The wisdom of the young

Options

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    We all mature at different levels and times in our lives!
    The following study was envisioned by a 16-year-old.
    That Organics are Healthier than Conventional Foods

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0052988
    Intellect is one thing
    Wisdom another
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, although I'm apparently old enough to give it. I'm just wondering at what age you become mature enough to pick fights with 18 year olds on the internet? Does that level of maturity level kick in at 38 or is 40 the minimum?

When did I ever claim to be mature??

Haha. I rest my case.

About what? Your case was about intelligence and laziness, not maturity.

Who cares what my case is about? like in politics...exploiting a politician's dirty affair makes him less in the eyes of the people-regardless of the fact that its not related to politics. You just said you're not mature...even if it has nothing to do with the argument, your argument loses validity

Not really. Blowbama got voted in again didn't he??

But I thought this was a weight loss site, not a poly science group!!

Because he gives money to the lazy people of our country, and majority of the country is lazy...if you really want to get into that.

Ohhh...very nicely done!!

:flowerforyou:

:)

Yay! We finally agree on something....the other guy, however, seems to have his balls in a knot :/
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    There are some incredibly stupid 40 year olds that post here.....

...says the woman who hates the stupidity of some posts as much as I do. And I quote from your profile: "...without having to go through the bull*hit you find on the main forums..."
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Would you like me to edit that post? I don't want to blow your cover. ;)

It's me, silverkittycat.

Nah. I don't care. You are probably one of three who remembers the BearTiger.

Four.

BearTiger.jpg

yesyesyesyesyes!!!
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    just cuz u were a dumbass doesnt make me a dumbass

No, the fact that you construct a sentence the way you do makes you a dumbass.

I can construct a sentence just as well as you can. Because I can get my point across in fewer words, I choose not to. Nobody wants to read long, proper sentences anymore. Stick to the times, and get to the point.

You're in for a rude awakening when you join the real world. Professionals absolutely want to read long, proper sentences. Thank you for proving my original point.

But this is not a professional environment; it's a casual one. She knows the difference.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options

I can construct a sentence just as well as you can. Because I can get my point across in fewer words, I choose not to. Nobody wants to read long, proper sentences anymore. Stick to the times, and get to the point.

This is a sad commentary on the laziness of todays youth :(.

Which is why if I catch my 15yr old daughter using text speak on her cell or anywhere else, to myself, or to her friends...she loses it for a week.

Period.

I feel bad for your daughter....

Me too.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I am 24. I agree that I shouldn't have to answer to some 40 year old lady's questions about TOM. Yet, I've been doing so for quite some time on here.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

You're in for a rude awakening when you join the real world. Professionals absolutely want to read long, proper sentences. Thank you for proving my original point.

We're not in a professional setting right now. Part of being a good communicator is discerning what kind of diction is appropriate for different environments.

Absolutely true. There is a difference between formal and informal communication. I DO NOT speak nor write to my friends and family the same way I communicate with my boss. A simple text to my sister will not look like a business letter, for God's sake! Chill out, OP! (There needs to be a rolling eyes smiley for this thread.)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Another responsible parent who cares about the slow death of the English language and the way kids of today utilise it!

Not a parent, but an ESL teacher, and I got in a pretty heated argument with a "friend" on here because I was tired of his abuse of the language. He proceeded to question my intelligence, my knowledge of English, and my ability to teach it all because I asked him to please spell out his words. I'm not perfect by any stretch, but the slow death of my language makes me sad.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options
    Does that mean that I'm four months away from being allowed to give advice?

I don't know whether or not you were intending to be patronizing, but it certainly came across that way. I'm 22 years old, I spent two years in the military, and traveled across the majority of the country. Afterwards, I married and had two kids. Now, I'm a year away from my bachelor's degree. I have plenty of advice to give.

Yes, I understand you said that MOST people don't have the right to give advice in the 18-22 age group, but the fact that you put such strict age parameters on your original post could be considered offensive.

Personally, I only give advice about what I've personally experienced and what I've learned from experts. I don't want to be a danger to anyone.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I pity folks who demand the same attention to eloquent writing in informal situations as formal. Are all forms of etiquette like that for them? Do they shake hands and politely introduce themselves to family members upon every meeting? Sir/Ma'm after every random encounter in the streets? A soliloquy of poetry and prose for each question or musing that comes across their mind?

How exhausting. And socially awkward. It would make getting along in today's world an uncomfortable experience, both for the person displaying that behavior and for those receiving it.

And for the young not knowing anything - the young sometimes have experiences that others, god willing and with a hearty amount of good decisions and a little luck - will never have to know.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I pity folks who demand the same attention to eloquent writing in informal situations as formal. Are all forms of etiquette like that for them? Do they shake hands and politely introduce themselves to family members upon every meeting? Sir/Ma'm after every random encounter in the streets? A soliloquy of poetry and prose for each question or musing that comes across their mind?

