Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    My cart is all over the place: organic baby spring mix, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, whole-grain bread, Eggland's Best eggs, cottage cheese, baby carrots, Pop-Tarts, ice cream, Tastykakes, Cap'n Crunch. Some of the treats are mine, some are my husband's and/or teenage son's. I don't much care what people think, but I suppose some might find the mix of items amusing.

lol mine are all over the place also, I truly laugh about my own cart on the days that I am just picking up a few items and I have all the rest I need at home already.

So my cart might be some ground beef, creamer, popsicles and something like xylitol.

but I already have a bunch of veggies and other meal items at home lol
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    well duh,. we all do it

No.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I will definitely check out the food on other tables at restaurants so I can see what looks good. I want that one!
    I don't check other carts when grocery shopping. I know that my grocery purchases may seem like a strange combination and I don't know or much care about other people's grocery stories. I get most of my veggies from a CSA and like to buy meat from a seperate butcher and fish market so sometimes I checkout with a cart full of just dairy. Or a couple cans sardines, a bag of onions, and a giant pack of TP. Or 3 bottles of wine and a box of cereal.
    Sometimes I do look at what's on the conveyer belt in front or behind me just because it's there. Any internal commentary is along the lines of "maybe I should try cooking plantains again" or "yeah, that is good ice cream" or " oh wow! that looks like a good time."
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    My cart is all over the place: organic baby spring mix, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, whole-grain bread, Eggland's Best eggs, cottage cheese, baby carrots, Pop-Tarts, ice cream, Tastykakes, Cap'n Crunch. Some of the treats are mine, some are my husband's and/or teenage son's. I don't much care what people think, but I suppose some might find the mix of items amusing.

lol mine are all over the place also, I truly laugh about my own cart on the days that I am just picking up a few items and I have all the rest I need at home already.

So my cart might be some ground beef, creamer, popsicles and something like xylitol.

• lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options

A few months ago my cart was a 1/2 gallon of vodka, 6-pack of beer, cookies, chocolate milk and a box of tampons. I'm sure people thought I was some alcoholic on the rag. What they didn't know was I stopped by the farmers market for my fruits and veggies right before this store. Then I was off to the butcher for some meats.

So no I do not judge people's cart as I don't think it tells the whole story.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think I look out of curiosity in other peoples carts, I wouldn't say I'm a snob about it though. I've never had anyone comment on what I'm buying either. :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Uh, I guess I'm a real snob cause I don't even shop at the grocery store most times, but the farmers market. And when I do go grocery store shopping it's normally whole foods. Most people are buying healthy options both places.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :noway: :laugh:
    This is bizarre...I'm so busy trying to keep my own head on straight, I haven't the time or inclination to care what's in *anyone's* shopping cart.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Really, what teasing you about the lettuce and turkey burger???? I would have a hard time not returning the favor and asking about their cheesy poofs, oreos and the ever balancing option of gluton free Chex cereal (yes I saw this in the same cart)

Sounds a bit like our trolley - among all the healthy stuff there will be biscuits and crisps and a packet of Gluten free cereal. I'm a coeliac and cant have the biscuits/crisps but the cereal is for me. It is also not the healthy sort as I cant eat most chocolate or snacks due to other food intolerances/allergies but the free from Coco Snaps are my treat.. most families i know will tend to only buy the Free from stuff for those who need it - at almost £3 a box its not cheap.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's me. What's really hard is to bite my tongue when other people feel the need to comment on my healthy choices while their cart is filled with junk. This has happened to me a few times.

Really, what teasing you about the lettuce and turkey burger???? I would have a hard time not returning the favor and asking about their cheesy poofs, oreos and the ever balancing option of gluton free Chex cereal (yes I saw this in the same cart)

Sidebar: I'm gluten free and my SO is not. When shopping...we use the same cart :tongue:
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    yes im like yup ill see ya on fitness pal soon if you keep tha up lol
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    for conversations sake.... we tend to buy meat/produce/brown rice etc. at the farmers market, or the butcher, or the bulk store. i make special trips to the grocery store/supermarket mostly for treats. rocket pops, ice cream, marshmallows, jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches, frozen pizza for the kids. my cart must look terrible, but it accounts for a small part of our diet. cant get proper treats at the farmers market!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I can say that I definitely notice more of what other people are putting in their carts and whether it's healthy or unhealthy, but I try not to judge them for it. They just may not know any better. Hell, less than 2 years ago I was in that exact same boat.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Its just as bad as someone ordering a double cheeseburger, large fry and then a DIET COKE!! uGH.....:smile:

You know...I hate Coke. Like really hate it. I'm a Pepsi girl. If I'm at a restaurant that only has Coke products and I reeeeeaaalllly want a soda, I'll settle for Diet Coke, but never regular. I could be having double cheeseburger and fries or I could be having a salad. For the record, I usually just drink water, but sometimes you just want the taste of a soda with your meal (water+burger=sad) and Coke is just plain awful.

I hate pepsi. :3 Haha! It's funny how two different cola's can taste so different.

To the original poster of this particular quoted section, not EVERYONE who orders a diet coke with a burger and fries is thinking they're making a good choice.

For example, I would much rather have a diet coke with lime over regular coke any time, because I like the flavor of it, not because I think having diet soda will counter-act the burger and fries. Don't be too quick to think that everyone who does this is an idiot.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    And there was I thinking that people enjoyed living in a free country.

All we need next is a government agency so that we can dob people in for their poor choices.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    hate to admit it but i do the same thing too. i like to check out what people buy especially when i'm at trader joes. oh and when i see someone at trader joes with a cart full of groceries my little ears perk up when the cashier tells the person the total. :blushing:
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    haha I actually find myself drooling at someone else's groceries if they have a certain frozen pie or favorite potato chip that I used to buy all the time...I know that I'm better off without it but sometimes you just want a chip or two.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone esle? I fear I am becoming a grocery store snob. I look in other people's carts at the checkout and mentally gloat at my healthier choices or I am just totally shocked that the cart half full (maybe 3 bags worth) of junk cost more than my weeks worth of nutiritous food. I try to stop myself because we have all been there but it seems to happen every time.

I get all my food delivered to my home from ASDA, I detest shopping so I never see anybody else's trolley.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I always look to see what other people are buying.
  • nilleah
    nilleah Posts: 177
    Options
    I mind my own damn business to be honest. It's really not my place to judge what others are buying nor is it their place to judge what I'm buying.

We were all there once too. Have some decency and just let people do what people do. I don't understand why everyone feels like they have the right or a need to judge what other people eat or do. It's their life. Leave them alone. You wouldn't want them sticking their nose in your business, stay out of theirs.

Just my 2cp.