McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumbler and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

I think I'll take my chances with McDonald's or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to circulating.

Do you live by a 99 Cents super store? My boyfriend and I purchased enough perfectly good groceries ( veggies, bread, cheese, eggs, milk, fruits; meats were purchased elsewhere) to feed four people for a little less than a month for less than forty dollars. I've only ever seen these stores in the western part of the country but you could check other dollar store types. The selections are quite basic but if you wanted more selection, use the savings to buy other options elsewhere.
    sorry, but a 99 cent bag of woody broccoli stems is just not something my family will eat. But the point is, this picture is not about shopping at some bottom of the barrel store. It is supposed to be a comparison between fast food and fresh food. The comparison how ever is terrible. The meal you would make from the grocery food is wacky. They should fix this if they want to make a real point.

We bought 99 Cents store groceries when we were visiting my family in Cali and back here in Louisiana, we buy groceries from a locally sourced grocery store and my boyfriend couldn't tell the difference when everything was cooked. Heck, you can go to Target or Walmart and get some well priced groceries. Even if you want to argue that cheap groceries don't taste as good as pricier ones, they're still healthier foods at a low cost and the main point was cost wasn't it? People are arguing that eating junky fast food is cheaper than having nutritive foods and that argument in invalid since, as many have pointed out, you can get lots of groceries for cheap if you look.
    Since when did I ever ask for shopping tips? I did not. I shop just fine for my family. The point I made and the point you miss is, the prices listed here are not what you actually pay anywhere. Who understands that? Oh never mind....... carry on!

I'm not sure why you are taking offense. The "shopping tips" weren't to you specifically-- they were for anyone who is looking for healthier foods at a lower cost. You might not care, others might be very happy to hear there are low cost, healthy options out there. And your point-- that groceries can not be found for that low of a price-- isn't missed, it's wrong as you can get very near those prices. Dinner at my house was chicken curry with rice and vegetables last night and calculating the cost of all the ingredients which we purchased from a locally sourced grocery and Target, it comes to $3.73 to feed each person so yes, those prices are doable.
    I am not taking offense so much as I am reiterating my original and missed point.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat McDonalds once a week (sometimes twice) and my weight has gone down not up and I've continued to lose weight, ok it's not healthy but neither is breathing in the air outside.
  • CoachRIDICULOUS
    Options
    <insert condescending message here>
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Personal responsibility has to come into play at some point, unless you want the gov't holding your hand and controlling every single move we make...People have a choice to eat or not eat there. You would have to be living under a rock to believe that the food is good for you or even healthy, calories are printed on the menu board and you can ask for a nutrient hand out (at my store they are one the back of the tray liners as well)

But on a side note where can you find lean hamburger for under 3$...I'm lucky when I find it for around 4.50
    I got ground turkey 98/15, last wk @ wmart for 1.99/lb :) - comp'd a local market ad, i rarely buy beef (just cuz i prefer turkey)
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I eat McDonalds once a week (sometimes twice) and my weight has gone down not up and I've continued to lose weight, ok it's not healthy but neither is breathing in the air outside.

"Applauds" That means all those ppl that bash McDonalds because they eat all organic and 100% clean should stop breathing :laugh: Unless they have some magic wand that makes the air they breathe around them totally clean :laugh:
  • marc_s_johnson
    Options

"Applauds" That means all those ppl that bash McDonalds because they eat all organic and 100% clean should stop breathing :laugh: Unless they have some magic wand that makes the air they breathe around them totally clean :laugh:

I guess those people are the ones that wear 'Michael Jackson' surgical masks and wear rubber gloves where there's 'people eveywhere'
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    the sodium is ridiculous in this wrap! 20 ingredients for chicken ??? sounds like something i dont want in my body. this is the way they kill people and make money doing it. the people pay to be unhealthy

