How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's one 'right' answer for every couple. However, in my situation I've never paid for a date with my boyfriend, and we're going on 13 years. He's very chivalrous and would feel offended if I tried to pay. He says it makes him feel good to be able to care for and provide things to the people in his life he cares about.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    guy pays all the time no questions asked
    unless I want to pay not because its expected.

Yeah, pretty much this. If I asked you out, then I'm volunteering to pay. If you asked me, then you volunteered to pay. Simples.
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    My sister has possibly the best story of a first date...

The guy was punching above his weight anyways, but my sister agreed to go out with him. He took her to McDonalds, paid for his own meal and left her whilst he sat down with his meal and tucked in. Then at the end of this ordeal he asked her to walk herself home as he had to meet the lads for football practice... I know what your thinking "They must have been about 15 at the time...." Oh no... the man was 32!!!

Basically, it depends on the man. I like to go half as I always pick STEAKS! If the guy insists no then I will offer to get us a round in. But if a man took me to McDonalds on a first date, he would be paying through his teeth for every meal for the rest of his natural born life :-)
  • paleojamie
    paleojamie Posts: 191
    Options
    Pay for the 1st date - but most girls I've seen don't like a guy that is a pushover.

You should pay half and half, surely that's the fairest way!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

The guy was punching above his weight anyways, but my sister agreed to go out with him. He took her to McDonalds, paid for his own meal and left her whilst he sat down with his meal and tucked in. Then at the end of this ordeal he asked her to walk herself home as he had to meet the lads for football practice... I know what your thinking "They must have been about 15 at the time...." Oh no... the man was 32!!!

Basically, it depends on the man. I like to go half as I always pick STEAKS! If the guy insists no then I will offer to get us a round in. But if a man took me to McDonalds on a first date, he would be paying through his teeth for every meal for the rest of his natural born life :-)

Wait! If it was you, you'd give him a second date then?
  • FitnessCharl
    Options

Just to lock him in so I can punish him for the rest of his life....:-)
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The gentleman should pay.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Well that answers the question.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

What if it's two men? How do you determine who is gentler?
  • TylerJ76
    Options

What if it's two men? How do you determine who is gentler?

I already know you're paying..
    & you're Canadian, so you won't argue..
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

LOL I meant to say, The gentleman should always pay.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Just to lock him in so I can punish him for the rest of his life....:-)

I have some guys in my FL you should meet then . . .
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm old fashioned, so-- all of them... My boyfriend complains that I always expect him to pay, and it offends me... I'm the girl, and as my sister says "girls don't pay for dates"...
  • chrisvinci
    Options
    The guy should always take the bill and pay. Then when the woman really likes the guy she can offer to pay.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I'm old fashioned, so-- all of them... My boyfriend complains that I always expect him to pay, and it offends me... I'm the girl, and as my sister says "girls don't pay for dates"...

So you will never pay for a meal between you and him...EVER?
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    LOL I am an old fashioned old lady so I say PAY FOR THEM ALL.

^^^^^THIS!! I'm also of the "older" generation and I never paid for a date even if I did do the asking.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    guy pays all the time no questions asked
    unless I want to pay not because its expected.
    This is about where it's at for me. I date men who are usually around 10 years older than I am, so they tend to come from the generation where they pay without question. It's never even been a discussion with anyone I've dated ever. I also date men who make significantly more money than I do, so it has been awkward on the few times I've offered to pay.
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm an old married fart ... (since 1989) ... and I paid for all the dates from #1 on, and still pay. (We still have 'date-night' once a week.)

... and I feel blessed to be able to do so.

But that's the view of an old married fart, as I said. That being said, if my sons didn't always offer to pay, and I found out about it, I'd smack 'em upside the head. XD

I always tell my younger son he needs to get a job so he can pay for all the dates he goes on with his girlfriend. He really shocked me when he told me she pays for a lot of their dates. I told him that it wasn't right. I guess it's just what kids do nowadays! I don't like it, but hey, if it works for them. I too have been married since 1989. I never paid for a date before we were married, but I'm the one who has the credit card when we go out now (and he can't read the bill anyways~~he always forgets his glasses), so now I "pay" out of our joint account!
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always tell my younger son he needs to get a job so he can pay for all the dates he goes on with his girlfriend. He really shocked me when he told me she pays for a lot of their dates. I told him that it wasn't right. I guess it's just what kids do nowadays! I don't like it, but hey, if it works for them. I too have been married since 1989. I never paid for a date before we were married, but I'm the one who has the credit card when we go out now (and he can't read the bill anyways~~he always forgets his glasses), so now I "pay" out of our joint account!

I've drilled this into my teenage son's head so well that he even pays for his female friends' meals and similar things, even though they're just friends and not dating. And he opens doors, pulls out seats, rises when a girl gets up from the table, walks on the side of traffic when they're walking on a sidewalk..... (I'm a proud mama! :) )
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My SO bought my drinks that night and for dinner and the movies the next night. After that I realized he'd go broke if I kept letting him do that lol. I don't think guys SHOULD pay, but to be honest, unless you discuss it before the date, a girl will be expecting him to.