whats everyones 300 calorie, filling, Fav meal?

Options

Replies

• suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    2 cups of bibb lettuce topped with 4 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breast, a sprinkle of cheese, and 2 tbsp of light ranch dressing. It's my lunch on most days and only comes to 200something calories. :)
  • k2mgurl
    k2mgurl Posts: 2
    Options
    Almond Crusted Cod Fish on a bed of blanched spinach
  • bunnybixler
    Options
    If you make vegetable lasagna with low fat cottage cheese in place of ricotta and use long, thin slices of zucchini instead of the noodles in the middle layers you can have a big hunk for about 300 cals.
  • bugsmom914
    bugsmom914 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just made this today, so good! :)
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Chicken Quesadilla! Made with boneless skinless baked chicken, diced tomatoes, chilles, peppers and onions with 2% mexican blend cheese- in between 2 (small) corn tortillas. Came in at just under 300 calories.

I know some people are going back and forth about 300 calorie meals being too small- I have been amazed to find that if I make small changes in my cooking (less oil, no butter- stop cooking with cream cheese lol) I can easily make tasty meals for around 300 calories per serving and be satisfied.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Chicken in weight watchers pitta bread with coleslaw, tomato and onion, around 300 cals im having 2 for my dinner
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Grilled Chicken Breast with "homemade salsa" (one serving)

Generic - Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Grilled 4oz, 4 oz = 120cal
    Kroger - 15oz Can Black Beans - Drained, Rinsed, 1/3cup = 73cal
    Corn - Sweet, yellow, canned, whole kernel, drained 1/2cup = 66cal
    The Mad Butcher's - Medium Salsa, 1/2cup = 40cal

Total: 299cal 4g fat 7g sugar 31g protein 4g calcium 1419mg Sodium

I really love this for summer time – and to use up leftover grilled chicken for lunch!
    If I have extra calories I can use, I add a dollop of sour cream!
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    eating 300 calories for a meal is absolutely ridiculous...

You need to pick better options......8 oz lemon pepper tilapia, 2 cups cooked spinach, and 1 cup cooked cauliflower around 330 calories. I only made it half way through this meal and I was full so I guess my 165 calorie meal of PURE nutrtion is just absolutely ridiculous HA! PPL really should research stuff before they post

Better choices for sure!! And have more SMALLER meals. Some people don't care to take advice.

LOL

Please explain the benefit of having more smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to one large meal and fasting for most of the day?

dude. chill. if fasting works for you, great. most people prefer to eat more often because it helps them stick to their diet and feel satisfied. WHO CARES! STOP being an *kitten*! At the end of the day, it makes no difference whether you ate one 2000 cal meal or ten 200 cal meals. People need to stop judging other people's methods like this. It's one thing to encourage better nutrition; it's quite another to be rude and push YOUR way when there is no reason for the average person to subscribe to your philosophy or methods.

I can eat 300 cals and be satisfied for sure if I eat the right things. My meals are usually 300-500 (1200-1400 cals total) with 2 higher days on the weekend. It's working wonderfully for ME. I've lost 10 lbs in the past 5 weeks, and I'm only 10 lbs overweight so it's not like it falls right off.
    I eat a mountain of roasted veggies for dinner most nights (roasted in 1-2 tsp olive oil) plus protein on the side (salmon or tofu, usually). Sometimes a small portion of quinoa or sweet potato too, but not usually. That fills me up for a few hours, then I have a 175cal super filling nighttime snack of plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit and chia seeds. It's not hard to be full on 300cal if you eat the right things!

The post made it sound as if more frequent and smaller meals had some HUGE benefit. People often have the idea that eating frequently boosts your metabolism, really meal frequency and timing are practically irrelevant. Just trying to dispel the BS that gets posted on here daily. I wasn't pushing fasting and a big meal in any way... I was just trying to weed out some crap that someone else was pushing about frequent meals being better for you.

Really, its what is sustainable for you personally. There is no metabolic advantage to meal timing and frequency.

Sweet name calling too, bro.

^^ knows what she is talking about...... and she has SWEET bi's ;)

I guess THESE ^^^ are the only people who know what they are talking about for EVERYONE'S body. All of us are stupid, and what we are doing obviously isn't correct (even if it is showing positive results... that is just a fluke). Congratulations on being SO much smarter about ME than I am ;-)

and your positive results would be weight loss on the scale ? are those the kind of results you are referring to ?