:laugh: All this time I was trying to figure out how to off someone, who knew I could hand them a McWrap and get the same results! :laugh:
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's not half bad.I like the sweet chili one. And to be honest just before these came out, I was wishing they had a bigger version of their snack wraps. Well.. tada! I don't see why people need to bash fast food places, they aren't going to go away. Fast food fits in a lot of folks lifestyles and that's just the way it is.Besides, they're just trying to provide better choices for people on the go. Better than burgers or fried stuff, or nuggets or whatever.
    And 18 of those 20 ingredients in the chicken are seasonigs.
    The other 10 or so are whatever they cook it with.
  • marc_s_johnson
    Options
    ha, if they ever made a Scream 5 Ghostface could run around feading people McD Wraps and create carnage everywhere.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    And to address the "oh no! it's deadly" smartassery, It's not that anyone is saying these chemicals are deadly, but just bad for your health. It is not good to keep this kind of garbage flowing through our bodies. Fast food every once in a while, and fast food several times a week are not the same thing. Moderation never killed anyone. As far as the one who mentioned the symptoms of MS, this is true. While the chemicals are not causing MS, they do cause MS- like symptoms. That should tell how great the garbage is. Judging by some of the attitude around here, that crap will also make a person right cranky.
  • shakey68
    shakey68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on February 28, 2011 and have not had fast food (McD, Burger King, Wendy's) since that day. Bottom line, we are what we eat.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I just had the grilled sweet chili wrap last week. I thought it tasted pretty good. I was out shopping with my kids and knew I wouldn't have time to eat when I got home so we ran through the drive-thru. Do I do it every week? No. Will that one trip kills us? No.
  • ac7ss
    ac7ss Posts: 15
    Options
    While I don't care much for McD. I can find something to eat at any restaurant that is within my plan. It is usually one of the cheapest items (a small bonus).

I tried a grilled McWrap last week. Not too bad, but a small burger would have been just as satisfying (and 1/3 the price). I also tried the Wendy's Chicken Wrap. (The flatbread tasted like cardboard.)

Fast food has a place. It can be great when travelling and good for a quick fix. Rarely would I make something at home that I could have picked up at a fast food joint. Unless you are meticulous about measuring things, your hamburger will be at least 2 servings of ground beef (6-8 oz) compared to a McD regular patty (1.6 oz) and thusly will have more calories.

McD didn't make people fat. People with bad habits (myself included) made themselves fat. You can still make smart choices using fast food.
  • ac7ss
    ac7ss Posts: 15
    Options
    <insert condescending message here>
    <Insert snarky comeback here>
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And to address the "oh no! it's deadly" smartassery, It's not that anyone is saying these chemicals are deadly, but just bad for your health. It is not good to keep this kind of garbage flowing through our bodies. Fast food every once in a while, and fast food several times a week are not the same thing. Moderation never killed anyone. As far as the one who mentioned the symptoms of MS, this is true. While the chemicals are not causing MS, they do cause MS- like symptoms. That should tell how great the garbage is. Judging by some of the attitude around here, that crap will also make a person right cranky.

I'd like to see the research that proves these "chemicals" cause MS symptoms.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This just really makes me want mcdonalds. I blame ALL of you for the new banner ads I have on my screen.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    While the chemicals are not causing MS, they do cause MS- like symptoms.

Which chemical is that, exactly?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    FYI, the lowest-calorie panini you can get at Panera has 710 calories and 2460mg of sodium

Yes, Panera's low-cal options are disappointing...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    FYI, the lowest-calorie panini you can get at Panera has 710 calories and 2460mg of sodium

Yes, Panera's low-cal options are disappointing...

And yet somehow we don't have thread after thread on MFP about how incredibly awful Panera is. No one accuses Panera or Friendly's or Applebee's or even Subway of causing MS, premature death, etc (except maybe Reddy).

But as soon as McDonald's comes up, it's "fake food" that's "full of chemicals" and yadda yadda yadda. Even though there's nothing in McD's food that isn't in Panera, Friendly's, Applebee's, Subway, etc.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on February 28, 2011 and have not had fast food (McD, Burger King, Wendy's) since that day. Bottom line, we are what we eat.

Fast and cheap? sounds about right. :wink: