McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

Where do I get healthy food for so cheap? $1.67 for a lb of strawberries? $2.98 for a lb of 96% ground beef... $3.95 for a gallon of 100% orange juice... really? The unsalted cashews I buy here are $15 a tub!

Low income/distressed areas will likely have food prices that low. Those are pretty much half price compared to what we get here >_>

Also that chicken breast ingredient list isn't that scary. It looks like a chicken breast + seasoning. You people don't use seasoning?

the McWrap Chicken is actually:
    Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

is the chicken itself worse than anything you get in the grocery store? no. but do you cook your chicken in trans fat liquid margarine?

They cook it on a grill that has a little bit of the liquid margarine spread on it as a nonstick coating. It's not deep fried in the stuff.

And that's the grilled one only. It ends up having less than half a gram of trans fat. Big deal.

The crispy chicken fillet does not use the liquid margarine since it's fried and not cooked on a grill. The oil they use does not contain partially hydrogenated oils:
    Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane
    added as an antifoaming agent.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Sometimes, as a coach, not even I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

OMG I've spawned my own anti-me! I'm honored that someone is wasting their time and energy to do this. That's amazing.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Mmmm, anti-foaming agent.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    McDonalds isn't very good.. We just ate their on Saturday for lunch the first time in a very long time and it tasted awful! Waste of calories. We rarely ever eat out as it is. I prefer making my own food. I agree that it is cheaper to make your own food than to go to fast food places. Anyone that thinks other wise isn't shopping right. I don't think McDonalds is killing people. I think people that eat it and crap like that on a regular basics are killing themselves. We make choices of what we put in our bodies.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Here's the ingredient list for a typical bottle of Ken's marinade:

Water, Sugar, Vinegar (Distilled, Red Wine), Brown Sugar, Salt, Tomato Paste, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil), Lime Juice Concentrate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Spices, Honey, Contains 2% or Less of Modified Food Starch, Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, Garlic (Dried), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Onion (Dried), Caramel Color, Hydrolyzed Corn and Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Polysorbate 80, Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Carotenal (Color), Egg Yolk, Corn Syrup, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Tamarind.

Look at all that stuff! Holy cow. I imagine if you put a little bit of that on your grilled chicken, suddenly it has 30+ ingredients and is positively deadly, just like a McWrap!

still no added trans fats like your McWrap.

No trans fat in the grilled McWrap and a whopping .5g in the fried.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Here's the ingredient list for a typical bottle of Ken's marinade:

Water, Sugar, Vinegar (Distilled, Red Wine), Brown Sugar, Salt, Tomato Paste, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil), Lime Juice Concentrate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Spices, Honey, Contains 2% or Less of Modified Food Starch, Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, Garlic (Dried), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Onion (Dried), Caramel Color, Hydrolyzed Corn and Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Polysorbate 80, Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Carotenal (Color), Egg Yolk, Corn Syrup, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Tamarind.

Look at all that stuff! Holy cow. I imagine if you put a little bit of that on your grilled chicken, suddenly it has 30+ ingredients and is positively deadly, just like a McWrap!

still no added trans fats like your McWrap.

No trans fat in the grilled McWrap and a whopping .5g in the fried.

awww see here's the thing. 0g doesn't mean ZERO.

it means less than .5g

if there are partially hydrogenated fats in the ingredients, then the food contains trans fat.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later when I have no life.

Oh, who am I kidding. *starts reading thread*
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, anti-foaming agent.
    Not to mention the canola, corn and soy oils all have trans fats in them from the deodorizing process from refining.
  • CoachRIDICULOUS
    Options

Sometimes, as a coach, not even I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

OMG I've spawned my own anti-me! I'm honored that someone is wasting their time and energy to do this. That's amazing.

Stupidity spreads at alarming speeds. It's like a bubonic plague.

DID YOU KNOW THAT The bacteria that cause plague (Yersinia pestis) are found throughout certain parts of the world, most commonly in rats, but occasionally in other wild animals, such as prairie dogs. Transmission of bubonic plague from these infected animals generally occurs in one of four ways:

Inhaling infected droplets
    Direct contact with infected tissue or bodily fluids
    Bites from infected fleas.
    Or spreading FALSE information on the INTERWEBS.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    lambchoplewis, you're shopping at the wrong stores. I have conveniently found a way to cut my grocery bill in half without using coupons. My husband and I used to spend over $140 per WEEK on groceries. I started planning our menus around the ads for the grocery stores and making sure that we were focused on wholly cooked meal and little processed food. Even with meat in the mix, our grocery bills are typically under $70 per week now. I also make sure that if I am going to Walmart I check other ads for things that are cheaper than at Walmart and make them ad match. I watch Hispanic market ads for my town and go to those stores. For example, at Walmart yesterday I would have paid $19.92+tax for 4 pineapples ($2.98 each) and 8 avocados ($1 each). Instead I went to a local Hispanic market and picked up the same items for $5.94+tax.

