McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumblr and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

I think I'll take my chances with mcdonalds or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Agreed! The ingredient list for those Morningstar Grillers is just as long and scary as the McDonald's Chicken!

TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WATER FOR HYDRATION), EGG WHITES, CORN OIL, CALCIUM CASEINATE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, ONION POWDER, CANOLA OIL, TRIGLYCERIDES FROM COCONUT OIL, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN GLUTEN, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), DEXTROSE, SALT, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SUGAR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, CARAMEL COLOR, CULTURED WHEY, MALTODEXTRIN, GARLIC POWDER, SPICE, CELLULOSE GUM, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, WHEAT), VITAMINS AND MINERALS (NIACINAMIDE, IRON [FERROUS SULFATE], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN B12), SESAME SEED OIL, CELERY EXTRACT, SOY LECITHIN.
    At least you get a glass of wine with your McDonalds in Paris....the only saving grace. lol
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumblr and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

Hold is this picture? I can't find any of those things that cheap at Wal-mart, especially not the hamburger!!

I noticed the same thing. Also, when I do take my kids to McDonalds, I order from the "dollar menu"..I never order "meals".
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    OK here's the ****ing deal

1) If you go to McDonalds that's on you. The restaurant isn't "evil" for selling a product people want. That's their job. People make people fat.

2) Food at McDonalds is NOT "just as healthy" as a home-made alternative made with whole foods and as few chemical/synthetic additives as possible

3) Eating fast food daily, even if you stay within your macros, is likely to pose risks down the road such as heart disease (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63/abstract) or hypertension (due to sodium intake) at the very least

4) Eating fast food in moderation (even once or twice a week) probably won't hurt you, as long as the majority of your diet comes from whole foods.

:love: So true.....I sure do love you lol
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is little difference between the food industry and the tobacco industry. The following article from the NYTimes is a real eye opener (as are the book, Fast Food Nation, or the HBO series "The Weight of the Nation").

Yes, we can each make good, healthy choices, but it doesn't help when our kids' schools have vending machines and fast food, when unhealthy, fattening food is cheaper than healthy choices, and when families have little time to cook a proper meal. It's more than just about people's 'poor' choices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    What's worse is that the food they serve for school lunch is no better than what's in the vending machines. Extremely processed and low quality. The fruits and vegetables are so low quality, they taste horrible, so no one wants to eat them. Most of the choices are some kind of meat wanna be with tons of additives. McDonald's is probably healthier than what they want to feed our kids. Then people wonder why the majority of our nation is overweight and more and more kids are obese. When I went to school and had lunch with my daughter, I started insisting on her taking her lunch.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yes they would. absolutely they would.

So how do you propose I make my chicken wrap? From scratch? Slaughter the chickens, process the grains for my tortilla. Make the cheese? Would that make it "healthier"?

I think he'd want you to buy the ingredients from Trader Joe's so they don't have scary things like "xantham gum" in them. Oh, wait, a lot of the "all natural" stuff has that. Well, maybe he wants you to avoid dextrose. Or maybe he thinks that yeast extract is deadly.

Seriously, there are no scary ingredients in the McWrap you won't find in Mission tortillas or Kraft shredded cheese.

I agree completely. questionable chemical additives, partially hydrogenated oils and trans fats are bad no matter where you get them from.

So do you avoid grass fed beef, since they are higher in trans fats than their grain fed counterparts?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    FYI, the lowest-calorie panini you can get at Panera has 710 calories and 2460mg of sodium
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

I saw these images going around tumbler and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

I think I'll take my chances with McDonald's or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to circulating.

Do you live by a 99 Cents super store? My boyfriend and I purchased enough perfectly good groceries ( veggies, bread, cheese, eggs, milk, fruits; meats were purchased elsewhere) to feed four people for a little less than a month for less than forty dollars. I've only ever seen these stores in the western part of the country but you could check other dollar store types. The selections are quite basic but if you wanted more selection, use the savings to buy other options elsewhere.
    sorry, but a 99 cent bag of woody broccoli stems is just not something my family will eat. But the point is, this picture is not about shopping at some bottom of the barrel store. It is supposed to be a comparison between fast food and fresh food. The comparison how ever is terrible. The meal you would make from the grocery food is wacky. They should fix this if they want to make a real point.

