How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'd say first date for sure and then I'm ok to split from there. It is really nice to be taken out for dinner though - I've only been on a few dates in my lifetime where the guy paid.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is one of those guys who is weird about me paying ever, but he also pays more of the bills and tends to buy more of the house things, and we make about the same salary, so I like to try to give back sometimes. I prefer a 50/50 split, so I'm pulling my own weight. But he really hates to let me pay at a restaurant, so I let him, unless I know he's putting it on his cc because he's overdrafted or something, then and only then will I argue.

I usually just find something else to pay for, like groceries.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Until she puts out.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Half of all of them.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I'm old fashioned, so-- all of them... My boyfriend complains that I always expect him to pay, and it offends me... I'm the girl, and as my sister says "girls don't pay for dates"...

So you will never pay for a meal between you and him...EVER?

I don't, BUT I am more than happy to cook dinner for the guy I'm dating. Is that fair?
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Call me old fashioned...

Guy should pay most of the time. Every now and again if she offers, let her pay.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    All of them.....

Men open doors, the pull our chairs, they pay for dates

Yep. And women make us sammiches and bring us beers. Works perfectly

Exactly

Ha! I agree. It's a win-win. ;)
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'd always offer to pay for myself, or half the bill for whatever it was that we decided to do for the evening.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The person who invites should do the paying.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Al of them. And pay in cash, guys, so your wife doesn't find out when the Visa bill arrives.

LOL
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    All of them. DH and I have been together for 10 years and I have never once had to pay.

This. (Though in my case it's 12 years and he still pays)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    When we were dating, my husband paid for all the dates. Of course, I was 19 and paying for college and he was 27 and had a good job.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Guys should pay for a first date. Just looks wrong - gives a bad first impression to the girl. Our minds wander off into stability and security land. You have to remember girl's are kind of "interviewing" on the first date. If you're asking us to pay, we are under the assumption that we will be handing out money all the time. No bueno.

After the first date, I think you can take turns paying or pay separate.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Until she puts out.

Winner!

If you're going on expensive dates before having sex, you're doing it all wrong.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    All of them.....

Men open doors, the pull our chairs, they pay for dates

So women do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and do everything having to do with child care then correct?
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always tell my younger son he needs to get a job so he can pay for all the dates he goes on with his girlfriend. He really shocked me when he told me she pays for a lot of their dates. I told him that it wasn't right. I guess it's just what kids do nowadays! I don't like it, but hey, if it works for them. I too have been married since 1989. I never paid for a date before we were married, but I'm the one who has the credit card when we go out now (and he can't read the bill anyways~~he always forgets his glasses), so now I "pay" out of our joint account!

I've drilled this into my teenage son's head so well that he even pays for his female friends' meals and similar things, even though they're just friends and not dating. And he opens doors, pulls out seats, rises when a girl gets up from the table, walks on the side of traffic when they're walking on a sidewalk..... (I'm a proud mama! :) )

I would be too! My sons will open doors, pay for meals and hopefully I have taught them to walk on the traffic side of the sidewalk. I never really thought of the rises when a girl gets up from the table.....now to drill that into their heads! Thanks for reminding me of that!
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I offer to pay on the first date, but its something that I expect the guy to do. I have no problem buying my boyfriend dinner, if he'll allow me. He usually does dinner and I pick up dessert (usually ice cream afterwards). We've also been together for years, so it may be different for a couple just starting out.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    In general I think the guy should pay. That being said I recently offered to pay for dinner because we had done a lot recently (a concert, eating out, movies, etc) and I felt bad because he always pays. He was massively offended. He said that he appreciated the gesture but that I shouldn't offer again. It helps when you're like minded.
  • kylaenslow
    kylaenslow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i have no problem offering to pay but i truly feel the guy should always pay. for me its part of the whole 'guy taking care of his girl' thing. but i was raised with good 'old-fashioned' values....and i wouldn't change that for anything!!! :smile:
  • EmmettBrown
    Options
    A lot of girls ***** about unfair gender equality in all different situations, but free meals because you're a girl you expect?
    And why does the guy need to prove more that he's worth of a partner? Shouldn't it be in both interest to do that?
    If a guy needs to pay to prove he's worthy, do a girl need to blow him to show that she is?
    It doesn't make any sense all all tbh

imo it's the right thing to do for the guy to pay for the first date if he have had a pleasant time. But the girl should not count on it and if she does not offer it on the first date its a must to offer it on the second date.