Not pregnant... but thanks for asking?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• AnderMama88
    AnderMama88 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ughhh...this is the absolute WORST!!

I had it happen once at 18 years old, I was running into a gas station and the cashier said "Oh, you're so cute! When are you due?!" I just said "I'm not," and left. Then, 5 years later, it happened again...3 times...in one month!! I was at work at a clothing store, and I was at the register with these 2 ladies and one says, "I almost hate to ask, but are you pregnant?" I just said "no" and finished her transaction, her and her friend both looked mortified. I bought some shape wear on my break to suck in my belly :( Next, another lady asked me and I said, "no, just fat!" The worst was she was a regular in the store so I had to see her a few times a week. The last time it happened a lady pointed at my belly and smiled and asked if I was pregnant, I said no, and she was like,"oh, I thought that was a maternity dress..."

Come on, people!! Seriously!? So embarrassing.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had this but not because I looked pregnant. I was buying prenatals because I was trying to conceive and the cashier asked me when I was due. Actually that day was the due date of a baby I miscarried. So yeah just don't ask. But I hope ppl don't stop offering seats because of these sensitivities because it was pretty bad when I was 9 months pregnant and no one offered. I mean come on ppl it's not just about comfort but the bus rides are bumpy and I'm likely to get an elbow in the belly at rush hour.
  • CLYee
    CLYee Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't let that get you down. Looks to me like you're making significant progress losing 29 lbs. I have the same problem with belly fat. I used to have to buy really low cut jeans b/c if they fit my butt, they were about two sizes too large in the waist. Now it's the total opposite! And that is the hardest part to get toned. I work out on that ball like a mad woman and my husband has even noticed the difference. I'm 41 and have never dieted before in my life so this is a difficult thing for me. But all you guys are an inspiration! Forget that comment and keep going forward. You can do it!!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my fat on my belly so when I was younger I got the "are you pregnant" thing often. I tried for years to get pregnant but found I was sterile, so the question hurt every time. I see no reason to try to spare the feelings of the person asking - I just used to say "no, I'm just fat" in my most dead voice and stare at them until they flinched.

Now that I am obviously too old I don't get asked any more. One of the few good things about aging.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    so if someone isnt allowed to ask you if youre preggers does that mean we dont have to give up our seats? (i say this as someone who has a gawdawful 3.5 mile commute to work so i dont use PT)
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    People are just so rude. I tend to carry the weight all over and am lucky that my belly doesn't jut out pregger-style. BUT I was very ill once and had majot difficulties with my back so i had to wear a brace which hurt so I had to get my self all padded up and when I put my coat on I did look quite fat, I didn't think I looked pregnant but definitely fat.

Anyhoo this guy on a bus asked me when I was due so i asked him when he was going to give up his seat, haha. :tongue:

He gave me his seat and then asked me again so i just muttered September and looked away, the shame hahaha. :blushing: Such a spoofer but it was less embarrassing than explaining that I wasn't, plus I was in pain and got the seat haha.:flowerforyou:
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It can be just as awkward for the person asking to.

My husbands best friend is a true gent, he was on the packed tube coming home from work in London, saw a pregnant lady having to stand and naturally offered his seat to her. She looked at him strangely and said why are you giving me your seat, he said well, because you are pregnant, she huffed at him and said no i'm not. He was totally mortified.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple of guys offer me there seats... I thought they were being nice guys now I find out they prob thought I was pregnant. Dammit!! :smile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    so if someone isnt allowed to ask you if youre preggers does that mean we dont have to give up our seats? (i say this as someone who has a gawdawful 3.5 mile commute to work so i dont use PT)

No it doesn't. Most ppl who look pregnant are and they shouldn't bear the brunt of a small minority. Please offer your seat.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    How very rude!!!

I had this when I was at my heaviest a number of years ago, from someone who worked in the canteen at my school. I was MORTIFIED and avoided her AND never wore the floaty top (that I thought was really pretty and looked nice) ever again!!!

THIS! This has only happened to me twice; the first time I actually WAS pregnant but didn't know yet (but a stranger did?!) & the second time I was wearing a new dress that I thought was so pretty... an older woman I barely know came over to congratulate me and ask when I was due..... *dies*
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A former co-worker asked me once - this was at a point when I'd lost about 20 pounds and continuously held my hand to my stomach because I couldn't believe it was finally flattening out - "Oh, are we having a baby?" I'm not snarky or confrontational so I just stood there, dumbstruck and not understanding how she couldn't see that I'm actually thinner than I was before! Thankfully, my boss walked by and heard her, and he's never lacked for words. He said to her, "Oh, are YOU having an ugliness contest?" She never approached me again.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I got asked last week by a patient at the hospital. I felt really bad and wanted to cry/starve myself. But instead, I ate a huge salad for lunch and did my scheduled C25K run after I got off my 12-hour shift. Even though it really hurt, I don't think that he meant it to be a hurtful comment.

I wish I was married and pregnant, but I'm divorced, sore, and a little chubby! Next time I might just try saying "I'm just carb loading." or something to that effect.

It did help me to realize that my priorities have become less "look like Adriana Lima" and more "run like a real runner". Who cares if other people think I'm pregnant? This is how I look, and I'm not ashamed of it. I've come a long way :)
  • LeahKRayas
    LeahKRayas Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This happened to me just after I had my first child. I went in for her four day check up with her dr.I was standing there holding my FOUR day old daughter and some lady asked me if I was pregnant! I just looked at her like she must be crazy and said nope I was pregnant four days ago but as you can see she is out now. Ugh people can be so dense sometimes.