We bought 99 Cents store groceries when we were visiting my family in Cali and back here in Louisiana, we buy groceries from a locally sourced grocery store and my boyfriend couldn't tell the difference when everything was cooked. Heck, you can go to Target or Walmart and get some well priced groceries. Even if you want to argue that cheap groceries don't taste as good as pricier ones, they're still healthier foods at a low cost and the main point was cost wasn't it? People are arguing that eating junky fast food is cheaper than having nutritive foods and that argument in invalid since, as many have pointed out, you can get lots of groceries for cheap if you look.
    Since when did I ever ask for shopping tips? I did not. I shop just fine for my family. The point I made and the point you miss is, the prices listed here are not what you actually pay anywhere. Who understands that? Oh never mind....... carry on!

I'm not sure why you are taking offense. The "shopping tips" weren't to you specifically-- they were for anyone who is looking for healthier foods at a lower cost. You might not care, others might be very happy to hear there are low cost, healthy options out there. And your point-- that groceries can not be found for that low of a price-- isn't missed, it's wrong as you can get very near those prices. Dinner at my house was chicken curry with rice and vegetables last night and calculating the cost of all the ingredients which we purchased from a locally sourced grocery and Target, it comes to $3.73 to feed each person so yes, those prices are doable.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options

1) If you go to McDonalds that's on you. The restaurant isn't "evil" for selling a product people want. That's their job. People make people fat.

2) Food at McDonalds is NOT "just as healthy" as a home-made alternative made with whole foods and as few chemical/synthetic additives as possible

3) Eating fast food daily, even if you stay within your macros, is likely to pose risks down the road such as heart disease (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63/abstract) or hypertension (due to sodium intake) at the very least

4) Eating fast food in moderation (even once or twice a week) probably won't hurt you, as long as the majority of your diet comes from whole foods.

ohh...wew ....thanks for clearing that up for me
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

ohh...wew ....thanks for clearing that up for me

any time! :flowerforyou:
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I saw these images going around tumbler and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

I think I'll take my chances with McDonald's or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to circulating.

Do you live by a 99 Cents super store? My boyfriend and I purchased enough perfectly good groceries ( veggies, bread, cheese, eggs, milk, fruits; meats were purchased elsewhere) to feed four people for a little less than a month for less than forty dollars. I've only ever seen these stores in the western part of the country but you could check other dollar store types. The selections are quite basic but if you wanted more selection, use the savings to buy other options elsewhere.
    sorry, but a 99 cent bag of woody broccoli stems is just not something my family will eat. But the point is, this picture is not about shopping at some bottom of the barrel store. It is supposed to be a comparison between fast food and fresh food. The comparison how ever is terrible. The meal you would make from the grocery food is wacky. They should fix this if they want to make a real point.

We bought 99 Cents store groceries when we were visiting my family in Cali and back here in Louisiana, we buy groceries from a locally sourced grocery store and my boyfriend couldn't tell the difference when everything was cooked. Heck, you can go to Target or Walmart and get some well priced groceries. Even if you want to argue that cheap groceries don't taste as good as pricier ones, they're still healthier foods at a low cost and the main point was cost wasn't it? People are arguing that eating junky fast food is cheaper than having nutritive foods and that argument in invalid since, as many have pointed out, you can get lots of groceries for cheap if you look.
    Since when did I ever ask for shopping tips? I did not. I shop just fine for my family. The point I made and the point you miss is, the prices listed here are not what you actually pay anywhere. Who understands that? Oh never mind....... carry on!

I'm not sure why you are taking offense. The "shopping tips" weren't to you specifically-- they were for anyone who is looking for healthier foods at a lower cost. You might not care, others might be very happy to hear there are low cost, healthy options out there. And your point-- that groceries can not be found for that low of a price-- isn't missed, it's wrong as you can get very near those prices. Dinner at my house was chicken curry with rice and vegetables last night and calculating the cost of all the ingredients which we purchased from a locally sourced grocery and Target, it comes to $3.73 to feed each person so yes, those prices are doable.

The topic was McWraps? WTF.....lol *smacks everyone back on track*
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Yes, McDonald's is definitely killing people. Good post and link. There's a McDonald's with wifi three blocks from my house. I've gone back to college and once in a while walk up there with my laptop to work on a paper, just to get out of the house. There is NOTHING on the McD menu that I can eat that's healthy. They used to have a fruit and walnut salad with sugary nuts, but the yogurt, apples and grapes were good. I found out they've discontinued that salad. It's better for me if I just stay away from McD completely.

