Seriously?!

Options
I live in a (pretty) nice neighborhood in a small country town of about 1000 people. my yard is 7/8 of an acre, with a 30'x32' garden , several vehicles, and a 15x15 dog kennel we are cleaning out to turn into a chicken coop. My property line starts 20' off the railroad behind the house. We have several No Tresspassing signs in plain view at all sides of the yard (peopke like to come lookat the clasdic cars and my dogs yank my arms off.when i walk them and people are randomly in the yard).

Earlier today, a man was picking up cans from the railroad. We have a large pile of cans inside and beside the kennel that are going to end up buying our chickens. Man (who is in a polo shirt with pressed jeans and a very large belt buckle) sees my cans and immediately begins trudging through the blackberry thorns into my yard towards them. Neighbors dogs are going beserk.

I step outside in a bright yellow shirt, slamming my door. He sees me and goes back to the railroad.
I pick up my garden rake and head out to my garden so i can pull dirt to my plants and keep an eye on the guy. I notice he goes back to a brand new dodge truck with dealer tags on it.

I finish pulling dirt and head inside to finish making lunch. Within twenty minutes, neighbors dogs and mine all go beserk barking. I go into the kitchen and see the same guy pulling cans out of the pile and bagging them. He is now over 30 yards into my property. Now, this county has a very "dont care unless youre dying" attitude. It takes cops over 30 minutes to get here in an emergency-and theft isnt an emergency. (i caught a guy cutting copper pipe off a neighbors house-i kid you not, dispatch suggested i go tell him to stop so they wouldnt have to send units to my town.)

I am 4'8" and 120lbs. i am alone. The guy looked me in the eye not twenty minutes prior-he KNEW i was home. Something aint right with this guy, but im not letting him run off with over $150 in scrap metal.

I grabbed a hunting rifle and slammed my door again. He started towards me intil he saw the gun. His excuse?

"im cleaning the railroad."

I told him he was in a dog kennel, not a train-and he was a long way off the railroad. I expkained that he had walked directly past two No Tresspassing signs and was on private property. He left when i told him that ny rifle shot rounds that now cost $1.07 a piece and im not wasting my money on a warning shot.

Now, im mad. i prop the gun up inside the door and resume my lunch, irritated but thinking that he learned a lesson despite getting some of my cans. I ate, put on a load of laundry, and started getting ready to shower and work out. A half hour later, i heard the neighbors dogs again. I looked out my window and the guy was BACK IN MY YARD.

When i shut the door, he never even looked up. When i chambered a round less than ten feet from him, he booked it. His bag got ripped on a stick as he ran. I got my cans back, plus a few.

I am beyond livid. it is broad freaking daylight. He not only knew i was home, but knew i was ARMED and DTILL he had the nerve to try and steal directly out of my back yard?! TWICE?!

i called the sherrifs dept to let them know someone is stealing scrap. they said theyve been getting a ton of calls like this.
I said theyll get one less if i catch him again.

WTF is wrong with people nowdays that they look you in the eye while they steal from you?! In broad daylight?! And the prospect of a bullethole doesnt dissuade them?!

If he needed money to eat, he should have knocked on the door. id have given him lunch and all the cans in return for cleaning out the last half of the kennel. I worked my butt off digging that stupid thing out-theres no way you profit off my hard work (and wadp stings. and mosquito bites. and blisters.)

It really bothers me that walking outside and showing him someone was home was not enough-that a gun was not enough until i loaded it and pointed it at him. Nobody should be so bold that they would wager their life on whether a gun is loaded.

Also? I dont care what your personal gun feelings are. Im protected by Castle Law-if im defending myself or my property i have the right to use deadly force. Im not about to get in a fistfight with someone twice my size-nor will i hide in my house while they rob me blind.

Replies

• Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that you stood up for yourself. You gave proper warning (twice), alerted the authorities, so as far as I am concerned, you have the right to follow through should he come back. Obviously he does NOT need money for food if he is driving a new vehicle. Kudos!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow. That's ridiculous and amazing that he had the ... man parts... to do that. Personally I would have taken his picture while I was at it, and of his truck if at all possible... one handed, gun in the other hand... and sent them to the police.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    LOL. Enjoyed your story. I'm a Canadian, single mother, and a firearm owner (trained and licenced) and I LOVE that you didn't just cower inside helpless. What a freak. I'm glad that you are armed and assertive!!! Strong and unafraid women RULE. There need to be more of us! :flowerforyou:
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The audacity upsets me more than anything. Around here-we hunt at age five. Everyone does. There couldnt have been any doubt with him that i know how to use my own rifle. Thats just plain stupidity or arrogance. And he had to have seen it was a RIFLE. not a .22 rat killer. But to come back TWICE?! Im still angry.
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    I would have shot a round close to his feet.

Seeing that I know nothing about guns... I would probably have started shooting the second time around.... o__o

That is really scary
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would have shot a round close to his feet.
    This is a great idea!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You're allowed to shoot someone for a couple of pop cans? That's Fd
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the guy was a douche, but I dont think anyone should be killed over a couple of cans.

Sorry...
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    way to go!!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Beautifully handled. You rock.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Dang that's a pretty charged situation,

I don't agree with firing a warning shot ( could be misinterpreted very easily then your life is in danger.)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the guy was a douche, but I dont think anyone should be killed over a couple of cans.

Sorry...

This isn't about cans.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Props to you OP
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Sorry...

This isn't about cans.

^^THIS^^

It's about an individual thinking he is entitled to the fruits of the labor of another.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    you maam, are a mother fccking Bad *kitten* !
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had no intention of shooting HIM. the ground by his feet? Absolutely. The only way id ever put my finger on that trigger while it was pointed ANYWHERE at a human beings body is if he came after me.

You dont touch the trigger unless youre prepared to shoit.
    You dont prepare to shoot a person if you dont mean to kill them.
    You dont take a life unless your own depends on it. Period. No gray area.

Those cans were not worth a life-but if he doesnt get the point with an empty threat and quit stealing-i cant promise other peopke in town will have the same attitude. I wouldbt shoot him over a pile of aluminum-i know peopke nearby that would.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    The audacity upsets me more than anything. Around here-we hunt at age five. Everyone does. There couldnt have been any doubt with him that i know how to use my own rifle. Thats just plain stupidity or arrogance. And he had to have seen it was a RIFLE. not a .22 rat killer. But to come back TWICE?! Im still angry.
    Next time, go out with the rifle and a wooden bat.
    Toss the bat at him, scream "Please don't hit me" and shoulder the weapon.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A yard full of cans and `classic cars` near to the railway in a nice country town with around 1000 people and several `no trespassing signs` prickly bushes and dogs barking everywhere before you get the chicken coop in...you and your shotgun,

OMG seriously? sounds awful :tongue:

Maybe he was just trying to clean up a little?
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Sorry...

This isn't about cans.

^^THIS^^

It's about an individual thinking he is entitled to the fruits of the labor of another.

Sure it is. If you feel your life is being threatened, Im all for defending yourself. And I agree that what they guy was doing was seriously wrong. But I dont feel he should be killed over it. Sorry. I wouldnt sleep at night knowing I killed a guy over cans. Douche or not his kids deserve a father... Seriously.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Sorry...

This isn't about cans.

^^THIS^^

Well that and .. He came back a 3rd time, after leanring the homeowner is 1) home and 2) armed ... Those are not the actions of a rational person. Just by coming back, he's established himself as .. well .. slightly "off" and potentially dangerous, at a minimum.
This discussion has been closed.