I know that you also said that you have a gaggle of kids, but this is the issue in America, right? I grew up in a family with a Mom who was a restaurant manager and then a food services manager, and a Dad who was in the military and gone all the time. So I was raised on fast food. And it's been a terrible habit to break. But in all honesty, if you put in a little bit of effort cooking at home with healthy ingredients is way way cheaper than eating fast food. And better for you, too. Plus I usually get several days of leftovers out of my meals as well. I am, of course, serving only myself and my husband, but he eats as much as 4 kids.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Oh no, less than half a gram of trans fat in my dinner! Gods be good.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

This is accurate - first realize you are paying for 4 meals from bk - that will be good no longer than it takes the air to hit the buns & get stale. The healthy food has several servings of multiple items.

This makes me echo the above comment of someone who said Americans are fat b/c they choose to be (in most cases) & brings me to another point - serving size / moderation matters - many americans could loose weight (even while eating out) if they would split a meal - b/c 9x outta 10, the fast food or resturant meal is [at least] dbl the serving size. or if they simply chose NOT to eat out everyday. i am all for healthy eating (fresher = btr, imo) BUT i'm not going to say i don't eat out. i just don't care to "supersize" my waistline, so i don't supersize my meal. i think the obesity of america can be summed up in the character issues we have developed & as a result passed down to our children; laziness & no self control. plain & simple.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Well I WAS going to have a McWrap but now after 2 comments it makes you poop I think i will opt out :laugh: I need food to stay with me as long as possible if I wanted a laxative I would take a laxative :laugh:

seriously. I usually have an iron stomach but that night- omg i thought it might be my last
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Personal responsibility has to come into play at some point, unless you want the gov't holding your hand and controlling every single move we make...People have a choice to eat or not eat there. You would have to be living under a rock to believe that the food is good for you or even healthy, calories are printed on the menu board and you can ask for a nutrient hand out (at my store they are one the back of the tray liners as well)

But on a side note where can you find lean hamburger for under 3$...I'm lucky when I find it for around 4.50
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately advertising and marketing is a great big con, they tell you things are good natural healthy diet when in midst cases if you look further into it its not quite true, people get sucked in by ads particularly if they are convenient or suit the person, I'm sure we have all been there. The key is to increase awareness do people truly know what they are consuming. Now in the UK most supermarkets are lifting the ban on gm meat and what the animals are being fed on without having to advertise it. Its a scary thought! If we can't access this information it puts us in a worse position!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Where do I get healthy food for so cheap? $1.67 for a lb of strawberries? $2.98 for a lb of 96% ground beef... $3.95 for a gallon of 100% orange juice... really? The unsalted cashews I buy here are $15 a tub!

Low income/distressed areas will likely have food prices that low. Those are pretty much half price compared to what we get here >_>

Also that chicken breast ingredient list isn't that scary. It looks like a chicken breast + seasoning. You people don't use seasoning?

the McWrap Chicken is actually:
    Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

is the chicken itself worse than anything you get in the grocery store? no. but do you cook your chicken in trans fat liquid margarine?

They cook it on a grill that has a little bit of the liquid margarine spread on it as a nonstick coating. It's not deep fried in the stuff.

And that's the grilled one only. It ends up having less than half a gram of trans fat. Big deal.

The crispy chicken fillet does not use the liquid margarine since it's fried and not cooked on a grill. The oil they use does not contain partially hydrogenated oils:
    Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane
    added as an antifoaming agent.

Actually I worked at McDonalds and unless they changed things.............when we made the grilled chicken we had a specific tool that you set the chicken on the grill and this tool sat around it. You season it and cover it and poor water into the little cup on the top of the lid. Never added any sprays or butter. When cleaning the grills we didnt use chemicals we used vinegar at nights and water throughout the day unless it really needed a vinegar cleaning.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    needs-more-cowbell.jpg
  • pontiacblk
    Options
    the sodium is ridiculous in this wrap! 20 ingredients for chicken ??? sounds like something i dont want in my body. this is the way they kill people and make money doing it. the people pay to be unhealthy
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Actually I worked at McDonalds and unless they changed things.............when we made the grilled chicken we had a specific tool that you set the chicken on the grill and this tool sat around it. You season it and cover it and poor water into the little cup on the top of the lid. Never added any sprays or butter. When cleaning the grills we didnt use chemicals we used vinegar at nights and water throughout the day unless it really needed a vinegar cleaning.

Sounds deadly.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    the sodium is ridiculous in this wrap! 20 ingredients for chicken ??? sounds like something i dont want in my body. this is the way they kill people and make money doing it. the people pay to be unhealthy

Too bad your diary is closed. I could no doubt easily pick items you've eaten in the past few days that have way more ingredients.