmless little crushes on, and how it would be nice if they found my body smokin' hot ;)
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    Regulars are
    - "Ouch!"
    - "Must work out how to do a running mix on the ipod" (usually when hubby's Jethro Tull comes on the random play!)
    - sometimes if there are people behind me "does my bum look big"

When doing weights with the trainers there are some very strange noises that come from me, and I think "What am I doing?" "Closely followed by "I'm paying for this - I am giving this man my hard earned cash to cause me this much pain!"

The most amazing thought though, is sometimes in the free weights area, with lots of mirrors is when I look to check form, and think 'hang on, where am I?' Sometimes I honestly think they are trick mirrors because that slim person can't be me! Their stomach doesn't stick out further than their boobs, no back boobs....
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Form.

Definitely THIS.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    6) is it over yet?

7) How soon can I post my workout to MFP?

OMG glad i'm not the only especially when i have a REALLY REALLY great running day. i can't wait to post it.
  • sarahlynnekline
    Options
    I do math in my head.
    I don't know why and I wish I could stop. :I

I thought I was the only one!