I may be chubby BUT I run Half Marathons

Options

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I really needed this...whenever I talk to runners..i always start out with "i am not really a runner.." but I guess I am...doing my first 1/2 in 4 weeks..you inspire me!
  • PrimalPixie
    PrimalPixie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great response ! You didn't let that person rain on your parade. I love your positive attitude.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Great response ! You didn't let that person rain on your parade. I love your positive attitude.

Positive?

You mean the assumptions, or the name calling?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Too bad humans can't read facial expressions or body language...

tumblr_luoz314rbM1r6aoq4o1_2501_zps9fe23eb2.gif

Ah, the mystery of it all.

I used to get in girl fights all the time in high school because I was always apparently giving people dirty looks. This was always a huge surprise to me. I just have that look to me. Ya know.. the b!tchy Kristen Stewart look.

OP you obviously have self esteem issues to assume a look from a stranger means they are thinking you are too fat to be running.
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    tumblr_m67o48VIyR1qiszyko1_500.jpg
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Great post. Nice job motivating others to follow in your footsteps!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I used to get in girl fights all the time in high school because I was always apparently giving people dirty looks. This was always a huge surprise to me. I just have that look to me. Ya know.. the b!tchy Kristen Stewart look.

Cool story bro. "She gave me a dirty look" is probably the #1 reason girls got into fights where I grew up, too. That doesn't mean that's what is happening here.
    OP you obviously have self esteem issues to assume a look from a stranger means they are thinking you are too fat to be running.

So she's a "mind reader" when she interprets someone's facial expression (when the person is looking right at her) but you're not an armchair psychotherapist when you diagnose her with self esteem issues online?

Not exactly sure why you feel the need to prove her wrong. She felt a certain way. She's the one who was there, she is the only one here who can give an account of what happened and yes, as she is a human, she can only give the account from her own perspective. The way she felt is not up for debate here. The actions of the other woman can't really be debated either as the sole witness was the OP. If your theory is that no one in the world has ever had this happen to them, I think you'll find plenty of members here who have stories very similar to this one. They may not be inclined to tell them, and I think it's obvious why.

It's not that I don't think you've got a point at all. Are we 100% accurate when we interpret the facial expressions of others? No. Will name calling resolve anything? No, though it might help the OP release some tension and everyone who has ever been cut off in traffic has probably shouted far worse out the car window... meanwhile she's getting berated for "judging" as if judging is some sort of punishable offense. Please. We all make judgments every single day. It's a survival instinct. So while I can appreciate people's need to offer up an alternative to internalizing what happened or reacting in a way some people are going to brand "negatively," I don't see the need to beat up the OP for her feelings, or invalidate them by acting like what she described could not possibly have occured and that there is something wrong with her for interpreting someone else's behavior as anything other than totally unrelated to herself.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    That's quite the chip on your shoulder. How do you not fall over?
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to get me a bunch of crap, but whatever...

Why did you assume that this lady was thinking anything about you? And why did the other poster assume that the "skinny little girl" and her boyfriend were looking at her and laughing about her?

I know when I run, I don't much pay attention to anyone but myself. I assume that other people are there for the same reason. It never occurs to me that anyone else cares what I do, let alone that they would go out of their way to express it to me.

Finally!!!! It took almost two pages but we finally have a winner. Good post
  • _DaniD_
    Options

Cool story bro. "She gave me a dirty look" is probably the #1 reason girls got into fights where I grew up, too. That doesn't mean that's what is happening here.

So she's a "mind reader" when she interprets someone's facial expression (when the person is looking right at her) but you're not an armchair psychotherapist when you diagnose her with self esteem issues online?

Not exactly sure why you feel the need to prove her wrong. She felt a certain way. She's the one who was there, she is the only one here who can give an account of what happened and yes, as she is a human, she can only give the account from her own perspective. The way she felt is not up for debate here. The actions of the other woman can't really be debated either as the sole witness was the OP. If your theory is that no one in the world has ever had this happen to them, I think you'll find plenty of members here who have stories very similar to this one. They may not be inclined to tell them, and I think it's obvious why.

