McDonalds McWrap

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If someone looked at the last few days of my diary, most people would say that the meal I had at McDonald's last night was definitely worse than the homemade burritos I had on Friday night.

Of course, the homemade burritos were probably "worse". More sodium, more calories, just as many if not more ingredients people don't know how to pronounce, more trans fat.

Bottom line is that the McWrap is pretty much 100% identical to what you'd construct at home using typical ingredients no one demonizes, like bagged shredded cheese and flour tortillas.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    coach reddy.........youre annoying
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I'll do it... fine....

Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

Flour Tortilla: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Shortening (Interesterified Soybean Oil and/or Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Soybean Oil and/or Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil), Contains 2% or Less of: Sugar, Leavening (May Contain One or More of: Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Wheat Gluten, Dough Conditioners (Sodium Metabisulfite [Contains Sulfites], Distilled Monoglycerides).

CheeseCheddar cheese [pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto (color)], Monterey Jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), potato starch and corn starch and powdered cellulose (prevent caking), dextrose, enzymes, natamycin (natural mold inhibitor).

Ranch Sauce: Soybean Oil, Cultured Buttermilk, Water, Sour Cream (Milk, Cream, Modified Food Starch, Guar Gum, Sodium Phosphates, Carob Bean Gum, Sodium Citrate, Calcium Sulfate, Carrageenan, Dextrose, Potassium Sorbate, Enzymes), Egg Yolks, Contains 2% or Less: Distilled Vinegar, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Modified Food Starch, Soy Sauce (Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Dried Onion, Garlic Powder, Lactic Acid, Natural Flavor (Vegetable Source), Shallots, Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Xanthan Gum, Spice, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Acid Sulfate, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract.

Ya know, if we made our own chicken wrap, this would look differently. You can alswo make your own tortillas, (it isn't hard) and the ingredients list would have only 4 items in the list.

If you bought Mission tortillas, Kraft shredded cheese, and Kraft Ranch Dressing, and used some Mrs Dash to season the chicken, it would actually look almost identical.

And if I did that, and posted about it, no one would call it inedible crap or say I was killing myself.

yes they would. absolutely they would.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    coach reddy.........youre annoying

proud of it. :laugh:
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    sorry, but a 99 cent bag of woody broccoli stems is just not something my family will eat. But the point is, this picture is not about shopping at some bottom of the barrel store. It is supposed to be a comparison between fast food and fresh food. The comparison how ever is terrible. The meal you would make from the grocery food is wacky. They should fix this if they want to make a real point.

Huh? You could have burgers without the buns (veggie or beef, your choice) with chunky potato wedges, brocolli on the side with a glass of OJ. Looks like a perfect meal to me. Then you still have strawberries for dessert,maybe chop them up with a little teaspoon of something sweet on top, and cashews to snack on.

I'll admit, I have no idea what one would do with pinto beans. They're not really a scottish staple!! But I could choose broad beans, kidney beans, chickpeas or lentils for the about same price and they'd be very handy in my kitchen.

:)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumbler and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

I think I'll take my chances with McDonald's or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to circulating.

Do you live by a 99 Cents super store? My boyfriend and I purchased enough perfectly good groceries ( veggies, bread, cheese, eggs, milk, fruits; meats were purchased elsewhere) to feed four people for a little less than a month for less than forty dollars. I've only ever seen these stores in the western part of the country but you could check other dollar store types. The selections are quite basic but if you wanted more selection, use the savings to buy other options elsewhere.
    sorry, but a 99 cent bag of woody broccoli stems is just not something my family will eat. But the point is, this picture is not about shopping at some bottom of the barrel store. It is supposed to be a comparison between fast food and fresh food. The comparison how ever is terrible. The meal you would make from the grocery food is wacky. They should fix this if they want to make a real point.

We bought 99 Cents store groceries when we were visiting my family in Cali and back here in Louisiana, we buy groceries from a locally sourced grocery store and my boyfriend couldn't tell the difference when everything was cooked. Heck, you can go to Target or Walmart and get some well priced groceries. Even if you want to argue that cheap groceries don't taste as good as pricier ones, they're still healthier foods at a low cost and the main point was cost wasn't it? People are arguing that eating junky fast food is cheaper than having nutritive foods and that argument in invalid since, as many have pointed out, you can get lots of groceries for cheap if you look.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    :sick: Those wraps r grrrosss. U can taste the artificialmishmash
    Of whatever crap is in there!
  • jonnythan
    Options

I looked through the last couple of weeks of your diary and didn't see a McWrap in there.

Did I miss it?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    So we all know that fast food isn't exactly the best choice that a person could make.

We all know that it's crappy and bad for you.

We all have a CHOICE as to whether or not we want to eat there. Do I eat at fast food restaurants? Yes. Probably about once a year. Do I know that the burger and fries I'm shoveling into my face isn't the "healthiest" for me? Yup. Do I enjoy it? Hell yeah. I also realize when I go to a non fast food restaurant that the burger I'm eating isn't the best or healthiest for me either but am I going to come on to a message board and post about the evils of fast food, how bad it is for you and how stupid people are for eating it? No. Because it's your choice as to whether or not you want to eat that food.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of fast food is cheaper per calorie, but since we don't generally want that many calories anyway it's a false economy.

