McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an advertisement for the new McDonald's Chicken Wrap on Facebook. Before that, I read a nutritional review on the product and let's just say that out of everything in the wrap, the tomato & lettuce are the only items that are just that, the chicken alone is made up of over 20 ingredients!

A friend on FB "liked" the promo picture and someone commented "You're killing people with this food!" and it made me think: Is McDonald's and similar restaurants really killing people when it's our choice to eat there or not?

Source for nutrition - http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/03/27/mcdonalds-mcwraps-a-nutritious-choice/

When you brine your chicken, what do you put in it?

what do YOU put in it? brining liquid should not have 20 ingredients.
    It can, but that's not the point.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've had I think 7 McWraps in the past two weeks.

They are delicious and there is absolutely nothing in the world wrong with them. Last night I had a grilled chicken & bacon at 430 calories. The other day I had a crispy chicken & ranch at about 590 calories. They all fit into my macros for the day.

Yum!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    There are enough people on these very forums who all but promote this kind of garbage. It is NOT good for your body. I don't care what the "a calorie is a calorie" crowd says.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Looked up the calories and nutritional content. The only way to eat the McWrap is grilled, w/out any sauce and extra lettuce and tomatoes (I always add pickles!!).

How do you count the calories after making the exchanges?

McDonald's has a really fantastic Meal Builder online that lets you completely customize any menu item. Gives you the full nutrition info for pretty much anything.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you were to buy those same ingredients at the store(the wrap, ranch sauce, spring mix), they would most likely have the same ingredient list. The only thing that would be different is the chicken, depending on what cut you used.

Considering that, if you were to get it once or twice, would it kill you? No, probably not.

Even if you were to make it at home, it would be just as "processed" and "bad" for you. The only thing that would change is the amount of sodium, really.

that is blatantly untrue. there are many, many more whacked out ingredients in the McDs wrap/ranch/cheese/chicken than the foods you buy at the store. do you really want me to copy+paste the ingredients here and compare? better yet, do your own damn research.

Why so hostile?

Ranch dressing is going to have a long ingredient list, whether it's the NEWMAN'S OWN served at McDonald's or the NEWMAN'S OWN you buy at the grocery store. A tortilla is a tortilla. McDonald's magic tortilla making facility doesn't use flour made from ground up toxic waste. The ingredient list for the tortillas is the same as Mission.

And I'm pretty sure that the mixed greens aren't specially grown in polluted soils just for McDonald's. Have you ever seen a McDonald's owned farm? No because they don't exist. It wouldn't be cost effective. They buy their produce from major distributors.

The poster said the chicken is different. It's breaded and the breading and meat are loaded with sodium. Nobody is denying that.

You're so quick to hate fast food restaurants that you allow that hate and bias to cloud your judgment. I'm pretty sure you're a smart guy and recognize that bias influences rational thought.

How about this, divide up the calories in a McDonald's wrap. Compare them to the calories in the grocery store alternatives if you were to make it yourself? Are they that different? No. Why? Because they use the same things. And if you look at the long lists of ingredients in the tortilla, the dressing, etc., it will probably be the same length, with exceptions for the breaded chicken.
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumbler and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

I think I'll take my chances with McDonald's or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to becirculating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Of course McDonalds McCrap is killing you. It's all high-calorie processed food. But you try to tell people this and they label you a conspiracy nut. It's frustrating but whatever.

So is the coconut oil you eat, is that killing you?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I wonder how many people even know what's in a McWrap/

The chicken & ranch McWrap has:

A regular tortilla, the same kind you get from the grocery
    A lettuce mixture, the same kind you get from the grocery
    Cucumbers (fresh, unprocessed, etc)
    Tomatoes (fresh, unprocessed, etc)
    A chicken patty (whole meat chicken breast, either grilled or breaded and fried)
    Ranch sauce (the same kind you get from the grocery)
    Shredded cheese (the same kind you get from the grocery)

