support for Binge Eating Disorder

Options

Replies

• RachelH25
    RachelH25 Posts: 108
    Options
    Support for BED .... sign me up! I've been reading everyones responds and its nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.
    I started bingeing right after I got married. My husband sarted getting on my case about everything I put in my mouth. All the guys he knew told him that once he married me I would get fat. Even though I was skinny and happy with where my body was at the time I let him get to me. I felt like I couldn't eat anything around him so I started eating when he wasn't around.This led to eating as much as I could as fast as I could just on the weekends then slowly every other day of the week. I started exerciseing more to make up for it until all I was doing was eating and working out. I compleatly exusted myself.

I ended up gaining 15 pounds in 4 years until just before we dicided to geat peragnet. I lost 5lbs in 4 weeks. Then gained 50lbs during my peragnancy.

So now here I am eight weeks post pardom dealing with this all over again!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Support for BED .... sign me up! I've been reading everyones responds and its nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.
    I started bingeing right after I got married. My husband sarted getting on my case about everything I put in my mouth. All the guys he knew told him that once he married me I would get fat. Even though I was skinny and happy with where my body was at the time I let him get to me. I felt like I couldn't eat anything around him so I started eating when he wasn't around.This led to eating as much as I could as fast as I could just on the weekends then slowly every other day of the week. I started exerciseing more to make up for it until all I was doing was eating and working out. I compleatly exusted myself.

I ended up gaining 15 pounds in 4 years until just before we dicided to geat peragnet. I lost 5lbs in 4 weeks. Then gained 50lbs during my peragnancy.

So now here I am eight weeks post pardom dealing with this all over again!

Welcome Rachel! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Binge eating is a behavior that took over my control with food for far too long. I'm so glad I'm on the road to recovery and having people who really know what it's like to share experiences with is very important. I don't know that I will ever NEVER have the urge to binge, but if I can learn to deal with the emotions and feelings when they come up and have a good support system to turn to, i know that I can overcome this disease that has burdened me for the majority of my life.

Lately I've been doing well overall. I have noticed that once I start it is hard to stop, so sometimes the easiest method of combat is to distract myself from it completely. Unfortunately sometimes that is easier said than done and then I have to work on tactics to stop myself from continuing once I've begun.

And hormones SUCK! Mine have been all over the place since I started losing weight. Fat cells store estrogen and as I burn the fat off, the estrogen gets released into my body and well my body doesn't know what to do with all that extra stuff. I think my body thinks chocolate is the answer.

That's all for now.

Hoping we can get some more people to join the thread...support is needed!
  • MrsBattousai
    Options
    Well guys I have not binged in over a month but I binged tonight! I feel crappy after doing it but one lesson learned I have to let myself have a little sugar a day of bam I will binge. I have not been giving myself treats at all bad idea. Time to strat all over again. Damn I was over a month without binging. start again I quess. I hope others are having better luck.

Melissa
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Hi Melissa! Another successful learning experience; you did so great! You should be very proud of your accomplishment of eating better for a healthier you. I cannot say that I've been doing super great, but overall okay. I had to put down my orange cat on Friday and I took Fri-Mon off from MFP and logging my food. I ate several things in a larger quantity than I would have otherwise and I definitely did not have enough fruits & veggies. But overall I did eat very mindfully and mostly just was having a problem with ice cream. That stems back a long way in my life. Ice cream is the heal all in my family. Ice cream makes everything better. And it has been a very sad time for me these past few days. I am doing better, I am logging my food again and staying away from too much sugar.
  • MrsBattousai
    Options
    Hey!

Tks! I know we can do it one day at a time! Stress is a huge factor I'm trying to keep myself really busy so I'm not turning to food. Good luck to you as well!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking here. I still binge on occasion and I know the desire to binge may not ever go away completely, but logging helps keep me on track most days now. I have read several books on this matter over the years.

This weekend I had semi binges but I was able to stop myself before going into a full blown binge. I still have the tendencies for sure.

I was in therphy for this order for about 4 years in my late 20's. I still use some of the statergies I learned now to battle BED.

Right now I do Overeaters Anonoymous (OA) on line and face to face once a week to remain mindful and control my binges. I am still recovering. BED and compulsive overeating go hand and hand. For me they are one in the same because a COE is the beginning of a binge most times.

Sorry if preachy or repetive....:-) Keep up the good work and do not dispair when struggling. Just never give up and you will gain control. We can do this. Do not beat yourself up when you fail or struggle. Get back up and keep on keeping on.

Hugs, Molly
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    RECOVERY MEDITATIONS
    One Day at a Time
    September 7, 2010

~ HONESTY ~

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

"If it is not right do not do it;
    if it is not true do not say it."

