McDonalds McWrap

Options
I recently saw an advertisement for the new McDonald's Chicken Wrap on Facebook. Before that, I read a nutritional review on the product and let's just say that out of everything in the wrap, the tomato & lettuce are the only items that are just that, the chicken alone is made up of over 20 ingredients!

A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

Source for nutrition - http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/03/27/mcdonalds-mcwraps-a-nutritious-choice/

Replies

• meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    people need to start taking responsibility for what they put into their own bodies. i am overweight, and its no one's fault but my own. i CHOSE to eat crappy. and with restaurants having their nutritional info available online, people have access to it. their ads might be misleading, but if people really think eating at mcdonalds is going to help them lose weight, then they are doomed from the get go.
    i always tell my friends who are trying to lose weight to look into things. ive made a list of the healthiest options for chain restaurants, and there is no reason they cannot do the same.
    it seems like the best places for healthier choices are subway (obviously) and taco bell. if you choose to eat fast food, you have to understand that it isnt going to be healthy....you have to put some effort into being healthy. if you want to eat things that are all-natural, then start cooking for yourself.
  • econlight
    econlight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is little difference between the food industry and the tobacco industry. The following article from the NYTimes is a real eye opener (as are the book, Fast Food Nation, or the HBO series "The Weight of the Nation").

Yes, we can each make good, healthy choices, but it doesn't help when our kids' schools have vending machines and fast food, when unhealthy, fattening food is cheaper than healthy choices, and when families have little time to cook a proper meal. It's more than just about people's 'poor' choices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Looked up the calories and nutritional content. The only way to eat the McWrap is grilled, w/out any sauce and extra lettuce and tomatoes (I always add pickles!!).
  • beachchic3030
    beachchic3030 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Since I started losing weight I have pretty much cut out fast food and aside from the mcd's cone I havent had any fast food in around a month which is major for me so been doing a lot more cooking and trying new things and its working:smile:
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    When it comes down to it, it's up to the person what they want to eat. I'm sure McDonalds has a few low-calorie/healthier options (McDonalds in Australia have been offering healthier option, i.e instead of fries and coke you can get a bottle of water and a salad as sides) however they're just not picking them.

Does anyone remember the woman who tried to sue McDonalds because THEY made her fat?

Is "fast food" really that much cheaper? I remember on Jamie Oliver's show he proved that wrong (he cooked a meal for the same cost, and fast than it took for the pizza to arrive).
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    How are they killing people if said people choose to eat there? That being said I had Mcdonalds for lunch the other day. Grilled bbq snack wrap and side salad. It was yummy.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an advertisement for the new McDonald's Chicken Wrap on Facebook. Before that, I read a nutritional review on the product and let's just say that out of everything in the wrap, the tomato & lettuce are the only items that are just that, the chicken alone is made up of over 20 ingredients!

A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

Source for nutrition - http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/03/27/mcdonalds-mcwraps-a-nutritious-choice/

Yes, McDonald's is definitely killing people. Good post and link. There's a McDonald's with wifi three blocks from my house. I've gone back to college and once in a while walk up there with my laptop to work on a paper, just to get out of the house. There is NOTHING on the McD menu that I can eat that's healthy. They used to have a fruit and walnut salad with sugary nuts, but the yogurt, apples and grapes were good. I found out they've discontinued that salad. It's better for me if I just stay away from McD completely.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I disagree with the statement that fast food is not cheaper than healthy food. Here in US - you can get two for one coupons, super-size free, coupons and discounts. I can feed a hungry group of kids for $12.00. Good luck filling then up on chicken, hummus, salad and veggies. Even good starches. All this will be at least $20.00 and then there are the leftovers and they are hungry in 2 hours and start to snack. Even adults, chicken, fish, lean meats are not cheap. Veggies are out of season and expensive here. The only cheap thing are dried beans and rice.

It costs more to eat healthy. That being said, you can always find good things to eat at fast food places. I agree if you compare these items on their menus to healthy food at home, it is probably just as costly. So... conclusion is... eating healthy is more expensive than junky.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumblr and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    People need to be responsible for educating themselves on nutrition. It should really be no surprise in this day and age that anything at McDonalds is not healthy or good for you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you were to buy those same ingredients at the store(the wrap, ranch sauce, spring mix), they would most likely have the same ingredient list. The only thing that would be different is the chicken, depending on what cut you used.

Considering that, if you were to get it once or twice, would it kill you? No, probably not.

Even if you were to make it at home, it would be just as "processed" and "bad" for you. The only thing that would change is the amount of sodium, really.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you were to buy those same ingredients at the store(the wrap, ranch sauce, spring mix), they would most likely have the same ingredient list. The only thing that would be different is the chicken, depending on what cut you used.

Considering that, if you were to get it once or twice, would it kill you? No, probably not.

Even if you were to make it at home, it would be just as "processed" and "bad" for you. The only thing that would change is the amount of sodium, really.

Not if you used organic ingredients and made/breaded your own chicken... You could easily make this meal at home and make it healthy too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I gave up most fast food 10+ years ago. When I lost my weight. I've never looked back. And, I've never gained the weight back either. cheers.
    Thanks for posting this.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    People seem to forget. Anything home cooked > Fast food. You don't NEED to buy the expensive lean beef, etc, regular mince will probably still work out healthier than fast food options.

I LOVE my McDonalds (though I haven't probably be in 2-3 months... but I pretty much cook all my meals) but I'm an adult, I choose how often I eat it, kids have no choice in the matter, and have no self control. If you offer a kid salad or fries, they're going to go for the fries. Sometime you just need to take those options away from them for their own good.

I'm curious if it really is that expensive to eat 'fresh' in the US, I'm going to have to check it out when I'm on holiday there. Bit worried I'm going to put on weight, everyone tells me the portions are huge over there and to always share with a friend.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    People seem to forget. Anything home cooked > Fast food. You don't NEED to buy the expensive lean beef, etc, regular mince will probably still work out healthier than fast food options.

I LOVE my McDonalds (though I haven't probably be in 2-3 months... but I pretty much cook all my meals) but I'm an adult, I choose how often I eat it, kids have no choice in the matter, and have no self control. If you offer a kid salad or fries, they're going to go for the fries. Sometime you just need to take those options away from them for their own good.

I'm curious if it really is that expensive to eat 'fresh' in the US, I'm going to have to check it out when I'm on holiday there. Bit worried I'm going to put on weight, everyone tells me the portions are huge over there and to always share with a friend.
    The comparison will depend on where you are, but yeah, the portions are big. I take about half of each restaurant meal home to eat later (asking for a box to take food home is common here).
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Right on.... There is no way McDonalds is killing anybody... They buy the same chicken breast we buy at the store. Do you think they have a specific supplier that grows and processes unhealthy chickens just for them???????
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

that is blatantly untrue. there are many, many more whacked out ingredients in the McDs wrap/ranch/cheese/chicken than the foods you buy at the store. do you really want me to copy+paste the ingredients here and compare? better yet, do your own damn research.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

lies. and you absolutely could be eating organic locally sourced unprocessed foods if you wanted to. it's extremely easy and not as expensive as you think if you look up local CSA's or go to farmer's markets.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    McDisgusting.

I'm not even going to comment on if the food is killing us.

It tastes awful.