What is your TRUE reasons for wanting to get in shape?

Options

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    because i spend my working life looking at broken, worn out bodies and it makes me appreciate how sodding lucky i am to be able to eat an apple and pick up a weihgt. it's hard to wallow in self pity over wobbly bits and muscle ache when you're spoon feeding mush into the mouth of a person who is condemned to be a living plank by some cruel, degenerative disease. reality check.

and my kid sister has PCKD. i need to keep both my kidneys, all my organs, my whole body, in good shape just in case she ends up deteriorating the way my mother has.
    ...my mother ain't getting one! she might be slipping towards terminal but my sister has three young children.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to kick *kitten*, even if the person whose *kitten* I'm kicking is imaginary.
  • elove89
    elove89 Posts: 33
    Options
    Feel Good... and Look Good........... :-)
  • SarahJonasson
    SarahJonasson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have two main reasons, okay, no three. One, I want to be able to control my PCOS better. Two, I'm sick of looking pregnant (was actually asked when I was due when I was 17 and going for an ultrasound to diagnose the PCOS). Three, I'd like to be healthy and stop having people look at me like I'm going to steal all their food. Its not like I chose this. But I'm confident I can lose it.
  • mikelund
    mikelund Posts: 10
    Options
    I want to get rid of my 'moon face' and get the face I had 8 years ago!!
  • pamla77
    pamla77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hate being the center of attention, so my main motivation is to not stand out in a crowd, especially while in a swimsuit!! I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin. I have 2 teenagers, and I want to be a good role model and pass on some good habits. BEING IN CONTROL OF SOMETHING in my own life is an awesome feeling, will power to say no to yummy but toxic foods feels good.

I have a long wait to become a grandma, and I intend to be the coolest grammy out there who doesn't miss a beat with the grandbabes!! I look at it like every good choice for my health will give me more time with people i love.

I want to be healthy enough to take care of aging parents or any other loved one that may need me. I owe them that much.

... I don't want my kids to take on the burden of caring for me in my old age because of my bad health choices. I owe them that much.

Genetics. heart disease, diabetes.. and all things related run in my family. I see family members suffering and know that it could have been better managed if they had taken better care of their health all along.

Feeling good about myself keeps me on track. knowing I am worth the effort, along with all the reasons above. Its a fight worth fighting!

Good topic!! :) thanks for posting!
  • ralphy101
    ralphy101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    * Looking good on the beach.
    * Health and well being
    * Concentration at work

:)
  • amymaytay
    amymaytay Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Tired of feeling like crap!! want to feel good again....and the fact that when i look at pictures of myself and look in the mirror, i look like im pregnant!!! my son will be 2 in august, sooo should not look like i am carrying another baby!
  • msfinewine
    Options
    I want to look and feel good....simple...I'm getting married soon and I want to be the most beautiful bride EVERRRRRRRRR lol
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Well, I would say to live a longer life and be healthy, but if you want the TRUE reason:

I have this bad habit. I get half a bottle of Jack in me and I'm losing clothes like two horny teenagers on prom night. So I figure if I'm going to continue to drink and run around naked like I do, the next time I get arrested it would be a huge compliment if I heard the cops say "Dude..you work out?" :-)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Before it was for looks but with that reason, I never stuck to the commitment, I had this attitude everyday of "ah can't be bothered exercising, I feel like having something fattening to eat, stuff it, I'll start again tomorrow" - but now I have been diagnosed with prediabetes, I have FINALLY made a serious commitment to lifetime change. No more diets! Just healthy eating and exercise.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1. Id like to be able to shop for clothes more easily . I think Im a size 14 right now. IIts so hard to find jeans that fit right. Id like to be back down to a size 8.

2. I really really want to build muscle. I really want to be strong. I have a lot of fitness goals Id like to achieve in addition to just losing weight. :)
  • Amoo4231
    Amoo4231 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well....I want to be healthy and feel comfortable in my clothes.. But a more important reason in my head (as silly as this sounds)....Just became single after dating someone for multiple years and realized I have to work to get back into "dating shape" so I look the way I want to look when I meet someone new.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Health is # 1 for me. Looking good is nice too, but I'm in my 50's. Cardiovascular health, bone density, muscle mass, flexibility, balance. These are my reasons.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I mainly just want to like what I see in the mirror. I tell myself that I want to avoid the health problems in my family, but when you boil it down to the core reason, I want 2 things.

1. To like what I see

2. To have people envious of what they see

Of course health, flexibility, and confidence don't hurt either. ;)

I can't agree with this more as my goals. I want to be able to do what I call the "Alpha Male Strut & Swagger" and wear my "show-off" t-shirts. The strength would be great, but having had lumbar and serious rotator cuff surgery I don't know how much of my strength and size I will get back. I don't care about washboard abs, I want to look athletic and fit, and be fit.
  • Momowink
    Momowink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Summer. And not being the biggest of my friends (should some of my friends decide to start slimming down too!)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I've said many times. Functional and athletic fitness gains.
  • nmensen18
    nmensen18 Posts: 39
    Options
    Plain and simple - I want to enjoy life without my weight or self esteem issues holding me back. I want to wear a bikini and look GOOD! :)
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Health. I hate the side effects of blood pressure meds, the constant acid reflux, the sleep apnea, and the increased asthma symptoms. I'm pre-diabetic and the thought that I'm headed for diabetes scares the crap out of me! I'm motivated by seeing those blood panel numbers improve, and by how I feel every day. I think my husband deserves to have me around as long as possible! (Maybe that's vanity?) :happy:
  • heathermae81
    Options
    Obviously I want to be healthy and not be in danger of having health problems. But, I will be honest and say that a lot of people say I am very pretty...or I have a pretty face. I want the body to match the face.