Marcus Aurelius

:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:

Honesty of all sorts is important, but
    honesty with ourselves is
    foundational. With everything that was
    in me, I resisted the notion that I had
    an eating disorder. Everybody else had a
    problem with my eating, not me. But when
    I finally faced the painful truth, I
    began the journey to freedom, from not
    merely overeating, but from all the
    underlying bondage that had caused me to
    stuff my feelings.

What power comes from honesty! I used to
    be afraid of truth, but truth is becoming my friend.

ONE DAY AT A TIME . . .

Today I will not let myself hide
    from truth simply to be comfortable;
    I will use truth as a tool for freedom
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Our dearest Mollie, your words are always so helpful. Honesty is very powerful. I see how I wasn't really being honest about a lot of things in regards to weight loss success before. Or perhaps it was just selective memory. Now that I am logging everything I eat (good or bad) I really see how different it is and how it has to be that way in order to lose weight.
  • MrsBattousai
    Options
    Hey!

Tks so much for the post. It is so true being honest to myself and others have really helped me with this. Talking it out with someone trying to solve the problem or getting to the bottom of it. I'm really looking forward to going to this program for addicting behaivers I think it will help me alot. The past 3 days have been hell for me. Stress is getting to me and I keep turning to food. I think one of the problems is I'm not eating a well balaned diet so I'm using the Canada's food guide to get everything in to see if that helps. Because I was not eating everything I should and not eating dairy and to much fruit and vegs. And not enough good grains. So we will see. I also gave up gum on Saturday I think that was other problem instead of chewing gum I was eating to much food mostly sugar. So I put gum back in to see if that helps I'm just going to not go overboard. I can do this it is just trying to find a balance in my food.

Melissa
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Diane - So sorry to hear about your cat. I will be going through a similar experience soon. My dog of 15 years is suffering from kidney failure.
    Mrs. B - Hope you are back on track. You did so well and I know you can do it again.
    Even though I don't know you guys personally, I do think about all of you on this site struggling with binging. I really wish the best for all of you.
    As for me, I have some good days and I have some bad days. It's so hard to understand how some days I can keep a handle on the binging and other days it's like some demon monster inside me who wants to eat everything in sight. Hopefully some day I will figure it out, but in the meantime, all we can do is the best that we can.
  • Robin42
    Options
    I have never realized that there is a name for what I suffer from. Thank you all for being there. I need to be part of this, please. I have 1 day of not binging. I pray that today I will be strong, too.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Welcome Robin!
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Robin - Welcome. Good job on your day of no binging. We all know that sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds. Keep up the good work, and take it one day at a time.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Melissa,
    Gum is a lifesaver for me. It helps to delay the craving to binge when I am not hungry or if I have just eaten and want to keep going just because. Hope the new program works for you.

Have a wonderful day everyone! ODAT.
  • kelbel76
    kelbel76 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I just found this thread and I'm glad it's just not me with this issue. I was doing so well the past couple weeks and then I had a "cheat" meal on Saturday when I went out with a friend and I've basically been spiralling since then. I'm hopefully back on track today. I have to learn not to keep bad foods in the house. I always tell myself I will control my portions if I buy it but then it turns into a massacre. Ugh. Hope everyone has a great day today and stays strong.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Welcome Kelbel, thanks for posting!
  • VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just found this thread. for me i feel like i binge eat at least 2 times a week. if i go over my cals at all im like "ah f**k it..." then all my hard work from working out during the week just goes to waste. I need to learn the point of when i'm about to binge. i'll try harder to just "walk away" and go start something else. but also once youre in the middle of it there's no stopping it! and i hate it. and i always feel so bad about myself afterwards. telling myself "wow, was that really necessary?" or "why didnt you just stop?", " i wonder how much you'll gain from that". and it usually delays my weight loss by 4 days. but then by that time its starting all over again. impossible. but i'm good at maintinging my weight! binge one day, workout 4 (joke). anyone have any good suggestions? maybe popcorn.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Wow, I'm so glad to see some activity on this thread today! Vbos, popcorn is an excellent suggestion. I will eat a whole bag of the 94% fat free stuff sometimes when I'm in the mood to munch. My binge foods are almost all sugary ones, so when I'm feeling insatiable, popcorn helps fill me up, take away the urge to munch and doesn't set me off for a binge and popcorn is relatively healthy without gobs of butter, so I don't feel bad for eating so much. Thanks for posting!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Another thing I'll do w/ popcorn is spray it w/ nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle parmesan cheese on it for taste.
  • VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    they have those mini single serve bags now too. i'll go get some today lol, that way when i feel like i just "have" to eat something i can throw one of those in the micro, and not feel guilty about eating it. maybe that'll satisfy my carb craving.