Milk

Options

Replies

• DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The human body produces lactase (with an "A") until the age of 3. It is the enzyme that helps us to digest lactose, the sugar of milk. It means that after 3 years old, we shouldn't be able to digest milk (even your own mother's milk). If we keep drinking it, the body adapts but if you stop for a certain time, you will become lactose intolerant.

It is the same with cats. Everybody knows that adult cats are lactose intolerant. But if you give them milk every week for years, they will be able to digest them.

That's the proof milk is for babies (no matter what species they are).

Do you need more proofs ? :)

Yeah, could you actually provide some proofs?

I quit drinking milk over a year ago. I started up again a month or so ago for awhile and quit again. No problems. How long do I have to go without milk before I can't tolerate it?

I have an 8 year old cat. She rarely ever gets milk, but occasionally I give her some. She loves the stuff. Again, no problems. So how long do I have to keep her off of milk before she can't tolerate it any more?

you're white. you're probably fine.

I'm going to assume that was sarcasm. Or you completely missed the claims in the post I was replying to.

My cat is black. She should be heaving the stuff back up.

smh

it's really not a good idea to feed grown cats milk by the way.
    Turns out that you can’t believe everything you see on television! Milk should not be fed to cats as a treat or a substitute for water. Cats do not possess significant amounts of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk. Feeding milk and milk-based products to cats can actually cause them to vomit or have diarrhea.

ASPCA

Can, not will. I'm pretty sure if my cat was vomiting on my floor, or having diarrhea (I clean her box), that I would notice that. She gets it as a rare treat, and I have known cats that are lactose intolerant.. The original post I replied to stated that "everyone knows cats are lactose intolerant." Not all cats are. Some are. Same with humans.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why cows milk? Is there a reason you think you need this? Have you looked at the grams of SUGAR in skim, 1% and 2% milk? It is so processed and full of sugar thats its not healthy to even drink it. Coconut milk has much less sugar, a little more fat, and even more calcium! Almond milk has much less sugar and less fat. I like the taste of coconut milk over almond milk. If you want real dairy, even though its not necessary for your health, opt for cottage cheese or nonfat plain greek yogurt. Milk is bad!!

The sugar in milk is naturally occurring. Almond milk has basically no protein.

How is milk bad and say cottage cheese ok?

Also, of course you don't need it but how is that relevant?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I used to be a milkaholic and loved 2%, then all the MFP people got to me and as of October I drink 30 cal unsweetened almond milk which has way less calories, almost twice the calcium and no strange impurities.

I remember hearing on Oprah that cow's milk is designed for calves to go from 60 to 600 or more lbs in 6 months. Then it struck me that why on earth are humans drinking it when calves don't their entire lives? Makes no sense but economically, sure.

I heard from a doctor that it can be highly inflammatory for many individuals. Most blacks can't tolerate it and only 50% of Mexicans can. It causes worse menstrual cramps in girls, sexual dysfunction in males, etc. It may also be the culprit for ulcerative colitis and crohns disease in humans. Rant over.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    The human body produces lactase (with an "A") until the age of 3. It is the enzyme that helps us to digest lactose, the sugar of milk. It means that after 3 years old, we shouldn't be able to digest milk (even your own mother's milk). If we keep drinking it, the body adapts but if you stop for a certain time, you will become lactose intolerant.

It is the same with cats. Everybody knows that adult cats are lactose intolerant. But if you give them milk every week for years, they will be able to digest them.

That's the proof milk is for babies (no matter what species they are).

Do you need more proofs ? :)

Yeah, could you actually provide some proofs?

I quit drinking milk over a year ago. I started up again a month or so ago for awhile and quit again. No problems. How long do I have to go without milk before I can't tolerate it?

I have an 8 year old cat. She rarely ever gets milk, but occasionally I give her some. She loves the stuff. Again, no problems. So how long do I have to keep her off of milk before she can't tolerate it any more?

you're white. you're probably fine.

I'm going to assume that was sarcasm. Or you completely missed the claims in the post I was replying to.

My cat is black. She should be heaving the stuff back up.

smh

it's really not a good idea to feed grown cats milk by the way.
    Turns out that you can’t believe everything you see on television! Milk should not be fed to cats as a treat or a substitute for water. Cats do not possess significant amounts of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk. Feeding milk and milk-based products to cats can actually cause them to vomit or have diarrhea.

ASPCA

Can, not will. I'm pretty sure if my cat was vomiting on my floor, or having diarrhea (I clean her box), that I would notice that. She gets it as a rare treat, and I have known cats that are lactose intolerant.. The original post I replied to stated that "everyone knows cats are lactose intolerant." Not all cats are. Some are. Same with humans.

not at all.

MOST humans are lactose intolerant, as are most cats
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk when I realized I was drinking the secretions of an animal outside of my own species. It got a little weird then.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk. Dark almond milk mixed with coconut milk is incredibly good.

So drinking the secretions from your own species would not be odd? (Ignoring the obvious innuendo there)

Also, I hope you avoid honey then.
  • DavidC1857
    Options
    I used to be a milkaholic and loved 2%, then all the MFP people got to me and as of October I drink 30 cal unsweetened almond milk which has way less calories, almost twice the calcium and no strange impurities.

I remember hearing on Oprah that cow's milk is designed for calves to go from 60 to 600 or more lbs in 6 months. Then it struck me that why on earth are humans drinking it when calves don't their entire lives? Makes no sense but economically, sure.

