McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• jazzguy4him
    jazzguy4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Looked up the calories and nutritional content. The only way to eat the McWrap is grilled, w/out any sauce and extra lettuce and tomatoes (I always add pickles!!).

Really? The only way?

I had a grilled McWrap the other day with 2 side salads and 1 balsamic dressing. 435 calories for all of it. It was McAwesome and cost me less than $3 because of the promo they had. I'll be back to get another one.

To each thier own. People need to chill on the hating.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumblr and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

I like this pic. I see with the hamburgers only about 1-2 meals depending on if you are feeding a whole family. With the grocery meal I see about 3 meals and at least 3 days worth of food.

Personally I found the wrap cheaply made and the sauce was overly sweet and terrible. It seems a shame to spend a $1 on probably $.25 worth of ingredients. I don't even think it was an ounce of chicken and the lettuce was wilted.

If I have to eat there I'll stick to the cheese burgers or breakfast burrito.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating some McDonald's. It's better to eat single portions of McDonald's than eating double portions of hemp burritos or whatever. So what if the chicken has 20 ingredients?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    *Pops in to wonder whether anyone has pointed out that many of those ingredients Reddy listed as "evil" are micronutrients put in to enrich foods (citric acid, I'm calling you out) and starches.

Pops back out*

Fear the Xanthan gum and maltodextrin, people. Fear them.

Or look them up and wonder what the fuss is about.

Reddy's thinking pretty much goes "I don't add these things to my food, therefore they are bad."

He has literally and directly said that fewer ingredients is better. Like that's the best way to determine how healthy food is: count the number of ingredients.

It's a great start. And if everyone followed that guideline, the obesity epidemic would be a thing of the past.

So... if I eat 5000 calories a day over my TDEE of single-ingredient foods, I wouldn't be fat. Seems legit.

That isn't possible if you eat a balanced whole food diet. A human stomach can't expand that much to accommodate the volume of food that would require.

... Says a guy whose calorie goal is 4000 on clean food. 4000 is fine but 5000 is impossible? Dude what?

I guarantee you I could eat a massive surplus of food you consider clean. Ground beef, butter, nuts, oils, deep-fried meats and veggies, grains, cheese, you name it. And if this were 10 years ago and all that was available to me were foods you consider clean, I still would have gotten fat.

Obesity is not caused by too many ingredients in food. Saying that using fewer ingredients would fix the obesity problem is absolutely ridiculous and proves you're completely blind to the realities of people other than yourself.

There are so many flaws in this argument, but I'm on a phone so I'll respond later
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

Fcck Yes!!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It is NOT our choice.
    Our culture supports poor eating; it's *totally* pervasive.
    It's our responsibility to grow up and question the paradigm, yes---but *everybody* has some degree of authoritarianism in them, and nearly everybody is pretty moderately or very authoritarian. Our culture shapes us. That doesn't make us "bad" at making decisions. It means we're taking cues from a society founded on very flawed ideas.

Wait, if we're taking cues from a society founded on very flawed ideas, then we're choosing to take those cues. No one holds a burger up to your face and yells "DO IT OR I'LL KILL YOU". Yes, our culture shapes us, but do we have to bend to the social norm or social authoritarianism as you put it? No, we certainly do not.
    I can't blame society for me being fat. Just because my friends got a chocolate shake doesn't mean I have to, I can say no.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Is "fast food" really that much cheaper? I remember on Jamie Oliver's show he proved that wrong (he cooked a meal for the same cost, and fast than it took for the pizza to arrive).

I loved that show!

Cool episode I'd love to see that. Was that with the ingredients pre-prepped?
  • Jocosase
    Jocosase Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I went to McDonalds the other day and got a Chicken sandwich and small fries and a water. I fit with my daily calorie intake. It worked. I didn't die, not did i get struck by lighting after I walked out. I could have gone in there and had what I used to eat all the time: Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries and a Large Coke. But I CHOSE not to because I simply chose not eat that anymore.

People, we all need to take responsibility for our actions. I admit I got hecka fat eating food that I KNEW was not good for me even as I was stuffing my face with it. Still, it was my poor choices that got me to gain all kinds of poundage. This desire to blame society, blame advertising, blame evil corporate fast food industry is crazy. There is so much that can be said about this, but maybe some other day.

For now, just enjoy your visit to Mcdonalds. If you don't like it, then don't eat it. :laugh:
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    *Pops in to wonder whether anyone has pointed out that many of those ingredients Reddy listed as "evil" are micronutrients put in to enrich foods (citric acid, I'm calling you out) and starches.

Pops back out*

Reddy's thinking pretty much goes "I don't add these things to my food, therefore they are bad."

He has literally and directly said that fewer ingredients is better. Like that's the best way to determine how healthy food is: count the number of ingredients.

It's a great start. And if everyone followed that guideline, the obesity epidemic would be a thing of the past.

You really need to bracket your arguments better. Fewer ingredients simply =/= healthier. A salad with a whole bunch of different vegetables has many ingredients, but certainly doesn't have a declining nutritional value as I add lettuce, carrots, spinach, kale, endive, radiccio (sp?), radishes, bell peppers (green, red, orange, AND yellow!), you get my point, etc. It just isn't a good argument on its face.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Mmm.... chicken skin.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on February 28, 2011 and have not had fast food (McD, Burger King, Wendy's) since that day. Bottom line, we are what we eat.

Fast and cheap? sounds about right. :wink:

Blaine_this.gif
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Here's the ingredient list for a typical bottle of Ken's marinade:

Water, Sugar, Vinegar (Distilled, Red Wine), Brown Sugar, Salt, Tomato Paste, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil), Lime Juice Concentrate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Spices, Honey, Contains 2% or Less of Modified Food Starch, Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, Garlic (Dried), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Onion (Dried), Caramel Color, Hydrolyzed Corn and Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Polysorbate 80, Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Carotenal (Color), Egg Yolk, Corn Syrup, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Tamarind.

Look at all that stuff! Holy cow. I imagine if you put a little bit of that on your grilled chicken, suddenly it has 30+ ingredients and is positively deadly, just like a McWrap!

This is exactly why you should read food labels regardless if it comes from fast food or the grocery store. There are multiple products out there of the same exact thing (or looks to be the same) that really are NOT the same. You can find ice cream with 15 ingredients or one with 3, most people would pick the one with less chemicals and crap in it. Same goes for peanut butter, jelly, etc. If you don't read ingredient labels, you should.

I don't think people dispute this because of the calories per se, it is all the additional crap that is put into this food unnecessarily. It is very easy to make your own seasoning blends that don't have added crap to them like prepackaged ones. It is all in what you choose to use.

If I made a "mcwrap" at home, my chicken would not be covered with 28 different ingredients to season it. I just think it is unneccessary and very misleading to consumers who don't know about these things.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Pops back out*

So... if I eat 5000 calories a day over my TDEE of single-ingredient foods, I wouldn't be fat. Seems legit.

That isn't possible if you eat a balanced whole food diet. A human stomach can't expand that much to accommodate the volume of food that would require.

1 cup whole almonds 826
    1 kalona yogurt 102
    3 organic valley eggs 210
    4slices organic prairie bacon 540
    2 slices rudis organic bread 200
    1 dole organic banana 110
    16oz uncle matts organic OJ 220

Breakfast 2208 cals

1 josephs organic pita bread 80
    6 slices organic prairie roast beef 240
    2tbsp Spectrum organic mayo 200
    1 slice organic valley cheese 110
    26 Kettle organic chips 300
    1 organic blue sky soda 160

Lunch 1090 cals

8oz marys organic chicken breast 280
    4tbsp annies organic BBQ sauce 90
    2 tbsp organic valley butter 200
    4 tbsp organic valley sour cream 120
    1 natures promise organic potato 100
    1 cup eden foods organic baked beans 300

Dinner 1090 cals

total of all 3 meals 4,388

Thats if you DO NOT have any snacks inbetween meals.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Pops back out*

That's ludacris. I'm not a genetic freak and i was just recently able to eat 28 slices of pizza and 2 cinnamon rolls in an hour. 5'10" 190 lbs. Volume is not an issue.
    RejectReality_zps3ae4005b.gif
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Why did I just read this whole thread?? Oh thats right, to piss myself off! Get off the "Organic" and "Clean" band wagon
    . Watch what you eat, don't pound down ****ty food all day, exercise...then you will lose weight.

McDonalds won't kill you.....YOU WILL KILL YOU!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    People who ask for research, are the ones who poo-poo any research a person cites. Go get your own stinkin research to prove it wrong if you are so hip to the only reliable research.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Personally I found the wrap cheaply made and the sauce was overly sweet and terrible. It seems a shame to spend a $1 on probably $.25 worth of ingredients. I don't even think it was an ounce of chicken and the lettuce was wilted.

THIS.

Healthiness of the food aside, it didn't taste great all at. And it definitely didn't look like they show on TV. Mine also came with wilted lettuce and I'm not even sure the sauce made any difference to the blandness of the rest of the wrap.

Sad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you were to buy those same ingredients at the store(the wrap, ranch sauce, spring mix), they would most likely have the same ingredient list. The only thing that would be different is the chicken, depending on what cut you used.

Considering that, if you were to get it once or twice, would it kill you? No, probably not.

Even if you were to make it at home, it would be just as "processed" and "bad" for you. The only thing that would change is the amount of sodium, really.

that is blatantly untrue. there are many, many more whacked out ingredients in the McDs wrap/ranch/cheese/chicken than the foods you buy at the store. do you really want me to copy+paste the ingredients here and compare? better yet, do your own damn research.

Why so hostile?

Ranch dressing is going to have a long ingredient list, whether it's the NEWMAN'S OWN served at McDonald's or the NEWMAN'S OWN you buy at the grocery store. A tortilla is a tortilla. McDonald's magic tortilla making facility doesn't use flour made from ground up toxic waste. The ingredient list for the tortillas is the same as Mission.

And I'm pretty sure that the mixed greens aren't specially grown in polluted soils just for McDonald's. Have you ever seen a McDonald's owned farm? No because they don't exist. It wouldn't be cost effective. They buy their produce from major distributors.

The poster said the chicken is different. It's breaded and the breading and meat are loaded with sodium. Nobody is denying that.

You're so quick to hate fast food restaurants that you allow that hate and bias to cloud your judgment. I'm pretty sure you're a smart guy and recognize that bias influences rational thought.

How about this, divide up the calories in a McDonald's wrap. Compare them to the calories in the grocery store alternatives if you were to make it yourself? Are they that different? No. Why? Because they use the same things. And if you look at the long lists of ingredients in the tortilla, the dressing, etc., it will probably be the same length, with exceptions for the breaded chicken.
    Look at the post he was replying to. IT was hostile, and rude.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an advertisement for the new McDonald's Chicken Wrap on Facebook. Before that, I read a nutritional review on the product and let's just say that out of everything in the wrap, the tomato & lettuce are the only items that are just that, the chicken alone is made up of over 20 ingredients!

A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

Source for nutrition - http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/03/27/mcdonalds-mcwraps-a-nutritious-choice/

Yes and no.

Yes we need to be accountable for what we choose to eat. However, fast food restaurants also need to be accountable for what they put in their foods and what they serve.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just say no..... to McDonalds.