Milk

Options

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    People didn't drink milk until the early 1900's when refrigeration became available.

No, they drank milk before then, it was just freshly squeezed.

It wasn't available to the masses I should have said.
    Given that most of "the masses" were rural before the industrial revolution (see the first link I posted, above, among others), that's an interesting claim. Source for your information, please?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Im confused about something.. All of you who say we shouldnt drink another animals milk.. Are you saying then that you would drink the milk from a lactating human? o_O

I tried my sister's breast milk when she was breastfeeding. But then I'm a freak like that, I'll try anything once.

It was too sweet and watery for my taste. I prefer 2% or whole cow's milk.
  • pghlulu
    pghlulu Posts: 42
    Options
    I used to drink 2% since I preferred the taste...but then I discovered plain almond milk, which is the nectar of the gods....and that's what I drink now. :)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I like 1% the most. Tastes much better than skim, but not as strong as 2%. By far, my favourite.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    wanna know something really cool? aged cheeses like parmeggiano reggiano are lactose free. so you can skip the "dairy" and still have cheese and cultured milk products like kefir

dunno. thought that was neat since I've been dairy free for about a year and a half. I've recently begun re-incorporating these naturally lactose-free dairy foods
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    DONT DRINK IT!! Milk and all dairy products are not all that good for you. I found that dairy was the main contributor to insulin resistance and inflamation that I had. Once I eliminated dairy I felt much better and my joints all felt awesome. I had such bad inflamation that I didnt even know it, I had grown so accustomed to it that I thought it was normal. Within 3 days of giving up dairy I noticed a signifcant improvement. I also always had ringing in the ears and that went away too.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    wanna know something really cool? aged cheeses like parmeggiano reggiano are lactose free. so you can skip the "dairy" and still have cheese and cultured milk products like kefir

dunno. thought that was neat since I've been dairy free for about a year and a half. I've recently begun re-incorporating these naturally lactose-free dairy foods

screw that

i would rather go for some fresh mozzarela
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I usually take my milk in cultured form (yogurt, farmer's cheese, etc.) because I am a member of the intelligentsia. And then it is anywhere from fat-free to whole, depending on my calorie needs for the day.

:laugh: It's the milk that helped you get that membership I just know it! Do you see what happens when you dont drink it? You get no membership! :laugh:

I am a card-carrying member of the Cowmilkist Party, too.
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Been consuming organic 2%, mostly for the extra CLA for the last 5 yrs or so switching to organic goat milk periodically. Preference should be the key reason imo. Not a fan of 0 fat, nor would I serve it to anyone because of the milk powders used for taste and viscosity,

FYI: CLA is a trans fat, and all trans fats are bad for you
    Hi! I normally drink almond milk as I only use it for cereal, but my kids have one small glass of milk each day. Sorry to sound stupid, but what is CLA?
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Cheddar is beddar :laugh:
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond milk is really good, I don't really like to drink actual cow's milk, but cheese is divine.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't touch the stuff, I drink rice milk, almond milk and a little soy milk, all organic for me.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    DONT DRINK IT!! Milk and all dairy products are not all that good for you. I found that dairy was the main contributor to insulin resistance and inflamation that I had. Once I eliminated dairy I felt much better and my joints all felt awesome. I had such bad inflamation that I didnt even know it, I had grown so accustomed to it that I thought it was normal. Within 3 days of giving up dairy I noticed a signifcant improvement. I also always had ringing in the ears and that went away too.

you also said you were 300 pounds in the past
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Whichever one fits your macros. For me, Almond/Coconut blend. YUM!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    1.5% local farm dairy milk delivered straight to my door step every Tuesday morning! I'm allergic to nuts so I've never tried almond milk. I do like organic unsweetened vanilla non-GMO soy milk also.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Whichever one fits your macros. For me, Almond/Coconut blend. YUM!

Now that sounds good!
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Growing up we usually had 2%. Sometimes, if my mom went on a diet she would by skim milk for herself and keep buying 2% for the rest of us. Eventually she just started buying 1% for all of us so she didn't have to get two different kinds of milk. We really didn't go through milk very fast so it didn't make sense to have 2 opened gallons. When I left for college I went back to 2%. When I got married I discovered my hubby grew up on Whole Milk. I still bought 2%, but every once in while would get whole since he likes it. When our first kid turned one, the doctor told us to give him whole milk for the fat content so we switched to whole milk. I honestly can't tell the difference in flavor between 2% and whole milk so if my kids didn't need the fat from the whole milk (seriously, my 2 1/2 year old doesn't weigh 30 lbs yet and can still wear 18 month clothes) I would switch to 2% since it's cheaper.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    edited: my post posted twice
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    2%. I can't afford to be buying organic, especially, when the "organic" is questionable. So f**k it, I just buy the generic milk with all the bull**** extras, now. All our food is officially contaminated one way or another, so I give in and just eat whatever I want. So far, so good.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    2%. I can't afford to be buying organic, especially, when the "organic" is questionable. So f**k it, I just buy the generic milk with all the bull**** extras, now. All our food is officially contaminated one way or another, so I give in and just eat whatever I want. So far, so good.

find a local farmer and it probably wont be that pricey. organic eggs are like $5 a dozen. I found them locally for 2.50 a dozen from a farmer.

I recently switched to organic stuff, and for 2 weeks worth of groceries I think I spent another 40 dollars than usual.
    Not a big inconvenience, and if I can eat a bit healthier and support companies that do things correctly, its worth it to me.