How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
I usually pay for dates until we are officially dating. But I have friends who split down the middle from the first date. Then I met women who wanted to pay half from get-go cuz they thought otherwise they'd owe me something. How about you?

Replies

• Mavrick7a
    Mavrick7a Posts: 1,353
    Options
    Didn't you post this question before?
  • NormInv
    Options
    I did? Dont recall.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    lol, okaaay. OP I think you have a stalker:) jk. I've always thought that whoever is the asker should pay for the date. If there are any subsequent dates then you should each switch off. You pay-I pay-You pay-I pay....
  • Einahhh
    Einahhh Posts: 139
    Options
    A guy shouldn't feel obligated to pay for any dates (unless maybe he's the instigator of the first date). Of course, offering is polite, but he shouldn't feel like there's a certain quota he needs to fill before they split the bill.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Whoever invites pays? all depends on the gal.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Guy should always pay for the first date. Imo
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    i love these types of discussions.
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Guy should pay fr the initial few dates (4-5) n then may be split or let the girl pay.. Lets nt forget bout chivalry :)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I always expect the guy to pay if he does the asking. If I offer to pay, or make the date then I would expect to pay. I think it also depends on who can afford to pay. If your date is not as financially well off as you, then it would seem appropriate that you split the tab, or let the person more financially stable do the paying.

Curious - OP do you not like paying on a date?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The first 500 or so.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I always expect the guy to pay if he does the asking. If I offer to pay, or make the date then I would expect to pay. I think it also depends on who can afford to pay. If your date is not as financially well off as you, then it would seem appropriate that you split the tab, or let the person more financially stable do the paying.

Curious - OP do you not like paying on a date?

I do. I insist even if they offer.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether she is wearing a bra.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    All of them. DH and I have been together for 10 years and I have never once had to pay.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Gender does not apply. If you ask a person out, bring your wallet. If a person asks you out, offer to pay your share. If you find yourself keeping score, you're probably not enjoying the person's company enough to continue.

It should work for couples much the same as it does among friends.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    LOL I am an old fashioned old lady so I say PAY FOR THEM ALL.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    After a few dates then she should at least offer to pay. If she does not then kick her to the curb.
  • MRATL70
    MRATL70 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All of them.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The person who offers pays. Maybe if you get into a Friday night date night thing then you can alternate weeks. Or just have her come over and watch a movie (it's cheaper). :)
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Whoever does the asking should pay for the first date (the guy if he asks her, the girl if she asks him). After the first date it's whatever's best for the couple. With one of my BF's we always liked to go to the movies and whoever picked the movie paid - we alternated turns picking a movie. With another, if we went to the movies, he usually got the tickets, I got the snacks and if we went out after we split it down the middle (unless it wasn't a fair split like if he ordered a three course dinner with 2 beers and I had an appetizer with water - then he was nice and paid his share).
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I agree, whoever does the asking should pay.