But of course, you're all too willing to rip off their wifi, designed for paying customers. At least order a diet soda or something. or did the sheeple on MFP convince you that that is "definitely killing people" also???

HUH? I don't rip off anybody. If Iwalk into a McD's, I order something -- coffee, the fruit and walnut salad they just discontinued, a yogurt parfait. I would never walk in there to take up a table without paying. Most of the McD's food is calorie laden and greasy and yes, it's terrible for people's health.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to becirculating.

Actually, I buy all of those things at the store and for where I am in the midwest, those prices are pretty much dead on.

Last night I bought $80 worth of groceries that will last us about 10 days. The only processed items in the cart were coffee creamer, a box of veggie pasta, a loaf of honey wheat bread and a new toothbrush!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes, McDonald's is definitely killing people. Good post and link. There's a McDonald's with wifi three blocks from my house. I've gone back to college and once in a while walk up there with my laptop to work on a paper, just to get out of the house. There is NOTHING on the McD menu that I can eat that's healthy. They used to have a fruit and walnut salad with sugary nuts, but the yogurt, apples and grapes were good. I found out they've discontinued that salad. It's better for me if I just stay away from McD completely.

But of course, you're all too willing to rip off their wifi, designed for paying customers. At least order a diet soda or something. or did the sheeple on MFP convince you that that is "definitely killing people" also???

HUH? I don't rip off anybody. If Iwalk into a McD's, I order something -- coffee, the fruit and walnut salad they just discontinued, a yogurt parfait. I would never walk in there to take up a table without paying. Most of the McD's food is calorie laden and greasy and yes, it's terrible for people's health.

A lot of it is not "calorie laden." You can get a pretty big salad with grilled chicken and Newman's Own dressing for under 300 calories. A grilled chicken sandwich without the mayo is about 300 calories as well. The fruit and yogurt parfait has 150 if you include the granola, though it does have a bunch of sugar (not really different from store-bought yogurt though of course). A grilled McWrap has between 390 and 460 calories.
  • anaduffy
    anaduffy Posts: 74
    Options
    Honestly ppl will you stop bashing McD I don't like eating there but if you are eating there the mcwrap is not all that bad? McD has taken such a hit with everyone blaming them for making them fat. It bothers me that everyone bashes them when it's there own fault. No one put a gun to anyone's head and said eat a big mac meal super sized with 2 pies and a large shake until you weigh 300 lbs it's ridiculous to blame a company or a restaurant for your weight problem.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Where do I get healthy food for so cheap? $1.67 for a lb of strawberries? $2.98 for a lb of 96% ground beef... $3.95 for a gallon of 100% orange juice... really? The unsalted cashews I buy here are $15 a tub!

That's total crap. You can probably double the cost.

But anyway. I can eat relatively healthy at McDonald's as long as I don't care about sodium. The caesar salad with grilled chicken and low fat dressing is only like 210 calories total. The grilled classic chicken burger is 300 calories (with no mayo). Could be worse. it's not that great though.

And yes i looked at the McWrap, and figured I'd have to buy it without sauce. Or with for like 400 calories, which could be worse, but I don't know how full I'd be after that... Not really worth it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

A lot of it is not "calorie laden." You can get a pretty big salad with grilled chicken and Newman's Own dressing for under 300 calories. A grilled chicken sandwich without the mayo is about 300 calories as well. The fruit and yogurt parfait has 150 if you include the granola, though it does have a bunch of sugar (not really different from store-bought yogurt though of course). A grilled McWrap has between 390 and 460 calories.

you wouldn't happen to own stock in McDonalds?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    you wouldn't happen to own stock in McDonalds?

No.

Unlike you, I have no financial interest of any kind in any particular food or nutrition brand.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Jonny's right :p Honestly. It's possible to make 'good' choices.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten in fast food places in years with the exception of last summer with family visiting from England. Had a big mack and fries........ tasted absolutely disgusting. I guess either the force is strong within these places or most people have a genetic taste bud deficieny.:happy:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And yes i looked at the McWrap, and figured I'd have to buy it without sauce. Not really worth it.

Why? Looking through your diary I see plenty of meals and items that have more calories than a grilled chicken McWrap. That pizza and dark chocolate you had a couple days ago has more than a crispy chicken McWrap.

And you had about 400 calories of chocolate mousse pie a few days ago.

Yet you say you'd "have to" get a 390-calorie item without the sauce in order to have one?