McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Everyone is wrong in this thread. Only I know what good food tastes like.
    Very true statement because I do not have your taste buds! :laugh: :drinker:
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Here's the ingredient list for a typical bottle of Ken's marinade:

Water, Sugar, Vinegar (Distilled, Red Wine), Brown Sugar, Salt, Tomato Paste, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil), Lime Juice Concentrate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Spices, Honey, Contains 2% or Less of Modified Food Starch, Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, Garlic (Dried), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Onion (Dried), Caramel Color, Hydrolyzed Corn and Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Polysorbate 80, Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Carotenal (Color), Egg Yolk, Corn Syrup, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Tamarind.

Look at all that stuff! Holy cow. I imagine if you put a little bit of that on your grilled chicken, suddenly it has 30+ ingredients and is positively deadly, just like a McWrap!

Shame on Kens for killing PPL!!! :laugh:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Water, Sugar, Vinegar (Distilled, Red Wine), Brown Sugar, Salt, Tomato Paste, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil), Lime Juice Concentrate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Spices, Honey, Contains 2% or Less of Modified Food Starch, Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, Garlic (Dried), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Onion (Dried), Caramel Color, Hydrolyzed Corn and Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Polysorbate 80, Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Carotenal (Color), Egg Yolk, Corn Syrup, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Tamarind.

Look at all that stuff! Holy cow. I imagine if you put a little bit of that on your grilled chicken, suddenly it has 30+ ingredients and is positively deadly, just like a McWrap!

still no added trans fats like your McWrap.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Shame on Kens for killing PPL!!! :laugh:

Ken's uses more ingredients than McDonald's.

Clearly, marinating your chicken at home with Ken's Marinade makes it even worse than McDonald's. Look at all those scary chemicals.

So it's BETTER to eat a McWrap than to assemble your own using a Mission tortilla, Kraft shredded cheese, fresh lettuce and tomato and cucumber, a little bit of Kraft ranch dressing, and a grilled chicken fillet you've marinated with Ken's.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an advertisement for the new McDonald's Chicken Wrap on Facebook. Before that, I read a nutritional review on the product and let's just say that out of everything in the wrap, the tomato & lettuce are the only items that are just that, the chicken alone is made up of over 20 ingredients!

A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

Source for nutrition - http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/03/27/mcdonalds-mcwraps-a-nutritious-choice/

No. No one is forcing the food down our throats. We CHOOSE to eat the crap.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

Where do I get healthy food for so cheap? $1.67 for a lb of strawberries? $2.98 for a lb of 96% ground beef... $3.95 for a gallon of 100% orange juice... really? The unsalted cashews I buy here are $15 a tub!

Low income/distressed areas will likely have food prices that low. Those are pretty much half price compared to what we get here >_>

Also that chicken breast ingredient list isn't that scary. It looks like a chicken breast + seasoning. You people don't use seasoning?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Looked up the calories and nutritional content. The only way to eat the McWrap is grilled, w/out any sauce and extra lettuce and tomatoes (I always add pickles!!).

Personal opinion. If it fits your goals, eat it any way you want.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here's the ingredient list for a typical bottle of Ken's

There's less trans fat in any McWrap than a steak. So I'm not too worried about it.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It is NOT our choice.
    Our culture supports poor eating; it's *totally* pervasive.
    It's our responsibility to grow up and question the paradigm, yes---but *everybody* has some degree of authoritarianism in them, and nearly everybody is pretty moderately or very authoritarian. Our culture shapes us. That doesn't make us "bad" at making decisions. It means we're taking cues from a society founded on very flawed ideas.

There's a lot that I could say here, because this is one of my favorite topics, but I will just say this:

Marion Nestle is chair of the Council on Nutrition Policy of the National Association for Public Health Policy, has been working in food and health policy since 1986, and helped draft the food pyramid released in 1992.

