Milk

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just try not to drink milk.
    Me too. Its not good for our bodies. I still can't understand why we drink another animals milk. Cows don't drink cows milk once they are weaned. The whole thing boggles my mind. Good marketing dairy industry. But I ain't buying the narrative milk does a body good. I'd rather get my calcium etc from other sources.

What boggles my mind is that human beings have been on the planet drinking milk for roughly 7,500 years yet every single time a milk thread pops up somebody says "I can't believe we humans drink milk." It's been 7,500 years. How are you still surprised by this?

Also if the cows let her, my dog would totally be sucking a little tit right now to get some milk.

do you mean we've been drinking cows milk for 7,500 years (asking just for clarification, I'm no anthropologist)? the poster above you specified the oddity of drinking another mammal's milk, not our mothers.

Domestication of dairy animals, and consumption of their milk, dates back at least 8,000 years.

(edit: domestification? Really, Jon?)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Me too. Its not good for our bodies. I still can't understand why we drink another animals milk. Cows don't drink cows milk once they are weaned. The whole thing boggles my mind. Good marketing dairy industry. But I ain't buying the narrative milk does a body good. I'd rather get my calcium etc from other sources.

What boggles my mind is that human beings have been on the planet drinking milk for roughly 7,500 years yet every single time a milk thread pops up somebody says "I can't believe we humans drink milk." It's been 7,500 years. How are you still surprised by this?

Also if the cows let her, my dog would totally be sucking a little tit right now to get some milk.

do you mean we've been drinking cows milk for 7,500 years (asking just for clarification, I'm no anthropologist)? the poster above you specified the oddity of drinking another mammal's milk, not our mothers.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090827202513.htm
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

WOW.....A great source of vitamins that your body needs that tastes great (to most) has calories and is filling......yes terrible, horrible, and we should all just take a supplement to replace it. You need vitamin D to absorb calcium. You need at least 1000mg of calcium a day. I cup of milk has around 300mg of calcium compared to an orange that has around 60mg. The orange is not fortified with vitamin D. Soy milk and fish are close to that amount of calcium per serving but unless they are fortified you will have to find the vitamin D elsewhere to take full advantage of the calcium.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

Humans were not designed to drink cows milk, baby cows were.

I'd drink almond milk, but I can't find that dang nipple! Tiny little buggers. Makes me wonder how the baby almonds do it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

Humans were not designed to drink almond milk, baby almonds were?? Both statements sound equally uninformed and kinda dumb, no?

Drink what you want but spare the sketchy logic.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I usually take my milk in cultured form (yogurt, farmer's cheese, etc.) because I am a member of the intelligentsia. And then it is anywhere from fat-free to whole, depending on my calorie needs for the day.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Yes. I meant cow's milk specifically. I'm no anthropologist as well but I'm sure we've been drinking our mother's milk for longer. :wink:
  • mmapags
    Options

And what about goat's milk and sheep's milk that are used extensively in some parts of the world? Why is this milk subject always one that brings out such warped logic about it not being good for our bodies in some.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Why cows milk? Is there a reason you think you need this? Have you looked at the grams of SUGAR in skim, 1% and 2% milk? It is so processed and full of sugar thats its not healthy to even drink it. Coconut milk has much less sugar, a little more fat, and even more calcium! Almond milk has much less sugar and less fat. I like the taste of coconut milk over almond milk. If you want real dairy, even though its not necessary for your health, opt for cottage cheese or nonfat plain greek yogurt. Milk is bad!!

not sure if serious or trolling.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The one time people ignore my dumb *kitten*. I'll rehash.

Anti Milk Side: We weren't "designed" to drink milk! (Correct, since human beings back 10s of thousands of years ago lost the enzyme required to digest milk as they aged, and 70% of people worldwide still lose that enzyme as they age)

Pro Milk Side: Who cares? We've been doing it for thousands of years. (True. American and European people have EVOLVED to be able to process milk properly. Lactase-persistence is found in 90% of European descended peoples)

If you're white, you can probably drink milk with zero problems, so go for it.

If you're not, you have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance, so it's more likely to cause you problems.

The. End.
  • mmapags
    Options
    100% Almond.

I'd drink almond milk, but I can't find that dang nipple! Tiny little buggers. Makes me wonder how the baby almonds do it.

:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It is so processed and full of sugar thats its not healthy to even drink it.

• iAMsmiling
    Options
    Edited because I'm stupid.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    I usually take my milk in cultured form (yogurt, farmer's cheese, etc.) because I am a member of the intelligentsia. And then it is anywhere from fat-free to whole, depending on my calorie needs for the day.

:laugh: It's the milk that helped you get that membership I just know it! Do you see what happens when you dont drink it? You get no membership! :laugh:
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

I beg to differ. :devil:
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was raised on skim so I can't drink anything but it. My kids were raised on it as well. Skim has the same amt of calcium as Vit D milk.
  • mmapags
    Options

Anti Milk Side: We weren't "designed" to drink milk! (Correct, since human beings back 10s of thousands of years ago lost the enzyme required to digest milk as they aged, and 70% of people worldwide still lose that enzyme as they age)

Pro Milk Side: Who cares? We've been doing it for thousands of years. (True. American and European people have EVOLVED to be able to process milk properly. Lactase-persistence is found in 90% of European descended peoples)

If you're not, you have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance, so it's more likely to cause you problems.

The. End.

What about if your middle eastern and drink goat and sheep milk along with laban, yogurt, kefir and other fermented milk drinks. These milks have less lactose and are more easily digestible. People in this part of the world have been using this as a healthy part of their diet for all of recorded history. It's only in western culture where this whole milk thing is debated and the debate centers around cows milk. Kind of myopic.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I vote whole milk!

UMlZzIZ.jpg
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

The. End.

WTF lol I am probably one of the darkest in here ATM and I drink milk easily. No issues, Never had any. Noone in my family or extended family have issues either. We are all dark.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    2 PERCENT BUT I HATE MILK AND DONT DRINK IT
    AND YOU ARE DRINKING CALORIES