How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south. Men pay for dates. Men pay in any social situation where they are out with a woman even if it's only friends getting together.

I never considered that it might be a southern thing. My male friends always paid when we went places as well. I just always thought is was normal.

Me too. I have never even thought of this as a question. It is just ingrained in our culture.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south. Men pay for dates. Men pay in any social situation where they are out with a woman even if it's only friends getting together.

I never considered that it might be a southern thing. My male friends always paid when we went places as well. I just always thought is was normal.

Its offensive and sexist! Either women are equals or they are not. I think they are.

Generally speaking my friends and I will randomly offer to pay for meals.drinks etc. and it works out more or less evenly. Generally if we know someone in the group is less well off we make sure its their 'turn' when the smaller bills come round. Doesn't matter whether that's a girl or a guy.

That said - in a relationship (rather than a first date) at some point you start to think as a couple rather than two individuals - you both bring different things to the table and if one of your earns more generally they are going to pay for more. When I started dating my wife she was at university and I was working so naturally I picked up most of the bills.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Part of dating is proving your worth as a partner, a provider.

I'm assuming the women do that with oral, yes?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays for the majority of the dates and a lady never chooses the most expensive items on the menu. She tries to stay in the same price range as his order and does not order dessert unless he does.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A lot of bitter men on here lol!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Obviously a lot of people have different philosophies, and, really, however you want to do it is fine by me. There isn't a universal answer here.

But I have read more than a few woman say that they like to make a move for their wallet to test the guy to see if they will stop her. And I think that's an unfair test. As you can see, there are women who want to pay, there are women who want to split, and there are women who want the man to pay. How is he supposed to know it's a test and if he lets you pay, he will be downgraded and judged - when he may be trying to let you know he respects your wish to pay (even though you don't really wish to pay, you are just pretending like you wish to pay)?

I can see how this can be confusing. It's hard on this end too. Personally, I think it's nice for a guy to pick up the tab on a first date and I'd be impressed. On the other hand, I certainly would hate to give off the impression that I assume this is going to happen. So, I always offer to pay half. If he says no, great! If he accepts, that's ok but I'd be a little disappointed and I might question why he didn't pay (not outright to him, just to myself). If I know that there is no chance of a second date, I will insist on paying half.

What really pisses me off though is if a guy starts ordering expensive things and a lot of drinks and then wants to split it. If you are ordering high priced items off the menu and you expect to go dutch, you owe it to the other person to check in on budget.

Tell me if I have it now -

You offer to pay and he accepts and then he doesn't get a second date because he complied with what he thought you wanted, because you said you wanted to even though you didn't want to.

Like I said, a lot of people have different ways of doing things. I was just pointing out something that seems perplexing.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    l17vs4fqa6-t.jpg

I'll pay for the first 4 dates.. it's 50/50 after that.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Obviously a lot of people have different philosophies, and, really, however you want to do it is fine by me. There isn't a universal answer here.

But I have read more than a few woman say that they like to make a move for their wallet to test the guy to see if they will stop her. And I think that's an unfair test. As you can see, there are women who want to pay, there are women who want to split, and there are women who want the man to pay. How is he supposed to know it's a test and if he lets you pay, he will be downgraded and judged - when he may be trying to let you know he respects your wish to pay (even though you don't really wish to pay, you are just pretending like you wish to pay)?

I can see how this can be confusing. It's hard on this end too. Personally, I think it's nice for a guy to pick up the tab on a first date and I'd be impressed. On the other hand, I certainly would hate to give off the impression that I assume this is going to happen. So, I always offer to pay half. If he says no, great! If he accepts, that's ok but I'd be a little disappointed and I might question why he didn't pay (not outright to him, just to myself). If I know that there is no chance of a second date, I will insist on paying half.

What really pisses me off though is if a guy starts ordering expensive things and a lot of drinks and then wants to split it. If you are ordering high priced items off the menu and you expect to go dutch, you owe it to the other person to check in on budget.

You offer to pay and he accepts and then he doesn't get a second date because he complied with what he thought you wanted, because you said you wanted to even though you didn't want to.

Like I said, a lot of people have different ways of doing things. I was just pointing out something that seems perplexing.

I didn't say he wouldn't get a second date, I said that it would make me want to know what his thought process was on that. To be honest, I've pretty much supported all social activities in my last three relationships. I don't want to do it anymore. I want a partnership and a little bit of chivalry. This is just one way to assess what may happen down the road.