This is pretty much 100% identical to what a normal human being would construct at home and consider healthy. But when it's from McDonald's people will throw a fit and call it "McCrap." Then there are people like Reddy who would call the one constructed at home crap, too. Most people aren't exactly on board with that level of food alarmism.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Oh. lord. More alarmist bull****--and spectacularly bad arithmetic as well. Ignoring the fact that many of the ingredients are exactly what you'd reach for if you were making something like this from scratch at home (herbs, spices, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, etc.), the same items are counted separately every single time they show up--so 9 of the 121 ingredients, for example, are "salt." The wrap uses both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, so basic cheese ingredients are counted twice--and McDonald's isn't doing anything weird to the cheese: the same mold-inhibitors and anti-caking ingredients are present in the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Sure, ideally, we'd all be eating organic, locally-sourced, unprocessed foods so fresh that they don't need preservatives to be shipped around the country. We'd be making tortillas from scratch and distilling our own vinegar so we could control every step of our food production. But in truth, most of us don't. And most of these ingredients are in our pantries at home, so getting up in arms when seeing them in a fast-food wrap seems silly.

This is not specifically directed to the person I quoted just on the same topic

Not sure if everyone opened the link, but there were alot of products in the ingredients list that are not normal products you would use at home. The article bolded the bad things in each ingredient, in the chicken, ranch, and so forth. Hydrogenated oils are not good for you. I don't understand why chicken has an ingredient list of 30 things, I know when I make chicken, even breaded chicken, the most is about 5 to 6 ingredients, including breadcrumbs, spices and oil used.

quoted from article -
    All told – 121 ingredients, including trans fats, chemicals on the FDA’s toxicity watchlist, and more

I know for myself I don't want to be eating stuff that has chemicals on the FDA's toxicity list. I don't think this is alarmist at all, this is gaining knowledge to understand better what you are putting in your mouth. I know a lot of people think that just because the government says this and this is safe doesn't mean it is. These things are not meant to be in the body and when you consume them in larger quantities can cause real damage down the road. It is always "it isn't harmful in moderation" - how is it moderation when more and more of this crap is in a lot of food people eat, even on a daily basis. Then it is no longer being consumed in moderation.

To each his own on what everyone chooses to eat but gaining knowledge to make better choices is a good thing, even if it means bashing McDonalds lol
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh good, another fast food is out to get ya post . . . I think that means it's time to go get some sun and hit the pool. :yawn:
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumbler and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

I think I'll take my chances with McDonald's or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to circulating.

Do you live by a 99 Cents super store? My boyfriend and I purchased enough perfectly good groceries ( veggies, bread, cheese, eggs, milk, fruits; meats were purchased elsewhere) to feed four people for a little less than a month for less than forty dollars. I've only ever seen these stores in the western part of the country but you could check other dollar store types. The selections are quite basic but if you wanted more selection, use the savings to buy other options elsewhere.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I'll do it... fine....

Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

Flour Tortilla: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Shortening (Interesterified Soybean Oil and/or Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Soybean Oil and/or Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil), Contains 2% or Less of: Sugar, Leavening (May Contain One or More of: Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Wheat Gluten, Dough Conditioners (Sodium Metabisulfite [Contains Sulfites], Distilled Monoglycerides).

CheeseCheddar cheese [pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto (color)], Monterey Jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), potato starch and corn starch and powdered cellulose (prevent caking), dextrose, enzymes, natamycin (natural mold inhibitor).

Ranch Sauce: Soybean Oil, Cultured Buttermilk, Water, Sour Cream (Milk, Cream, Modified Food Starch, Guar Gum, Sodium Phosphates, Carob Bean Gum, Sodium Citrate, Calcium Sulfate, Carrageenan, Dextrose, Potassium Sorbate, Enzymes), Egg Yolks, Contains 2% or Less: Distilled Vinegar, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Modified Food Starch, Soy Sauce (Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Dried Onion, Garlic Powder, Lactic Acid, Natural Flavor (Vegetable Source), Shallots, Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Xanthan Gum, Spice, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Acid Sulfate, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    stupid people....
    stupid country...

