Texting is NOT ENOUGH, Pick Up the Damned Phone!!

Options

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The only phone communication I actually hate is voicemail. OMIGOD! It's 2013! Who uses voicemail?!

I'm a cheap *kitten* and I only have a 200 text plan, so I do a fair amount of calling. OP, send me your number and I'll call you. ;)
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Call me old fashioned, but I appreciate traditional gender roles in which the man COURTS the woman.

So.... do you make a good samwich?

I'm Italian and I went to culinary school so what do you think?

Lol..Point taken
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My husband basically moved in with me after our first date and we eloped a couple weeks later. We have been married for over 4 years and we hardly ever talk on the phone. We mainly google chat. I tell people that we don't even know how to talk on the phone. But that's because we never had to. We were always around each other, basically from day one.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    The only phone communication I actually hate is voicemail. OMIGOD! It's 2013! Who uses voicemail?!

I'm a cheap *kitten* and I only have a 200 text plan, so I do a fair amount of calling. OP, send me your number and I'll call you. ;)

smooooth operator......
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This because I often think of things during the day I want to say before I forget. Usually it's when I can't or don't have time to talk.
  • Onemoodycuss
    Onemoodycuss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow. When did it become a bad thing to expect a certain standard of behavior? I don't think there's anything wrong with hook-ups, texting, hanging out, or whatever. But so many women in this thread seem more resigned to the "fact" that they may not get more than a text, than they are ok with just getting a text. The common thread throughout this thread, see what I did there, seems to be that women, or the OP, anyway, is dissatisfied with so many men's attitude of minimum effort for maximum results. But the women in this thread seem to have really low expectations of men.
    I have a little girl, and I'm trying to raise her not to buy into that nonsense. It's not needy to expect a phone call. Old fashioned isn't a cuss word. I'm teaching my little girl that if a guy's really interested he can make a phone call, open a door, pull out a chair.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    So when's the last time anyone here wrote a real letter? I did to my mom last week for her birthday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

When Santa never wrote back I said eff writing letters
    Well addressing it to South Pole probably didn't help.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Wow. When did it become a bad thing to expect a certain standard of behavior? I don't think there's anything wrong with hook-ups, texting, hanging out, or whatever. But so many women in this thread seem more resigned to the "fact" that they may not get more than a text, than they are ok with just getting a text. The common thread throughout this thread, see what I did there, seems to be that women, or the OP, anyway, is dissatisfied with so many men's attitude of minimum effort for maximum results. But the women in this thread seem to have really low expectations of men.
    I have a little girl, and I'm trying to raise her not to buy into that nonsense. It's not needy to expect a phone call. Old fashioned isn't a cuss word. I'm teaching my little girl that if a guy's really interested he can make a phone call, open a door, pull out a chair.

^^ I'm all about not setting oneself up with false expectations, but I think there should be AT LEAST SOME standards, don't you? The reason that this stuff is changing is because society is allowing it to happen. It's not that women need "protecting". We can take care of ourselves, but I come from the school of thought that we take care of EACH OTHER. I
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    So when's the last time anyone here wrote a real letter? I did to my mom last week for her birthday.

IDEA Fitness member

When Santa never wrote back I said eff writing letters
    Well addressing it to South Pole probably didn't help.

IDEA Fitness member

I thought he was vacation I thought if I sent it in July he'd get the heads and have plenty of time to get my stuff
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I HATE telephones. Texting, too. Don't expect to hear from me unless you're on a website I frequent.
  • pnubn1
    pnubn1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Texting is just more private..and more convenient. With the hours people work these days..and all the people they may be surrounded by throughout the day...texting is a way to keep your chats out of everyone's business. As far as dating goes..dates are , to me...just ok. I mean, I would rather be somewhere with my boyfriend..just chillin..relaxing..and not always out somewhere spending money. The traditional dates, I think..are a thing of the past. When you connect with someone..really connecting..it doesn't matter where you spend your time together..or how you spend that time...you just wanna be together. Everything doesn't have to be so public all the time. Men use to go broke..constantly taking women on dates...dates that went no where. Times change...you dont have to abide by so many "rules" now. Men and women know who they want and what they want. Phonecalls are forgotten....I would rather get a text saying "you're on my mind..I miss you"..because I can read it anytime I think about him. Dont get me wrong...a call is nice sometimes too...but there are only certain times they are acceptable..a text is good 24/7
  • Onemoodycuss
    Onemoodycuss Posts: 95 Member
    Options