I have lost 45 lbs since I had my baby girl in November of 2011. I guess that is pretty positive since I did it slowly. Now that I have made it to my goal weight (a few months ago actually) I have upped my calories to 1500 per day, and have been maintaining easily, and toning up. I have lost measurement on my waist, hips and thighs from toning, have MUCH more muscle than I did before (lost a lot during pregnancy), and have built up my endurance tremendously. I am now toying with slowly raising my caloric intake as I am training for a few races this spring and summer. Where is the negative? I only see positive in my body changes. I was comfortable enough to wear a bikini in public FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER without a cover up, when I was on vaca last month. I would say THAT is pretty positive as well. So, if you would like to point out where I am starving myself, where my results are NOT positive, and where I will NOT see MORE positive results, I would be happy to read it.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    "Thai" spicy chicken wrap (1 serving)

Generic - Mission Carb Balance Soft Tortilla (Medium), 1 tortilla = 120Cal
    Generic - Grilled Skinless Chicken Breast 2 oz = 60cal
    Dole - Broccoli Slaw Raw, 1/3cup = 8cal
    Bunny-Luv - Organic Shredded Carrots, 1/3cup = 15cal
    Skippy - Natural Super Chunk Peanut Butter Spread, 1 Tbsp = 95cal
    Great Value - Low Sodium Soy Sauce, 1 Tbsp = 5cal
    Beldon - Rooster Brand - Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, 1 tsp = 5cal

Per Serving: 308cal 13g fat 6g sugar 23mg protein 8 calcium 1050mg sodium

Got this (roughly) from the Abs Diet cookbook.
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my biceps have increased in tone and size since I took that picture about 2-3 months ago... I guess that would be yet ANOTHER positive result of how I have been fueling my body and working out.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I take dumps bigger than 300 calorie meals.

Looks like you just dropped one on this thread. Thanks for participating with your helpful advice.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my biceps have increased in tone and size since I took that picture about 2-3 months ago... I guess that would be yet ANOTHER positive result of how I have been fueling my body and working out.

Funny how now that you want excellent results you have decided that you might need more food/fuel. Too bad you didn't discover that back in 2011 ..... imagine where you would be right now if someone had stepped up and told you to stop eating so little.

Now that you want to achieve more you are eating more.... yet you are angry with those that are suggesting it from the get go and hopefully preventing people from eating so little from the start.....

Do you realize that when you eat so little you burn off 50% fat AND 50% muscle.... if you eat properly and exercise hard you maintain most of your lean mass and mainly burn fat ? So all of that muscle you lost the past 2 yrs you are only now regaining ? Also, if you are eating at TDEE or below, you are NOT building muscle....at all You are strengthening what you have and shedding fat layers so the muscle is more visible. NO ONE gains muscle on a calorie deficit
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Funny how now that you want excellent results you have decided that you might need more food/fuel. Too bad you didn't discover that back in 2011 ..... imagine where you would be right now if someone had stepped up and told you to stop eating so little.

Now that you want to achieve more you are eating more.... yet you are angry with those that are suggesting it from the get go and hopefully preventing people from eating so little from the start.....

Do you realize that when you eat so little you burn off 50% fat AND 50% muscle.... if you eat properly and exercise hard you maintain your most of lean mass and mainly burn fat ? So all of that muscle you lost the past 2 yrs you are only now regaining ?

Unfortunately, it looks like some people just cannot help but derail this.

The part that I bolded above is absolutely, 100%, certifiably false.

Muscle loss can be mitigated through proper consumption of protein and through strength training at any calorie level. Even on VLCD's, research has shown this to be true. People with a more moderate deficit and improper nutrition still run the risk of malnutrition and muscle loss. In fact, people with no deficit at all who do not eat properly can lose muscle if they don't maintain adequate nutrition.

Furthermore, the most lean body mass loss (not strictly muscle) shown by research is in the neighborhood of 30% not 50% and that was on a diet of 600kcal not 1200 cal or any higher variation of calories that might include 300 calorie meals. Many people eat 300 calorie meals within their 1800+ diet (as has been indicated throughout this thread).