She wrote in her book, Food Politics, that the doctors who formulated the food pyramid had to submit it to Congress for approval, which they did in the late 80's. Vegetables and fruit were by far the largest section on their pyramid, with grains next, and sparing portions of meat, dairy and fats.

What happened was that meat, grain and the processed food industries freaked out, and lobbied hard against the proposed pyramid. Grain farmers wanted to keep getting their subsidies, and meat and processed foods wanted to keep getting cheap access to grains (for feed and additives--like high fructose corn syrup and soy lecithin). Congress wouldn't pass the food pyramid as the medical doctors originally submitted, and the group was essentially forced to revise it to what was published.

Our access to information is shaped by people that don't have public health in their best interest, or who think that anything you put in your body is "fine" as long as you do so in moderation--and don't care to analyze it deeper than that. It doesn't help that food science is complicated and general science knowledge is low.
    For example: One of the reasons why sugar in fruit is different than refined sugar is because fruits also contain phenols, which prevent the LDL (bad) cholesterol from reacting with free radicals in the body and oxidizing. That goes way over most people's heads.

I intend to create a longer post on that later, but for now I just want to use this to say ... the bottom line is that we are bombarbed by information that is coming from people who don't have our health interests at heart. The people who do have are best interests at heart are generally less well-funded or otherwise unable to reach a wide audience.

People thinking fast food is cheap, or McDonald's can be healthy ... it's culture, not idiocy.

It's not the individual's fault; it's the whole system's.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is how people actually think McDonalds is good (as in taste). Especially the fries. They have to be the most overrated things ever! The burgers are even worse. The chicken nuggets are the worst out of all the fast food restaurants. The chicken selects are somewhat decent if they are just out of the fryer. The breakfast sandwiches make me gage - literally.

I just don't get it. It sort of baffles me. I'm just curious; do any of you "defenders" actually like the food???
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Looked up the calories and nutritional content. The only way to eat the McWrap is grilled, w/out any sauce and extra lettuce and tomatoes (I always add pickles!!).

Personal opinion. If it fits your goals, eat it any way you want.

True dat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Where do I get healthy food for so cheap? $1.67 for a lb of strawberries? $2.98 for a lb of 96% ground beef... $3.95 for a gallon of 100% orange juice... really? The unsalted cashews I buy here are $15 a tub!

Low income/distressed areas will likely have food prices that low. Those are pretty much half price compared to what we get here >_>

Also that chicken breast ingredient list isn't that scary. It looks like a chicken breast + seasoning. You people don't use seasoning?

the McWrap Chicken is actually:
    Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

is the chicken itself worse than anything you get in the grocery store? no. but do you cook your chicken in trans fat liquid margarine?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

There's less trans fat in any McWrap than a steak. So I'm not too worried about it.
    Sounds legit.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

lol based on what? prove it. (also, that's one of the reasons you shouldn't eat steak every day. same holds true with your beloved McDs)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I REALLY want some french fries now.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

lol based on what? prove it. (also, that's one of the reasons you shouldn't eat steak every day. same holds true with your beloved McDs)
    There is a difference guys in natural trans fats aka CLA in steak than partially hydrogenated poly veg oil in the wrap.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The grilled McWraps have 0g trans fat, which means <0.5g, and the crispy ones have 0.5g trans fat.

A 10-ounce steak typically has around 1g.
  • CoachRIDICULOUS
    Options

Based on the fact that I am a bleepin' moron.
  • CoachRIDICULOUS
    Options

the McWrap Chicken is actually:
    Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

is the chicken itself worse than anything you get in the grocery store? no. but do you cook your chicken in trans fat liquid margarine?

Sometimes, as a coach, not even I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The grilled McWraps have 0g trans fat, which means <0.5g, and the crispy ones have 0.5g trans fat.

A 10-ounce steak typically has around 1g.

Jonny, repeat after me:

"There is more trans fat in my McDonalds McWrap than in a homemade chicken wrap."