It's not that I don't think you've got a point at all. Are we 100% accurate when we interpret the facial expressions of others? No. Will name calling resolve anything? No, though it might help the OP release some tension and everyone who has ever been cut off in traffic has probably shouted far worse out the car window... meanwhile she's getting berated for "judging" as if judging is some sort of punishable offense. Please. We all make judgments every single day. It's a survival instinct. So while I can appreciate people's need to offer up an alternative to internalizing what happened or reacting in a way some people are going to brand "negatively," I don't see the need to beat up the OP for her feelings, or invalidate them by acting like what she described could not possibly have occured and that there is something wrong with her for interpreting someone else's behavior as anything other than totally unrelated to herself.

Anyyyyways...

tumblr_mca1crX94W1qj1j9lo1_500.gif
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    OP.. my advice to you is not to let your thoughts control you. Try to control your thoughts.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!! Why is it that non runners think you have to be thin and be an elite runner just to run. I am by no means a Kenyan but I get out there. It doesnt matter if you can complete with an amazing time or if it takes you alot longer then the "AVERAGE JOE" you are getting out there and having fun (well most times having fun) And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!
    OP, you are awesome. #ThatIsAll
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!! Why is it that non runners think you have to be thin and be an elite runner just to run. I am by no means a Kenyan but I get out there. It doesnt matter if you can complete with an amazing time or if it takes you alot longer then the "AVERAGE JOE" you are getting out there and having fun (well most times having fun) And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!
    OP, you are awesome. #ThatIsAll

#thisisnottwitter #thisisnotinstagram #donotbefooled #goelsewherewiththathashtagbusiness #wowthatshardtoread #andimout
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    OP, congrats on running and it's totally awesome that you're doing the half marathons.

Now quit assuming and by calling her a miserable cow, it speaks volumes about you and not in a good way!
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Your post has made my day...! :)

One of my favorite things about any photograph of a relative of mine after he has finished a running event (and is a photograph that inevitably includes other runners, as well), or any of so many wonderful moments and scenes in the documentary "Spirit of the Marathon", is the fact that I see such a variety of body types, AND AGES, and it's so inspiring, and such a reminder of not only what is possible, no matter our body type, and even in our (and sometimes _much_) older years, but is also a terrific (and downright powerful) lesson in how we humans are capable of so much more than we tend to think we're capable of accomplishing, let alone 'enduring'.

So much of distance running involves a pivotal mental component, in addition to the physical. It takes will, determination, tenacity, fortitude, discipline, and being 'engaged' with monitoring one's physical status (and is arguably a rather interesting form of 'getting to know our bodies').

I have the utmost respect for folks who tackle such a goal, and especially given that it 'doesn't come easy' (and at times, that aspect can involve the physical, and other times, the mental) -- it's challenging, period, and one heck of an accomplishment just to _train_ for such events.

Your attitude is so refreshing, and I wish that the 'essence' of it could be 'bottled' and given to those who otherwise need a 'boost', when it comes to finding the courage to 'just do it'. As it stands (or should I say, runs ;) ), your post will undoubtedly inspire many, which is truly awesome, when you think about it -- your post will help change lives!. :)
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Ya know.. the b!tchy Kristen Stewart look.

tumblr_m7xctxFBD41rszru2o1_500.gif

I, personally, am too concentrated on my run to notice what other people are doing with their faces. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't waste time trying to find a way to be offended by it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Love it! You are awesome!

Edited to add..I don't condone name calling but I love that you (and me) are out there doing it!
  • hmires1968
    Options
    that is AWESOME! I can't even imagine doing a half marathon! I am doing my first 5K (walking) in OKC this Sunday. :)
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You totally ROCK!!

I had a similar situation happen to me. My family and I ride bikes a lot, and we live in Colorado, so we are about 7500 feet above sea level. Well, anyhow, we took a cruse a couple of years ago and we decided to do the bike ride tour in Halifax Canada. There were about 5 really skinny girls there looking at me like I had lost my mind. I know they thought I would hold them back. But I ended up kicking all of their butts!! It was awesome!!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my first thought was, wow you must have really low self esteem to assume that everyone out there is just going around judging you and thinking you're too fat to run.

What if that girl was just having a really bad day and then you yelled at her??!!

How do you know what she was thinking?

You should focus on your running, and what YOU are getting out of it and stop caring what everyone else thinks of you doing it or how you look. Your reaction did not say to me that you were to confident to care what she thought, it told me that you're so insecure you have to yell at a random person in the street because you assume everyone is judging you.