McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    And to address the "oh no! it's deadly" smartassery, It's not that anyone is saying these chemicals are deadly, but just bad for your health. It is not good to keep this kind of garbage flowing through our bodies. Fast food every once in a while, and fast food several times a week are not the same thing. Moderation never killed anyone. As far as the one who mentioned the symptoms of MS, this is true. While the chemicals are not causing MS, they do cause MS- like symptoms. That should tell how great the garbage is. Judging by some of the attitude around here, that crap will also make a person right cranky.

Just hopped out of the pool to grab a Subway sandwich and came across this.

Soooo . . . fast food causes MS-like symptoms and spinach causes gout . . . I'm screwed! Back to the pool! We'll see about that MS thing today when I'm deadlifting.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on February 28, 2011 and have not had fast food (McD, Burger King, Wendy's) since that day. Bottom line, we are what we eat.

Fast and cheap? sounds about right. :wink:

I guess I am easy, convenient, and everyone wants me even though they think I'm bad (when in reality I'm not).

I can live with that :laugh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    FYI, the lowest-calorie panini you can get at Panera has 710 calories and 2460mg of sodium

Yes, Panera's low-cal options are disappointing...

And yet somehow we don't have thread after thread on MFP about how incredibly awful Panera is. No one accuses Panera or Friendly's or Applebee's or even Subway of causing MS, premature death, etc (except maybe Reddy).

But as soon as McDonald's comes up, it's "fake food" that's "full of chemicals" and yadda yadda yadda. Even though there's nothing in McD's food that isn't in Panera, Friendly's, Applebee's, Subway, etc.

Friendly's???? Isn't that the restaurant from "Finding a Friend for the End of the World" where the special of the day was a hummer? I'm pretty sure those are very healthy.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    FYI, the lowest-calorie panini you can get at Panera has 710 calories and 2460mg of sodium

And yet somehow we don't have thread after thread on MFP about how incredibly awful Panera is. No one accuses Panera or Friendly's or Applebee's or even Subway of causing MS, premature death, etc (except maybe Reddy).

But as soon as McDonald's comes up, it's "fake food" that's "full of chemicals" and yadda yadda yadda. Even though there's nothing in McD's food that isn't in Panera, Friendly's, Applebee's, Subway, etc.

I see that too. Here is why I think this is happening...............

For the most part EVERYONE has had McDonalds growing up as a child via a parent, grandparent, friends birthdays, etc. The ppl who grew up and continued to eat it (whether they admit it now or not) and have become obese choose to jump on the "BLAME" bandwagon when they come here to change their lives. It isn't the fact they had no self control, lack of proper portions, and didn't exercise. No, no, no...it is "big corporations KILLING the people of the world!". Those same fatties that got fat due to selfish greed and lack of self control now comdemn, judge and persecute those who are bright enough to research things theirselves and intelligent enough to figure out moderation and self control is the key to success. You can still eat that "EVIL" McDonalds if it fits into your macros and RDI.

Long story short.....fat ppl are pissed at the wrong things because they lack accountability and in a lot of cases....common sense. Stop being a sheep among the herd, do your own research and be a wolf. Or a sheep herder...but I like to EAT!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

None of those places are great options if you're looking for healthy food.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Subway is healthy. Spinach salad with as many veggies as you want of your choosing. How is that not healthy?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    *Pops in to wonder whether anyone has pointed out that many of those ingredients Reddy listed as "evil" are micronutrients put in to enrich foods (citric acid, I'm calling you out) and starches.

Pops back out*

Fear the Xanthan gum and maltodextrin, people. Fear them.

Or look them up and wonder what the fuss is about.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I can have a healthy meal at any of them, in fact. Of course you won't consider it healthy, but you also think a couple tablespoons of Ken's marinade and shredded cheese will cause health problems.

I've gotta say, it's nice being able to go to pretty much any food establishment in the country and know I'll be able to eat something healthy that helps me achieve my nutrition goals for the day.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    *Pops in to wonder whether anyone has pointed out that many of those ingredients Reddy listed as "evil" are micronutrients put in to enrich foods (citric acid, I'm calling you out) and starches.

Pops back out*

Reddy's thinking pretty much goes "I don't add these things to my food, therefore they are bad."

He has literally and directly said that fewer ingredients is better. Like that's the best way to determine how healthy food is: count the number of ingredients.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I can have a healthy meal at any of them, in fact. Of course you won't consider it healthy, but you also think a couple tablespoons of Ken's marinade and shredded cheese will cause health problems.

I've gotta say, it's nice being able to go to pretty much any food establishment in the country and know I'll be able to eat something healthy that helps me achieve my nutrition goals for the day.

Wish I lived somewhere like that... :P

Nah of course all those places have less bad choices, but that's all they are. The nutritional content is still dramatically inferior to eating food that hasn't been stored for months and treated with preservatives and color enhancers.

As for fortified micros, their bio availability is much lower than real micro nutrients.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Pops back out*

Reddy's thinking pretty much goes "I don't add these things to my food, therefore they are bad."

He has literally and directly said that fewer ingredients is better. Like that's the best way to determine how healthy food is: count the number of ingredients.

It's a great start. And if everyone followed that guideline, the obesity epidemic would be a thing of the past.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It's a great start. And if everyone followed that guideline, the obesity epidemic would be a thing of the past.

That is nonsense.

What's the heaviest you've been? What's your personal experience been with massive overeating and obesity?
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Pops back out*

Come on coach you know that self control and accountability are the best start :laugh:
    And you didnt respond to my subway comment..................:tongue:
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Pops back out*

So... if I ate 5000 calories a day over my TDEE of single-ingredient foods, I wouldn't be fat. Seems legit.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

I didn't read the other responses, but just an FYI in case no one else mentioned it, there are lots of "promo pictures" that are being falsely "liked". I had a ton of friends "appear" to be liking McDonalds, and in fact, they had not done so. Such a scam! I saw it also happening with Samsung and some other companies.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Pops back out*

So... if I eat 5000 calories a day over my TDEE of single-ingredient foods, I wouldn't be fat. Seems legit.

That isn't possible if you eat a balanced whole food diet. A human stomach can't expand that much to accommodate the volume of food that would require.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Pops back out*

Come on coach you know that self control and accountability are the best start :laugh:
    And you didnt respond to my subway comment..................:tongue:
    I'm typing on a really ****ty phone. Lol. The salads are... fine... but still lacking nutrients compared to fresh veggies.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Pops back out*

So... if I eat 5000 calories a day over my TDEE of single-ingredient foods, I wouldn't be fat. Seems legit.

That isn't possible if you eat a balanced whole food diet. A human stomach can't expand that much to accommodate the volume of food that would require.

... Says a guy whose calorie goal is 4000 on clean food. 4000 is fine but 5000 is impossible? Dude what?

I guarantee you I could eat a massive surplus of food you consider clean. Ground beef, butter, nuts, oils, deep-fried meats and veggies, grains, cheese, you name it. And if this were 10 years ago and all that was available to me were foods you consider clean, I still would have gotten fat.

Obesity is not caused by too many ingredients in food. Saying that using fewer ingredients would fix the obesity problem is absolutely ridiculous and proves you're completely blind to the realities of people other than yourself.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Is "fast food" really that much cheaper? I remember on Jamie Oliver's show he proved that wrong (he cooked a meal for the same cost, and fast than it took for the pizza to arrive).

I loved that show!
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    Are we really still debating about the McWrap?

I ate one for lunch. It was very delicious. I am still alive. All organs are functioning.