Ugh. Why don't you go say that to the first responders up in Boston? Jerk.

We may not always get it right, but this is a great country with great people. If you don't like it, leave.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to becirculating.

If you read my initial post I actually did price all this up as closely as I possibly could- I picked the cheapest items to make up to the closest in weight I could - some things were a little larger or smaller due to metric/imperial measures, but overall it was very even. I also used multiple smaller packets where that worked out cheaper. We can't buy anything by the gallon!

I was convinced this list was bogus, that's why I did it. This was using UK supermarket Tesco prices and it was all more expensive because we pay far more to import and far more tax than the US, but relative to each other, it worked out exactly the same results.

I look forward to seeing your list.
    Options

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to circulating.

Do you live by a 99 Cents super store? My boyfriend and I purchased enough perfectly good groceries ( veggies, bread, cheese, eggs, milk, fruits; meats were purchased elsewhere) to feed four people for a little less than a month for less than forty dollars. I've only ever seen these stores in the western part of the country but you could check other dollar store types. The selections are quite basic but if you wanted more selection, use the savings to buy other options elsewhere.
    sorry, but a 99 cent bag of woody broccoli stems is just not something my family will eat. But the point is, this picture is not about shopping at some bottom of the barrel store. It is supposed to be a comparison between fast food and fresh food. The comparison how ever is terrible. The meal you would make from the grocery food is wacky. They should fix this if they want to make a real point.
    Options

Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

Flour Tortilla: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Shortening (Interesterified Soybean Oil and/or Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Soybean Oil and/or Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil), Contains 2% or Less of: Sugar, Leavening (May Contain One or More of: Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Wheat Gluten, Dough Conditioners (Sodium Metabisulfite [Contains Sulfites], Distilled Monoglycerides).

CheeseCheddar cheese [pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto (color)], Monterey Jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), potato starch and corn starch and powdered cellulose (prevent caking), dextrose, enzymes, natamycin (natural mold inhibitor).

Ranch Sauce: Soybean Oil, Cultured Buttermilk, Water, Sour Cream (Milk, Cream, Modified Food Starch, Guar Gum, Sodium Phosphates, Carob Bean Gum, Sodium Citrate, Calcium Sulfate, Carrageenan, Dextrose, Potassium Sorbate, Enzymes), Egg Yolks, Contains 2% or Less: Distilled Vinegar, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Modified Food Starch, Soy Sauce (Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Dried Onion, Garlic Powder, Lactic Acid, Natural Flavor (Vegetable Source), Shallots, Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Xanthan Gum, Spice, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Acid Sulfate, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract.

Ya know, if we made our own chicken wrap, this would look differently. You can alswo make your own tortillas, (it isn't hard) and the ingredients list would have only 4 items in the list.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

sorry, but a 99 cent bag of woody broccoli stems is just not something my family will eat. But the point is, this picture is not about shopping at some bottom of the barrel store. It is supposed to be a comparison between fast food and fresh food. The comparison how ever is terrible. The meal you would make from the grocery food is wacky. They should fix this if they want to make a real point.

inflation. the fast food prices are higher now too.

the comparison is still an accurate one.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ya know, if we made our own chicken wrap, this would look differently. You can alswo make your own tortillas, (it isn't hard) and the ingredients list would have only 4 items in the list.

If you bought Mission tortillas, Kraft shredded cheese, and Kraft Ranch Dressing, and used some Mrs Dash to season the chicken, it would actually look almost identical.

And if I did that, and posted about it, no one would call it inedible crap or say I was killing myself.
  • paisleytevir
    paisleytevir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Right on.... There is no way McDonalds is killing anybody... They buy the same chicken breast we buy at the store. Do you think they have a specific supplier that grows and processes unhealthy chickens just for them???????

It's more the preservatives and the sodium, everything is premade as with many restaurant chains. So it's more how it's prepared, when you have a burger that looks the same years later, it isn't healthy!

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/the-zombie-fast-food-hamburger
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much 100% identical to what a normal human being would construct at home and consider healthy.
    I believe your serious.