How exhausting. And socially awkward. It would make getting along in today's world an uncomfortable experience, both for the person displaying that behavior and for those receiving it.

And for the young not knowing anything - the young sometimes have experiences that others, god willing and with a hearty amount of good decisions and a little luck - will never have to know.

QFT
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

...says the woman who hates the stupidity of some posts as much as I do. And I quote from your profile: "...without having to go through the bull*hit you find on the main forums..."

What has your response got to do with my comment? My profile does not say "...without having to go through the bull*hit you find on the main forums from 18 - 22 year olds..." does it?
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Another responsible parent who cares about the slow death of the English language and the way kids of today utilise it!

Not a parent, but an ESL teacher, and I got in a pretty heated argument with a "friend" on here because I was tired of his abuse of the language. He proceeded to question my intelligence, my knowledge of English, and my ability to teach it all because I asked him to please spell out his words. I'm not perfect by any stretch, but the slow death of my language makes me sad.
    My family was always on my case for correcting my (6 year old) daughter's grammar from a very young age, but she speaks more intelligently than some adults I know.

I had a job several years ago as a writer for a company, and everything was to be written in STE or SE (Simplified English). I was given a dictionary of basically 500 words that I could use (technical words were the exception to the rule), and it was a challenge to modify over 20 years of my English usage. Everything was written this way so it could be easily translated into different languages.

My English is far from perfect, but I can't stand texting lingo. I don't even acknowledge text messages from my friends if they're sent to me in such a fashion.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

My family was always on my case for correcting my (6 year old) daughter's grammar from a very young age, but she speaks more intelligently than some adults I know.

I had a job several years ago as a writer for a company, and everything was to be written in STE or SE (Simplified English). I was given a dictionary of basically 500 words that I could use (technical words were the exception to the rule), and it was a challenge to modify over 20 years of my English usage. Everything was written this way so it could be easily translated into different languages.

My English is far from perfect, but I can't stand texting lingo. I don't even acknowledge text messages from my friends if they're sent to me in such a fashion.

I tend to be very informal in my communication unless the situation dictates formality, but I at least like to read things that somewhat resemble the English language.

It doesn't always bother me, and I let a lot of people get away with it, but when it's horrible - like with this person I was talking about - that's when it grates on me enough to say something.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    While I will absolutely agree that very few, if any, people are as wise at 20 as they are at 50, your criticism, OP, is both over and under inclusive. The issue is that there are quite a few people who just have no clue and are giving advice. It is up to the receivers of that advice, however, to discern the good from the bad. That critical reasoning ability, or the lack thereof, is why some get their information from Dr. Oz and others from pubmed, to use but one example. And that said, there are at least a handful of people on here that are in their 20s who are much wiser than many others in their 50s and 60s.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

What has your response got to do with my comment? My profile does not say "...without having to go through the bull*hit you find on the main forums from 18 - 22 year olds..." does it?

I'm wondering too. That made no sense. Sara may get frustrated at some of the things that get posted, but she doesn't automatically assume that all "idiotic posts" are made by those in a certain age range
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

How exhausting. And socially awkward. It would make getting along in today's world an uncomfortable both for the person displaying that behavior and for those receiving it.

Formal/business.
    Informal/casual.
    Lazy butchering?

There's more than two categories here miss.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I tend to be very informal in my communication unless the situation dictates formality, but I at least like to read things that somewhat resemble the English language.

It doesn't always bother me, and I let a lot of people get away with it, but when it's horrible - like with this person I was talking about - that's when it grates on me enough to say something.

Requiring standard English, free from argot and other linguistic dalliances in an informal setting such as a forum just highlights a lack of fluency of the written form. Slang, text speak and all the modern language ruptures are part of the transience of language and thought; it's a living structure with its own fluidity that we can either playfully embrace or staidly criticize.

The constant use of weak language does point out an inability to either refine thought or communicate it but no more or less than having a long broomstick up the linguistic posterior oriffice. Be flexible, it's just easier.

Edit: oh, there are idiots of every age.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

How exhausting. And socially awkward. It would make getting along in today's world an uncomfortable both for the person displaying that behavior and for those receiving it.

Formal/business.
    Informal/casual.
    Lazy butchering?

There's more than two categories here miss.

Don't get me wrong - I have a knee jerk reaction when my sister posts "I so sick of da **** n drama dat goez on in my life." But she posts it on FB, where I share an ungodly amount of cat and demotivational posters. It's not like she's getting a grade on it. The same for her texting.

(I'm perfectly able to speak and write well. I rather love it, as a matter of fact. I find comfort in the written word. But spell out every single word in full on a phone with a keyboard half the size of my hand and buttons a quarter the size of my pinkie? Hell no. Practicality - it also has its place.)
This discussion has been closed.