^^ I'm all about not setting oneself up with false expectations, but I think there should be AT LEAST SOME standards, don't you? The reason that this stuff is changing is because society is allowing it to happen. It's not that women need "protecting". We can take care of ourselves, but I come from the school of thought that we take care of EACH OTHER. I

Agreed.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Texting is just more private..and more convenient. With the hours people work these days..and all the people they may be surrounded by throughout the day...texting is a way to keep your chats out of everyone's business. As far as dating goes..dates are , to me...just ok. I mean, I would rather be somewhere with my boyfriend..just chillin..relaxing..and not always out somewhere spending money. The traditional dates, I think..are a thing of the past. When you connect with someone..really connecting..it doesn't matter where you spend your time together..or how you spend that time...you just wanna be together. Everything doesn't have to be so public all the time. Men use to go broke..constantly taking women on dates...dates that went no where. Times change...you dont have to abide by so many "rules" now. Men and women know who they want and what they want. Phonecalls are forgotten....I would rather get a text saying "you're on my mind..I miss you"..because I can read it anytime I think about him. Dont get me wrong...a call is nice sometimes too...but there are only certain times they are acceptable..a text is good 24/7

I feel like this a very New-Depression area mindset that "dates are thing of the past." A date does not need to involve lavish amounts of money because it very much is about the time spent together. A walk in town or the park, a museum or even coffee are all a "date". I think of it as creating a sacred space around the relationship and making it special, set aside from just chilling with your friends. It increases the value of dating over just hooking up or casual time spent together. There is a time for that, as that's what the bulk of a relationship consists of.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    maybe they don't wanna go through a lot of effort after being let down by other girls.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The best thing you should do is look for someone who feels the same way you do. Chances are, that may be difficult.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have a Zack Morris phone so I can't even text. Calling is the only way to go when I want to give Kelly piece of the old Kapowski :)

zack-morris-phone.jpg
  • bellyboosmom
    bellyboosmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have had this same conversation numerous times recently. We are becoming a society that cannot communicate appropriately. I watch my twenty year old sisters texting their boyfriends while sitting in the same room! I have married friends who talk to each other through facebook more than they talk in person.

Most people have no concept of good grammar these days, as everything is abbreviated to the point that people cannot even spell properly any longer. Don't get me wrong, I like texting for things that can be said quickly, and for things that don't necessarily need a reply. I don't like having a conversation through text messages. I have lost friends over this, as well as possible romantic interests. Believe me when I say that it does not bother me in the least. If I am not worth two minutes of someone's time to pick up a telephone, then I don't need them in my life.
  • pnubn1
    pnubn1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You are definitely old-fashioned. Times change....technology changes....people change. Women are fierce beings. We have evolved. We dont have to wait to see if a guy will ask us out. If you are interested..ASK HIM OUT. Why expect HIM to do everything....we are no longer June and Ward Cleaver. And I'm not trying to be rude..I just find it funny that in 2013..we still expect things to be like they were 50 years ago. If you want something..go for it. Hey, most guys appreciate a "take charge" kinda woman. It balances out a relationship beautifully. Guys are strong..most men appreciate a take charge kinda woman..but will still be the man..and rock that you need. Try it..dont wait...just do it.

And about texts....sometimes you can say things via text....that you just cant say on the phone..because of lack of privacy...and sometimes you wanna blow his mind....and not everyone els's...no pun intended.

And another thing I know for a fact....men don't waste their time with women who have a bunch of rules and expectations...they pick up on these things quickly...and will drop you like a hot rock. Women either, for that matter.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    No, I will not.

what if I ask nice?

Depends if you're on knees whilst you ask...

Of course, it's the only way to ask for things, isn't it?

This is a formal date in the making..
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Standards and expectations aren't the same thing. Keeping an open mind doesn't mean settling. It means having the ability to think critically and creatively and accept new dynamics. Or you can just get frustrated that things aren't how they used to be. Whatever makes you happier.

The most common issue is that people *expect* things without communicating them, and then they are disappointed when those things don't happen. No, it's not needy to expect a phone call, but it's not reasonable to expect a phone call without telling the guy 'I think phone calls are very important and I would love to get a phone call from you rather than a text.' Otherwise, you're not just expecting a phone call, you're expecting him to read your mind *and* give you a phone call. That would be like me getting irritated at a guy for calling me without ever saying 'Hey, I don't like talking on the phone, so I would appreciate it if we could either email or talk in person.'

Can't be disappointed that things aren't happening if you aren't setting them in motion.