Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people buy, but I'm always self conscious about what's in my cart. My dogs absolutely love Cheez Whiz, and I wish I could have a sign "it's not for me, it's for my dogs!"
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nope. I could care less what everyone else is eating. Plus, though I am a very healthy eater, my husband and children like their snacks and ice cream. If someone wants to judge me on my cart, I just laugh. I'm fit and at a very healthy weight. Judge my cart all you want:wink:

Oh and one other thing. I am gluten, wheat, and processed sugar free. The rest of my family is not. So ya, you will see a mixture in my buggie
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone esle? I fear I am becoming a grocery store snob. I look in other people's carts at the checkout and mentally gloat at my healthier choices or I am just totally shocked that the cart half full (maybe 3 bags worth) of junk cost more than my weeks worth of nutiritous food. I try to stop myself because we have all been there but it seems to happen every time.

you obviously do not buy the same healthy things I do

My grocery bill always wins the biggest total of the day prize.

lol
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Last night, the guy in front of me in the self-check out had a "yours-mine-ours" trip.
    - gallon of organic skim milk
    - box of Little Debbie Nutty Bars
    - box of condoms

Yeah, I looked... and grinned.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My cart is all over the place: organic baby spring mix, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, whole-grain bread, Eggland's Best eggs, cottage cheese, baby carrots, Pop-Tarts, ice cream, Tastykakes, Cap'n Crunch. Some of the treats are mine, some are my husband's and/or teenage son's. I don't much care what people think, but I suppose some might find the mix of items amusing.

lol mine are all over the place also, I truly laugh about my own cart on the days that I am just picking up a few items and I have all the rest I need at home already.

So my cart might be some ground beef, creamer, popsicles and something like xylitol.

but I already have a bunch of veggies and other meal items at home lol

see now i would be the one staring at your cart and it's not out of judgement btw it's because i have no idea what xylitol is so i would staring wondering what is it unless of course i could recognize it from it's packaging then i would be wondering okay what that product.

not directing my comment at you but i'm sorry if people think i stare because it's out of disbelief and disgust that someone has captain crunch in their cart.

i stare for a variety of reasons: i'm standing behind you at the checkout with nothing better to do, curiosity will always get the best of me, i wonder about the different products in your cart that i have not tried and YES on occasion i will stare in disbelief at someone's cart full of pure junk and wonder mmm.... do they have kids, are they having a party, are they feeding a family of 12, God I want to spend the day at their house devouring every last bit of junk food in that cart and YUP I also will also think wow that's a lot of crap.

just because someone stares at what's in another person's cart doesn't mean they are ALWAYS staring to be judgmental!
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I mind my own damn business to be honest. It's really not my place to judge what others are buying nor is it their place to judge what I'm buying.

We were all there once too. Have some decency and just let people do what people do. I don't understand why everyone feels like they have the right or a need to judge what other people eat or do. It's their life. Leave them alone. You wouldn't want them sticking their nose in your business, stay out of theirs.

Just my 2cp.

Right? I can't imagine it would have really made a difference if before eating healthy if some busy body had come up and said something like, "You know those cheetos aren't healthy." I would have thought or said something like, "You know what else isn't healthy? My foot in your *kitten*. Jerk."
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    No, not that. I am much too busy between coupons and lists and trying to make sure I have everything I need. One thing I have noticed is that I when I see people with cookies and cakes in their carts I get a tiny little flash back to when I used to eat anything I wanted with no thought. I get a little twinge of..."I want a whole tub of cookies..." for a split second. Then I get control of myself again. :laugh:
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Yes but my general feeling towards them is sadness. I wish
    have a moment to turn themselves around ... of course I'm
    mostly speaking of excessive heavy ppl I see shopping for
    garbage foods. It makes me happy to see the ppl on mfp
    turning themselves around, I just wish everyone could.
  • Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It would be unwise to judge my cart full of chocolate and tampons.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Guilty. I'm so curious about other people and their eating habits. ... Reading this thread is making me want to go to the store for the sole purpose of looking in people's carts now.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    At least it sounds like you're still shopping at normal people stores. If you ever start bragging about how you pay triple to shop at some store like Whole Paycheck or worse, some hippy co-op, then that's when you know you've really gone off the deep end.

'Whole Paycheck' aka Whole Foods had grapes on sale for 99cents a pound today (and chardonnay for $3). Maybe it had something to do with the upcoming holiday but around here seedless grapes usually run $3.99 per pound no matter where you shop. .99 was a steal (bought an extra bunch for freezing).

Last time I checked out someone's cart was to judge which line would check out quicker. Got behind the guy who only had three items. Then I heard the checkout clerk say that his bill was $114. Stunned, I could only stare at the three items wrapped in butcher's paper and wonder whether it was meat dipped in gold.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    -hand raise- Guilty.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Im not one to judge, but a lady said to me a few months ago... 'geesh you buy enough broccoli' as I had about 20 5 pound bags in my cart along with other low carb deliciousness... and I wanted to reply 'well u bought enough mountain dew for an entire football team' with her 30 cases of soda and 2 bananas (yup just 2)... but I didnt.... let people buy and eat what they wish....
  • sarahkalt88
    sarahkalt88 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of that too. I tend to do it with mostly with middle aged single men, who have carts full of frozen pizza's and hungry man tv dinners, or Mom's who have carts full of junk food and then seem at their wits end with children who are running around the store like wild animals (can you tell I'm not a parent?!). I feel guilty about it, but I also know that a lot of children grow up to be products of their environment, and teaching them healthy eating now is a skill they'll utilize for the rest of their lives. Plus, if your kids aren't high on fake, sugar-laden food they might able able to behave themselves in public. Again, I'm not a parent so I'm very sorry if I've offended anyone. I know not all children are like that, nor are all the off the wall children in the grocery store high on sugary foods. Nor does your food choices make you a bad parent. Some healthy eating education is something we could all benefit from!
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I momentarily feel smug and proud of my great choices...until I see the total. I definitely spend A LOT more now that I am eating mostly organic food. But I feel great, am looking good...so it is worth it.
  • xxmzangel
    xxmzangel Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Definitely guilty. It makes me feel better about what's in mine when I have mostly fruit, vegetables, meat/chicken, and maybe a couple of more processed items, and then I see someone with frozen meals, chips, pop, or whatever else. It honestly makes me feel pity, not for them individually, but for society, as so many people are just unaware of what they're eating, or just think they can't afford to eat any better.
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    OMG I do that too, I thought I was so bad for doing it too, I thought I was the only one HAHA. I felt so bad. SMH, I'm glad that I'm not the only one.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I'm only on page 1 and, God, this thread pisses me off.

The forums have changed a bit since 2013. I suspect that now, at least a few people would jump in to say mind your own business (that being said, I only skim read the first page, and haven't read the others, so maybe it has been said throughout).