I don't know why people insist on derailing topics that are this awesome. I would rather be able to just scroll through and read the recipes.

And FWIW, I have had a couple Dexa scans that showed that I have maintained lean body mass on a 1200 cal diet.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options
    Breakfast sandwich:
    Sandwich thin (100 cal)
    1 Egg (70 cal) [can be subbed with 2 servings of Egg Beaters for 50 cal]
    1 ounce cheese (100 cal)
    Total 250-270 cal
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Do you realize that when you eat so little you burn off 50% fat AND 50% muscle.... if you eat properly and exercise hard you maintain your most of lean mass and mainly burn fat ? So all of that muscle you lost the past 2 yrs you are only now regaining ?

Muscle loss can be mitigated through proper consumption of protein and through strength training at any calorie level. Even on VLCD's, research has shown this to be true. People with a more moderate deficit and improper nutrition still run the risk of malnutrition and muscle loss. In fact, people with no deficit at all who do not eat properly can lose muscle if they don't maintain adequate nutrition.

Furthermore, the most lean body mass loss (not strictly muscle) shown by research is in the neighborhood of 30% not 50% and that was on a diet of 600kcal not 1200 cal or any higher variation of calories that might include 300 calorie meals. Many people eat 300 calorie meals within their 1800+ diet (as has been indicated throughout this thread).

I don't know why people insist on derailing topics that are this awesome. I would rather be able to just scroll through and read the recipes.

And FWIW, I have had a couple Dexa scans that showed that I have maintained lean body mass on a 1200 cal diet.

oh yes, everything you just said is correct, and eating 1200 cal is the way to go !! Have fun with that. Enjoy your non muscle loss and extra strength from that. When you get a moment, do a few google searches on the brilliant comments you just made and see what you find out...get back to us.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

oh yes, everything you just said is correct, and eating 1200 cal is the way to go !! Have fun with that. Enjoy your non muscle loss and extra strength from that. When you get a moment, do a few google searches on the brilliant comments you just made and see what you find out...get back to us.

I prefer my information from more reliable/accurate sources than whatever google happens to vomit at you when you smash in the keys. As such, here you go:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/47/1/19.full.pdf+html
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/2/411.short
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0026049594900051
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/2/155.short
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/54/1/56.short
    http://intl.jacn.org/content/18/2/115.short
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0026049594900051
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00007256-200636030-00

If you would like to carry on this conversation that is completely off topic of the OP, please feel free to message me. I can give you a dozen more studies to read through.

If you have any links to research that show that what I said is not true, please feel free to message them to me and I'll happily amend my statement. I have, however, done pretty thorough research so I tend to seriously doubt it.

If you would be so kind as to allow this thread to get back on topic, I would certainly appreciate it.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

You need to pick better options......8 oz lemon pepper tilapia, 2 cups cooked spinach, and 1 cup cooked cauliflower around 330 calories. I only made it half way through this meal and I was full so I guess my 165 calorie meal of PURE nutrtion is just absolutely ridiculous HA! PPL really should research stuff before they post

Better choices for sure!! And have more SMALLER meals. Some people don't care to take advice.

LOL

Please explain the benefit of having more smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to one large meal and fasting for most of the day?

For me, the benefit is not getting bloated from stuffing in 700 calories worth of food all at once. I also enjoy eating so I like to be doing it as often as possible. :) But everyone's different.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

LOL

For me, the benefit is not getting bloated from stuffing in 700 calories worth of food all at once. I also enjoy eating so I like to be doing it as often as possible. :) But everyone's different.

Sorry, I meant to ask the benefit other than personal preference and adherence to a diet of either way of eating. :/ I interpreted that post to say that if people knew what was best for them or took "advice" that we would all be eating multiple small meals a day and judging by the phrase "better choices" that would imply "clean" eating too, because its the "right" or "healthy" way. Guess I was looking for scientific benefit which I hope this dietary advice is based on.

But anyway, calc your TDEE, eat as many meals as you want, get adequate protein, eat at a small to moderate deficit and you'll lose... and try the 300cal recipe I posted... it has BACON and CHEESE in it.

Peace out, cubscouts, really didn't mean to start this big of a debate with my smart *kitten* comments. But like someone said, I'm just an *kitten*!

:drinker: