McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    hmmm i had one of those wraps a couple of weeks ago. I chose it because it wasnt too high in calories and seemed healthy enough. It really did a number on my stomach! The only reason i remember eating it is because i spent an hour in the bathroom that night! (tmi?)
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well said Megan. You're right - there are healthy choices.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Applebee's has a large menu of meals under 550 calories. They're a little high in sodium (like most restaurant food), but they're carefully engineered to give you a delicious. filling meal for a few calories. My favorite is the Jalapeno Lime Shrimp that clocks in at 300 calories -- including the rice.

I agree. A few other chain restaurants (IHOP, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and The 99 come to mind) have similar menu options. Makes it easy to go out to eat.

Of course, most people won't tell you that you're eating crap that tastes horrible and will kill you when you order grilled chicken at Applebee's, even though the ingredient list - which isn't available - will be pretty much identical. Go figure.

Somehow, sit-down restaurants and grocery store brands that use the same ingredients as McDonald's aren't the devil, but McD's is.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My experience withose wraps, is that they go right thru me! so I jst dont eat them! i am sure it is not real food, because how csn you still be hungry after?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: POOP!!!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    not really. he creates strawman arguments by criticizing people's food diaries. just because I ate a fast food burger yesterday (which I did) doesn't mean it's something I do regularly, and doesn't mean I thought it was a "good" option. It was just the best choice I could make in that circumstance. to criticize people for doing the same is pretty low.

Speaking of strawman arguments, I didn't actually say any of those things :laugh:

nope. you just said them about other people this time.

No, I never said any of those things about anyone.

You often directly accuse me and others of saying things we absolutely did not say in any way shape or form.

I... do you have short term memory loss?? multiple times in this thread you've gone through and looked at posters' diaries to make comments concerning their food choices and what they're saying in the thread!
    Why? Looking through your diary I see plenty of meals and items that have more calories than a grilled chicken McWrap. That pizza and dark chocolate you had a couple days ago has more than a crispy chicken McWrap.

And you had about 400 calories of chocolate mousse pie a few days ago.

Yet you say you'd "have to" get a 390-calorie item without the sauce in order to have one?

don't make me break out the Jackie Chan meme...
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Well I WAS going to have a McWrap but now after 2 comments it makes you poop I think i will opt out :laugh: I need food to stay with me as long as possible if I wanted a laxative I would take a laxative :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    not really. he creates strawman arguments by criticizing people's food diaries. just because I ate a fast food burger yesterday (which I did) doesn't mean it's something I do regularly, and doesn't mean I thought it was a "good" option. It was just the best choice I could make in that circumstance. to criticize people for doing the same is pretty low.

Speaking of strawman arguments, I didn't actually say any of those things :laugh:

nope. you just said them about other people this time.

No, I never said any of those things about anyone.

You often directly accuse me and others of saying things we absolutely did not say in any way shape or form.

I... do you have short term memory loss?? multiple times in this thread you've gone through and looked at posters' diaries to make comments concerning their food choices and what they're saying in the thread!
    Why? Looking through your diary I see plenty of meals and items that have more calories than a grilled chicken McWrap. That pizza and dark chocolate you had a couple days ago has more than a crispy chicken McWrap.

And you had about 400 calories of chocolate mousse pie a few days ago.

Yet you say you'd "have to" get a 390-calorie item without the sauce in order to have one?

don't make me break out the Jackie Chan meme...

The poster said she'd have to have it without sauce. I said there were plenty of things she's eaten that had more calories and less nutritional value, such as pie and frozen pizza.

That has nothing to do with whether she eats fast food burgers regularly or whether she considers fast food burgers a "good" option.

Those are extremely different concepts.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Well I WAS going to have a McWrap but now after 2 comments it makes you poop I think i will opt out :laugh: I need food to stay with me as long as possible if I wanted a laxative I would take a laxative :laugh:

Unless grilled chicken with a little bit of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and flour tortilla for some bizarre reason cause you to poop, I don't think you have much to worry about.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    the McWrap is a bit pricey. That's my only complaint. I prefer getting one grilled ranch snack wrap and IF I'm feeling in the mood, I'll get a snack sized oreo McFlurry. That's a damn good meal!
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Unless grilled chicken with a little bit of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and flour tortilla for some bizarre reason cause you to poop, I don't think you have much to worry about.

OMFG That makes me think of the cleanliness of those McDonalds now Ewwwwww Because you are right you shouldnt have poopin issues. Well I will eat in house for the rest of the week so I can forget the chances I take eating at the hands of someone else preparing my food! YIKES!
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sadly we have to make choices for ourselves and our families and its not easy. Im lucky enough to have a drive thru subway near me when I am on break from work i can run up and grab a sandwich or sometimes two for a couple days. My doctor told me that hes had people with symptoms of MS and other diseases only to find out the entire bulk of their illness came from articial sweeteners and artificial flavors in foods like mcdonalds.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I gotta say, I trust McDonald's when it comes to food safety more than I trust most of my friends. The controls and procedures commercial restaurants have far exceeds what goes on in random home kitchens. I've definitely never had food safety inspectors in my house.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Sadly we have to make choices for ourselves and our families and its not easy. Im lucky enough to have a drive thru subway near me when I am on break from work i can run up and grab a sandwich or sometimes two for a couple days.

What!!
    My doctor told me that hes had people with symptoms of MS and other diseases only to find out the entire bulk of their illness came from articial sweeteners and artificial flavors in foods like mcdonalds.

Sounds like bull to me. I wonder how they determined after the fact that artificial sweeteners caused MS. They would literally get a Nobel Prize for that kind of research.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

I disagree. When your GRILLED chicken has 30 ingredients, that's not equal to what I would use at home. I would use: Chicken breast, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, olive oil.
    I would reduce that list by 25 items.
    Anti-caking in the cheese is only present if you buy pre-shredded cheese, which I don't.
    I think people are getting more up-in-arms about the fact that its parading as health food, when in fact, it's not. People are often confused by nutrition, and with all the different items and campaigns and marketing, it's easy to understand why.

"Grilled Chicken Fillet: (30 ingredients): Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor,
    sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin,
    mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

I disagree. When your GRILLED chicken has 30 ingredients, that's not equal to what I would use at home. I would use: Chicken breast, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, olive oil.
    Anti-caking in the cheese is only present if you buy pre-shredded cheese, which I don't.
    I think people are getting more up-in-arms about the fact that its parading as health food, when in fact, it's not. People are often confused by nutrition, and with all the different items and campaigns and marketing, it's easy to understand why.

"Grilled Chicken Fillet: (30 ingredients): Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor,
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin,
    mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN."

The chicken doesn't have 30 ingredients. The chicken has two ingredients: chicken breast with rib meat and water.

It's the seasoning mix that has a lot of ingredients. So look at a bottle of Mrs Dash, a pouch of fajita seasoning, or a bottle of marinade. Put a little bit of that on top of your grilled chicken and suddenly your chicken has 30 ingredients too.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Since when did cajun seasoning qualify as 1 ingredient? Better research that real quick I think your ingredients list just grew
  • CoachRIDICULOUS
    Options
    Everyone is wrong in this thread. Only I know what good food tastes like.
  • kristad71
    kristad71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

The point here is that the chicken has 20+ ingredients. Chicken you buy in the store absolutely does not. My son worked at mcdonalds for almost a year eating at least one meal a day there. When he quit he went through withdrawals. His stomach and head hurt, he was craving like crazy, and when he gave in and got a mcchicken, he mysteriously felt better. After another two days symptoms came back. Took about a week for him to start feeling better. Had a friend who ate there two meals a day for three years (he's a picky eater). When he decided to loose weight he stopped eating there and went through withdrawals for two weeks. It says something about their food when they have to put sugar in their plain salad and in their french fries. They are trying to create addicts who will crave their food.
  • CoachRIDICULOUS
    Options
    :flowerforyou: because I'm like that

• jonnythan
    Options
    Here's the ingredient list for a typical bottle of Ken's marinade:

Water, Sugar, Vinegar (Distilled, Red Wine), Brown Sugar, Salt, Tomato Paste, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil), Lime Juice Concentrate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Spices, Honey, Contains 2% or Less of Modified Food Starch, Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, Garlic (Dried), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Onion (Dried), Caramel Color, Hydrolyzed Corn and Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Polysorbate 80, Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Carotenal (Color), Egg Yolk, Corn Syrup, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Tamarind.

Look at all that stuff! Holy cow. I imagine if you put a little bit of that on your grilled chicken, suddenly it has 30+ ingredients and is positively deadly, just like a McWrap!