Am I the only one who is repulsed by fast food?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I like fast food in moderation - once a week tops, unless you count subway.

Most of the time, all other aspects aside, it's not worth the calorie count. I find a hunk of lean protein plus piles of low calorie density veg satisfies me for longer.

But that's just me. I'm not arrogant enough to say that anyone that disagrees with my stance on fast food is obviously wrong/crazy.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I never used to be...but after reading about proccessed food.... and all that I am...and I hate the thought of my kids eating it GAG!
  • stunmai2
    stunmai2 Posts: 5
    Options
    No fast food for me, it also makes me feel "funny" after I eat it. I do have cravings from time to time and when I do actually get a burger from MD, I not only can't eat it but its just really nasty.....
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like a bit of it, I think fried zucchini from carls jr. is pretty yummy but I don't want any of the mcd's, burger king, etc. though. I worked at a dairy queen as a teenager and I basically stopped eating it then, except on a rare occasion. I do like some fast food here in the UK, but it's sandwiches and soups and things that are fast but not fried.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You lucky ducky!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed when I was 17 (genetic reasons) and so my kidneys do double duty.

I like the taste of fast food on occasion, but my body just can not process the grease and I end up sick (throwing up and in a lot of pain) every time I do consume it.

so no I am not repulsed by it, but I am repulsed by how it makes me feel.

so I do not eat it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I like it occasionally. I'd much rather spend the calories on sit down restaurants though.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I guess if it makes you physically ill then it's normal to be repulsed.
  • jrknotts
    jrknotts Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like In-N-Out, but they are definitely a cut above all other fast food burgers.

I do like Taco Bueno and Del Taco, but I only really eat the tacos there now.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's disgusting. Yet I can't stop eating it.

This... honestly, watching Supersize Me just made me want chicken nuggets and fries. To this day, even though I realize how bad it is for me and don't even really enjoy the taste that much, there is something inside me that craves this kind of crappy food.

And it's not just "fast food", it includes greasy diner fare, chili cheese dogs served off a cart, pizza, gyros, and other such food atrocities. It must be part of the human DNA to want something that looks awful, but smells good and tastes good enough to fool ourselves into not realizing that it not only doesn't really satisfy us, but it actually makes us feel terrible immediately afterward.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm repulsed by the taste of rabbit. Rabbits are fast.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    It's disgusting. Yet I can't stop eating it.

This... honestly, watching Supersize Me just made me want chicken nuggets and fries. To this day, even though I realize how bad it is for me and don't even really enjoy the taste that much, there is something inside me that craves this kind of crappy food.

And it's not just "fast food", it includes greasy diner fare, chili cheese dogs served off a cart, pizza, gyros, and other such food atrocities. It must be part of the human DNA to want something that looks awful, but smells good and tastes good enough to fool ourselves into not realizing that it not only doesn't really satisfy us, but it actually makes us feel terrible immediately afterward.

Now I want to go to NYC just for the food carts. :P

Our food trucks here are all organic. Which I LOVE. Seriously, I swear the best food comes from carts and trucks, be it healthy or otherwise!
  • mdorsett221
    mdorsett221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It always sounds like a good idea.... until i SMELL it.... YUCK! It's like the smell of cigarrettes to an ex-smoker... Yuck again!
    Anyone who still eats fast food needs to read the book, "Fast Food Nation". It will make you think twice.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at self deception. That's what it would take for me to be repulsed by fast food. Sigh.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Pretty much. I never had much of a taste for it (except for Wendy's chicken nuggets) to begin with, but the combination of over 3 years living in a country with none of the usual American fast food suspects (except KFC, but it was far away) and reading some food books (Michael Pollan's stuff and Fast Food Nation) have just killed any lingering interest I had in it. I have ZERO problem driving past the 3 McDonald's restaurants between my house and my gym.

I did have Wendy's chicken nuggets the other day and they were disappointing. My sister says they changed the way they cook them. Sad, but also good - cause now that I know they don't taste as good as they used to, they're off the list as well!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like them. I rarely have them, but I have no issues with them. Everything in moderation.
  • marileefpage
    marileefpage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I live in a very rural area of Maine and when I travel to town I end up there most of the day finishing errands. I try hard to hit the grocery store for a salad or something if I'm hungry but occassionally find myself falling into the drive thru trap! It always ends the same way. I feel ill (like a fat kid who ate too much pie after thanksgiving dinner) and the salty processed taste is horrible!

I don't know why I do it to myself. I guess I just need a reminder of how horrible it is every six months or so.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I eat it, but as I cook more and get better at it I find I want a home cooked meal more than a soggy burger. I am enjoying quality more now instead of quantity.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Not repulsed by it, but certainly no longer desiring it and have stopped bringing it home on those nights when there was no time to cook. I made time to cook instead. The only exception to the craving is 5 Guys. I LOVE their cajun fries drowned in malt vinegar and ketchup.

Wendy's I haven't been able to eat at since working there 20'ish years ago. KFC's chicken has always messed with my digestive system. And Taco Bell has become that place that we go to every 6 months, then remember why we don't eat there anymore.

I only buy lunch during a workday about once a month as a treat, but it's usually Extreme Pita or Subway.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't prefer fast food, but I don't generally think it's the disgusting either. (Maybe Subway - they're usually kind of gross). However, I personally find all buffet restaurants, to be vile and repulsive. All the people touching the food & serving utensils, the big vats of food sitting out, nasty things like chocolate fountains... blech!