I heard from a doctor that it can be highly inflammatory for many individuals. Most blacks can't tolerate it and only 50% of Mexicans can. It causes worse menstrual cramps in girls, sexual dysfunction in males, etc. It may also be the culprit for ulcerative colitis and crohns disease in humans. Rant over.

So during your self-admitted milkaholic stage, did you suffer from any of those problems? Did you gain massive amounts of weight? Or did you just buy into the MFP propaganda and stop drinking milk?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

No animal but human drinks milk from another species. It just seems weird to me.

So completely not true. Frequently, one species will adopt an orphan from another species and nurse them. For your viewing pleasure...
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-10-incredible-stories-interspecies-nursing
  • DavidC1857
    Options
    not at all.

So your estimation then, is that since MOST humans are lactose intolerant (your unreferenced claim), that it is somehow bad for those of us who are NOT lactose intolerant to drink milk?

P.S. I've owned a number of cats over the years. Not a single lactose intolerant one yet.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    1% or 2%...What's your opinion and why? Growing up we always drank Fat Free, now I drink 1% most of the time and sometimes 2%.

None. Don't drink it. never have. It will make me vomit. It's a texture thing.
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    Something interesting about dairy products and the supposed calcium they provide and the osteoporosis rates here in America. I read that Magnesium is also required for us to absorb the calcium. It's not present in cow's milk because the cow uses it!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
  • ctalimenti
    Options

So during your self-admitted milkaholic stage, did you suffer from any of those problems? Did you gain massive amounts of weight? Or did you just buy into the MFP propaganda and stop drinking milk?

Yes but not male impotence. :) I was gaining steadily in my 40's and caught it relatively early on. I developed ulcerative colitis 17 yrs ago.
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options

Sexual dysfunction in males? Really? Explain how my bf drinks a gallon plus a day and still keeps me well sated...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk when I realized I was drinking the secretions of an animal outside of my own species. It got a little weird then.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk. Dark almond milk mixed with coconut milk is incredibly good.

Are you a vegetarian? If not, is it weirder drinking their nutritive secretions, or cutting them up into little pieces and eating their insides?

Nope, not a vegetarian. I prefer them for their higher nutritive values, and the fact that I'm not drinking something that was designed for calves to drink. No animal but human drinks milk from another species. It just seems weird to me.

That's just plan nonsense and not true. Dogs, cats and most other mammals will drink the milk of another species if it is made available. Drink what you want but don't insult people's intelligence with pretzel logic.

but those species don't go seeking it out voluntarily in the wild. we're talking about very extreme circumstances OR circumstances propagated by us.

i'm not sure it's a great reason to not drink milk... since your body has evolved through nature to be able to properly digest another species' milk... but it's fallaceous to say that animals willingly and purposefully seek out nourishment in the form of milk from other species unless they've been conditioned in some way or another to do so
    The last example of this is a wild lion adopting an antelope and nursing it. Voluntarily sought out in the wild.....
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-10-incredible-stories-interspecies-nursing
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Milk - it does my body good.
    i am good with skim or 1%.
    i prefer it with Ovaltine sometimes though. yum! =)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    not at all.

So your estimation then, is that since MOST humans are lactose intolerant (your unreferenced claim), that it is somehow bad for those of us who are NOT lactose intolerant to drink milk?

P.S. I've owned a number of cats over the years. Not a single lactose intolerant one yet.

1) please read my posts in this thread.

2) you're looking ignorant. do some research. ~70% of people worldwide (african, asian, hispanic, middle eastern etc) do not possess the enzyme lactase needed to break down lactose. However 90% of European-descended people DO have the enzyme lactase thanks to thousands of years of evolution, so if you're white, you're likely to be able to handle lactose perfectly fine. This doesn't mean you won't eventually lose your lactase enzymes, but for now you're good to go.

tumblr_inline_mjbqiukx4h1qz4rgp.gif
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    Here's how I feel about milk. If you drink lots of it daily and are overweight, it makes sense to switch to something less caloric. It's a "relatively" easy fix. I struggled with the fact that I could accept another type of milk but then thought to myself that as an infant, I became accustomed to cow's milk so why not something else as an adult.

It's a personal choice really.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Are you a vegetarian? If not, is it weirder drinking their nutritive secretions, or cutting them up into little pieces and eating their insides?

Nope, not a vegetarian. I prefer them for their higher nutritive values, and the fact that I'm not drinking something that was designed for calves to drink. No animal but human drinks milk from another species. It just seems weird to me.

That's just plan nonsense and not true. Dogs, cats and most other mammals will drink the milk of another species if it is made available. Drink what you want but don't insult people's intelligence with pretzel logic.

but those species don't go seeking it out voluntarily in the wild. we're talking about very extreme circumstances OR circumstances propagated by us.

i'm not sure it's a great reason to not drink milk... since your body has evolved through nature to be able to properly digest another species' milk... but it's fallaceous to say that animals willingly and purposefully seek out nourishment in the form of milk from other species unless they've been conditioned in some way or another to do so
    The last example of this is a wild lion adopting an antelope and nursing it. Voluntarily sought out in the wild.....

in an extreme circumstance. like i said.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Couldn't find any almonds with teats.
    This was as close as I could get.

almond-teat-flash.jpg
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I prefer oat, coconut, or almond milk.

....homemade!