Milk

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk when I realized I was drinking the secretions of an animal outside of my own species. It got a little weird then.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk. Dark almond milk mixed with coconut milk is incredibly good.

Are you a vegetarian? If not, is it weirder drinking their nutritive secretions, or cutting them up into little pieces and eating their insides?

Nope, not a vegetarian. I prefer them for their higher nutritive values, and the fact that I'm not drinking something that was designed for calves to drink. No animal but human drinks milk from another species. It just seems weird to me.

That's just plan nonsense and not true. Dogs, cats and most other mammals will drink the milk of another species if it is made available. Drink what you want but don't insult people's intelligence with pretzel logic.

but those species don't go seeking it out voluntarily in the wild. we're talking about very extreme circumstances OR circumstances propagated by us.

i'm not sure it's a great reason to not drink milk... since your body has evolved through nature to be able to properly digest another species' milk... but it's fallaceous to say that animals willingly and purposefully seek out nourishment in the form of milk from other species unless they've been conditioned in some way or another to do so
    The last example of this is a wild lion adopting an antelope and nursing it. Voluntarily sought out in the wild.....
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-10-incredible-stories-interspecies-nursing

in an extreme circumstance. like i said.

How does the adoptive lactating mother know that it is an extreme circumstance and decide to do it? In reality, wild or domestic animals, if given a choice will drink another species milk happily. They just have this small problem mechanically of extracting it from other species which we don't have.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

How does the adoptive lactating mother know that it is an extreme circumstance and decide to do it? In reality, wild or domestic animals, if given a choice will drink another species milk happily. They just have this small problem mechanically of extracting it from other species which we don't have.

"if given the choice?" the baby antelope drank the milk because it DIDN'T have a choice!

haha oh this is silly. because one lion once adopted one baby antelope, it must hold true for ALL animals! Real reality? Most lions would have eaten the baby antelope. Why didn't this one? Who the **** knows.

by the way, you're also talking about a baby animal that still produces the lactase enzyme and therefore can and needs to drink milk to grow properly.

grown animals (which is what we should compare since we're grown humans) do not seek out milk for nourishment unless conditioned to do so.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    1% or 2%...What's your opinion and why? Growing up we always drank Fat Free, now I drink 1% most of the time and sometimes 2%.

Can we get back to the OP? The question wasnt who is tolerant or not. You guys are making it too easy for the kooks to come into the thread
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    1% or 2%...What's your opinion and why? Growing up we always drank Fat Free, now I drink 1% most of the time and sometimes 2%.

Can we get back to the OP? The question wasnt who is tolerant or not. You guys are making it too easy for the kooks to come into the thread

The kooks are already here.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

The kooks are already here.

I resemble that remark :laugh:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

lol agreed.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options

"if given the choice?" the baby antelope drank the milk because it DIDN'T have a choice!

haha oh this is silly. because one lion once adopted one baby antelope, it must hold true for ALL animals! Real reality? Most lions would have eaten the baby antelope. Why didn't this one? Who the **** knows.

by the way, you're also talking about a baby animal that still produces the lactase enzyme and therefore can and needs to drink milk to grow properly.

grown animals (which is what we should compare since we're grown humans) do not seek out milk for nourishment unless conditioned to do so.

LOL I agree with the last paragraph. Sheesh, why are we humans doing this?? Purely economics for the farmers.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Milk is delicious. Drink it. I prefer 1%.
  • jonnythan
    Options

That's simply false. Many, many animals will happily drink milk when presented with the opportunity to do so.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    1% because I don't like milk *lol* I try to remember to get organic but faily 9 times out of 10 *lol*
  • jonnythan
    Options
    LOL I agree with the last paragraph. Sheesh, why are we humans doing this?? Purely economics for the farmers.

Who was conditioning people 8000 years ago to drink cow's milk? Was it farmers pushing milk on society?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    for the taste I enjoy whole milk.

a lot of times I use 2% in cereal and cooking.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I am talking about grown animals...If you put out milk or spill it, adult dogs and cats will quickly go after it. Squirrels will drink milk if it is out. Have you been on a farm before? You start milking animals and any free roaming animals will quickly come around to try and catch any droppings. These aren't the baby animals, these are the adult ones.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That's simply false. Many, many animals will happily drink milk when presented with the opportunity to do so.

that's my point. how is that opportunity presented?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Why are we humans raising animals to eat or growing crops? I guess we better go back to pure hunter/gathering & living in caves?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I am talking about grown animals...If you put out milk or spill it, adult dogs and cats will quickly go after it. Squirrels will drink milk if it is out. Have you been on a farm before? You start milking animals and any free roaming animals will quickly come around to try and catch any droppings. These aren't the baby animals, these are the adult ones.

Just because people or animals can eat something it doesn't mean they should. I mean hell, most of us are here for eating too much or a bunch of crap we shouldn't have.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Who was conditioning people 8000 years ago to drink cow's milk? Was it farmers pushing milk on society?

this.
    no other animals cook their food, eat processed food, plant their own food, etc. does that mean we shouldn't do any of that stuff either?

We're people FFS. Don't say that just because other animals don't do _____ that we shouldnt.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

RIGHT!

You - A HUMAN - have to GIVE it to them!!

how are y'all not grasping this. of course they'll drink whatever you put in front of them. they're dumb animals. my cats will drink soap water if it's in the sink. they'll get sick afterwards, but they'll keep doing it anyway!

seriously people
  • jonnythan
    Options

that's my point. how is that opportunity presented?

Not through "conditioning."

You said "animals... do not seek out milk for nourishment unless conditioned to do so."

I don't think "spilling some milk on the floor and watching my cat lick it up" or "leaving a glass of milk on the counter and turning my back on it for 2 minutes to find my cat slurping at it" conditioning.

Put a plate of milk on your porch around here in the summer and it won't be long before there's a squirrel or two lapping it up. I don't think anyone "conditioned" them.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You - A HUMAN - have to GIVE it to them!!

"Giving" and "conditioning" are pretty separate concepts.

You've claimed each is necessary.

So maybe just say "OK, I made a mistake. You don't need to condition them. You just need to present them with the opportunity."