I saw these images going around tumbler and I was super skeptical because some of their veg and meat seemed really cheap. So I actually sat and went through all the calculations using the UK supermarket Tesco. Right enough, the UK food was more expensive- but so was the burger king. I worked out this meal at something around £22 for the BK and £19 for the Tesco shopping (sadly I don't have the picture on this computer to show you!). Only difference is it was frozen minced beef- not the best quality- because I really had no idea what that sausage-looking package of beef was like. But you could spend that £3 difference on better beef and you're still eating a lot healthier for the money.

tumblr_m1qiwvLwgP1rsif13o1_500.jpg

I think I'll take my chances with McDonald's or BK ground beef before I eat that concoction fake burger crap.

Those prices are not realistic. On fact, maybe when I come home from the store later I will post the real prices on my own stores shelves. I wish someone would update that picture if it is going to circulating.

Do you live by a 99 Cents super store? My boyfriend and I purchased enough perfectly good groceries ( veggies, bread, cheese, eggs, milk, fruits; meats were purchased elsewhere) to feed four people for a little less than a month for less than forty dollars. I've only ever seen these stores in the western part of the country but you could check other dollar store types. The selections are quite basic but if you wanted more selection, use the savings to buy other options elsewhere.

We bought 99 Cents store groceries when we were visiting my family in Cali and back here in Louisiana, we buy groceries from a locally sourced grocery store and my boyfriend couldn't tell the difference when everything was cooked. Heck, you can go to Target or Walmart and get some well priced groceries. Even if you want to argue that cheap groceries don't taste as good as pricier ones, they're still healthier foods at a low cost and the main point was cost wasn't it? People are arguing that eating junky fast food is cheaper than having nutritive foods and that argument in invalid since, as many have pointed out, you can get lots of groceries for cheap if you look.
    Since when did I ever ask for shopping tips? I did not. I shop just fine for my family. The point I made and the point you miss is, the prices listed here are not what you actually pay anywhere. Who understands that? Oh never mind....... carry on!
  • jonnythan
    Options

You would, yes. I'm talking about regular people, who don't irrationally believe that store-bought flour tortillas and shredded cheese are going to kill people.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You would, yes. I'm talking about regular people, who don't irrationally believe that store-bought flour tortillas and shredded cheese are going to kill people.

lol regular people in america are fatties
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Since when did I ever ask for shopping tips? I did not. I shop just fine for my family. The point I made and the point you miss is, the prices listed here are not what you actually pay anywhere. Who understands that? Oh never mind....... carry on!

Yes but what you're missing is the BK is ALSO MORE EXPENSIVE
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    So we all know that fast food isn't exactly the best choice that a person could make.

We all have a CHOICE as to whether or not we want to eat there. Do I eat at fast food restaurants? Yes. Probably about once a year. Do I know that the burger and fries I'm shoveling into my face isn't the "healthiest" for me? Yup. Do I enjoy it? Hell yeah. I also realize when I go to a non fast food restaurant that the burger I'm eating isn't the best or healthiest for me either but am I going to come on to a message board and post about the evils of fast food, how bad it is for you and how stupid people are for eating it? No. Because it's your choice as to whether or not you want to eat that food.

jonnythan doesn't. he HONESTLY believes it's good for you. blows my mind.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

So how do you propose I make my chicken wrap? From scratch? Slaughter the chickens, process the grains for my tortilla. Make the cheese? Would that make it "healthier"?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Yes but the BK is ALSO MORE EXPENSIVE
    YES. So you see, back to what I was saying, I wish they would edit that to reflect the actual price you would pay.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I haven't had fast food since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in Oct '12. Well, aside from the occasional McDolands Fries. lol
    Since my diagnosis, I have also made a conscious decision not to get it as much as I used to for my kids. The more I learn about quick, healthier alternatives, the less I buy the stuff. Most times when we are in a hurry, I would rather them eat a quick bowl of cereal before we are out the door than to grab McDonalds.

I will be honest and say we used to eat out, which includes fast food, take out and sit down meals...at least 4 times a week. I would like to make it even less...but right now we are at about 1 time a week.

It is a choice. I don't blame these restaurants...if people knew better, they would choose better, and if they don't care then well, these fast food places are a business and they see a need. Shame on them for not making better quality food. I am not saying they need to serve healthy foods, but better quality would be nice. But it is my choice not to eat there.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yeah, no McWrap, but I did see stuff from Subway and Friendly's and Ruby Tuesday. Also saw Egg Beaters, Yoplait yogurt, Baskin Robbins ice cream, various frozen foods, sugary granola bars, etc.

1000+ calories from a chain restaurant? Absolutely fine! A grilled chicken patty from McDonald's? CRAP!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

So how do you propose I make my chicken wrap? From scratch? Slaughter the chickens, process the grains for my tortilla. Make the cheese? Would that make it "healthier"?

haha please see the ingredient list i posted. is there NO way to make that list smaller? no brands of tortillas with fewer ingredients? no chicken that doesn't come with partially hydrogenated soybean oil? no cheese that doesn't come with potato starch in it?

come on.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

jonnythan doesn't. he HONESTLY believes it's good for you. blows my mind.

I think his point is that it's pretty much the lesser of two evils and based on what the ingredients are it isn't that bad. He also pointed out that you can make your own, which you thought was crap, right?