Honestly, if you really like a girl, why wouldn't you pay? That's a totally fair question.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If a guy asks you out, and he pays, I say that's just fine. but I don't think there should be a limit or number of dates he pays for. If he insists on paying all the time, well hey....but still I would think if its a little expensive, or he's paid a couple times already I would say, next ones on me. but that's just me. I wouldn't mind paying here and there either... after all who wants the gold digger rep. and Id like him to know I got his back...I mean its just common courtesy I would think. besides... women can be ballers too you know.. I like to show off a little as well. lol
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I didn't say he wouldn't get a second date, I said that it would make me want to know what his thought process was on that. To be honest, I've pretty much supported all social activities in my last three relationships. I don't want to do it anymore. I want a partnership and a little bit of chivalry. This is just one way to assess what may happen down the road.

Honestly, if you really like a girl, why wouldn't you pay? That's a totally fair question.
    Honestly, if you really like a guy, why wouldn't you pay? That's also a totally fair question in our time.
  • Kevintron2
    Kevintron2 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wholly crap...call me ole' fashioned! If a man ask a woman out on a date and she accepts, he should cheerfully pay, and be thrilled to have her company..
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Honestly, if you really like a guy, why wouldn't you pay? That's also a totally fair question in our time.

I would and I have. But, at the same time, I'd like to date a guy who is a little old fashioned and is happy to take his girl out for dinner because it's romantic. That's a trait I admire and it's a trait I'm looking for in a partner.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

I apologize - you said you'd be disappointed, and wouldn't ask him about it directly -and I took that to mean that a second date was not forthcoming.

and for the record, I think I have paid for pretty much everything for all of the girls/women I have ever dated and ultimately married.

but to answer your question - if i like someone, i'd want to let her know that i respect her. and if i respect her, and respect her wish to pay then i would think that was a good thing. but in some cases, it's not. it's a test. a ruse. a shenannigan! (can there be only one shenannigan?)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The guy pays if he asked you- if a girl asks the guy then its her turn. This is easy.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Wholly crap...call me ole' fashioned! If a man ask a woman out on a date and she accepts, he should cheerfully pay, and be thrilled to have her company..
    THIS! I am boggled by the complexity!
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I apologize - you said you'd be disappointed, and wouldn't ask him about it directly -and I took that to mean that a second date was not forthcoming.

and for the record, I think I have paid for pretty much everything for all of the girls/women I have ever dated and ultimately married.

but to answer your question - if i like someone, i'd want to let her know that i respect her. and if i respect her, and respect her wish to pay then i would think that was a good thing. but in some cases, it's not. it's a test. a ruse. a shenannigan! (can there be only one shenannigan?)

No worries! I totally agree it's confusing. For me too. Some guys might get offended if I offer to pay. Some guys may appreciate it. Some guys may expect it. I'd just want to eventually know the thought process (it would come up) because I don't want to date a guy who would never pay based on principle/bitterness or because he doesn't see the value in treating a girl to a nice night out solely for the reason that it's a sweet, romantic thing to do.

But, yeah, it's a total minefield! And I'm not sure how to get around it. So, :drinker:
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    All of them.....

Men open doors, the pull our chairs, they pay for dates

So women do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and do everything having to do with child care then correct?

When SO supported me fully and I was jobless I got up at 4am, cooked a full breakfast from scratch... Went back to Bed usually
    I would cook him a good meal for lunch and take it to him and then he would have supper hot and on the table when he got home...
    All his clothes starched and ironed and ready for the next day... House cleaned ect

Even after I got a job out of boredom I still did all of that except his lunch

Child care is different.. The kid needs daddy attention to
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think I prefer 'the reach' approach from her.

Also, I read some poor student lived her way through college on food she got on dates.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    all of them. *waits to be hit with tons of feminist bullsh!t*

lol I won't hit you.

My father was a very classy man, he told me when a man asked me out on date, when we ordered from the menu to always note the price of what my date had chosen and to order something of even or lesser value. I've always done that.

My husband paid for all dates except for the few I decided to treat him to because I wanted to show him a nice time too. Not all dates have to be expensive to be fun.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'd always offer to pay for myself, or half the bill for whatever it was that we decided to do for the evening.

Cool.

The stuff I like to do on dates doesn't cost money.