How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Whomever asks should pay, however the other party should always offer to pay half.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    None. She should pay her own way and be thankfull of my company.

33141513.png
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on a date in 23 years. I like how it was when I was dating. The man asked the woman out and he paid. I guess I am old fashioned, but that's how it was in my dating days and if I were to end up on the dating scene again, that's how I would expect it to be.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I never pay.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Only the ones that I'm at least 80 percent sure she's going to put out.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you invite her, go ahead and factor you +1 for paying, if she invites you, then it is not expected, but as a gentleman, if she offers you can allow her to pay for her part, or if she wants to pay let her, but if not, just go ahead and pay for it. Some woman feel pressured that they owe you something if you pay all the time, so make sure she knows you don't feel obligated to pay, that you are doing it just because you like her, and like I said if she offers to pay sometimes let her, there is nothing wrong with that. And if she never offers to pay, you might want to figure out what her gold digging intentions are.. HAHA
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    Who cares? It's going to be different depending on the date and the situation. If anyone feels obligated to pay, that's just...weird, IMHO.

My husband paid for our first date, which was really sweet and thoughtful...but nobody should go into a date without money (barring real money issues, but that's beside the point) because it's pretty damn pretentious to think that the other person should have to pay for you.

Hell, even being married, it just depends on who has the most money in the wallet at the particular time as to who pays. I wouldn't allow him to go broke on me before we got married, but it was a nice gesture when he could and did pay.

But every situation and every person is going to be different. Communication is this really awesome thing that human beings do. You should not be afraid to ask your date what they prefer instead of a forum full of people you will never be in the same room with.

This.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    None. Bond together by stealing everything not nailed down!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I believe whoever invited the other person on a date is the one who pays. That's always been my policy with dating or just going out to dinner with friends. Unless splitting the bill is discussed up front. I assume I will be paying if I asked the person out, and vice versa.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    After a few dates then she should at least offer to pay. If she does not then kick her to the curb.

This. Too many women want to, to use a cliched phrase, have their cake and eat it too. You can't say you want to be a modern woman who doesn't subscribe to traditional gender norms/roles then flip flop on that point and say, "oh but the man should always pay," just so you have more money to shop. You get a few freebies ladies then you need to start chipping in. There's a word for a woman who you need to pay for her time. Look it up.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Guy should always pay...unless they've decided that they aren't dating and just hanging out as friends.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    None. Bond together by stealing everything not nailed down!

woohoo! even take the ketchup, you can never have too much ketchup.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    My hubby took the bill for dinner and most dates when we first started dating (rather, when we both had full time jobs and were dating...before that/when we were in college, I made dinners or bought something cheap like pizza...he got the bill for one date when we first started dating. College kids don't have much extra.)

When we first started really dating, he payed for dinner a lot...but after a month or so I helped as well...either he got dinner and I payed for drinks (which can also be expensive), or we'd take turns. Even now that we're married, we take turns paying...or he will get dinner and I will pay for bowling...movie...whatever we do on the date.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Ha, 38 years later, he is still paying.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think it's usually up to the guy- but the partner should offer (and be actually prepared) to pay.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    the last guy I dated is old fashioned, as I am and would never have let me pay for anything. Still, to this day, we are friends and won't let me pay when we go out together.

ETA: I would offer to cook dinners every few times, so he wasn't always shelling out for dinners, since I can't afford it. I'd say that's a pretty even trade.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    My husband paid for all our dates. I didn't demand that he do so, he just preferred it that way I guess. Actually this is the case with all the guys I dated but maybe that's because I always happened to date old world guys, not the locally born and bred Canadians. I don't know how I'd feel about paying to be honest. I'd think he wasn't that interested.
  • Nerdphiliac
    Nerdphiliac Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I paid for all his meals... From start till finish.
    I guess chivalry is dead after all.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm from a different generation, or maybe I just like geezers, but I've never had a guy be okay with me paying for a date that wasn't something spectacular that I pre-booked (like a weekend away at a resort for a surprise, special birthday event, or the honeymoon).
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    guy pays all the time no questions asked
    unless I want to pay not because its expected.