Seriously?!

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    wow... let me get this straight, he's stealing empty cans? And you want to shoot him for it?

It's not about stealing empty cans. It's about him thinking he can go onto someone else's property after knowing that person is home and armed, and take whatever he wants back to his big shiny truck. He's obviously not lacking for $$ with a vehicle like that. He also is possibly lacking some sanity... I would have fired a warning shot too. He didn't take you seriously before. As a small woman at home alone, you do what you need to do to protect yourself.

If you did nothing, what if he came back for more? What if he wanted to come in the house?

Good for you for standing up for yourself and your property.

Was her life threatened?
    I am a small woman at home too, I feel no need to wave a gun around at a guy digging through my garbage. Fear. That's the way to live!
    We have names for people with your mentality: Victim and Statistic.

we have names for people with your mentality: retarded. I mean if we are gonna go all ad hominem, I figure why hold the punches?

The law regarding when deadly force is legal to use is very specific in my state. And it would not apply in this situation. In fact, in some states, you can be sued by the criminal who trespassed on your property because you used excessive force against them.

I realize OP lives in texas.

Maybe it's different there.
    Ah another victim. Clean up a few crime scenes or look at some photos from crime scenes and your head will suddenly come out of the sand, victim.

Not a "victim." A gun owner. And an attorney.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    wow... let me get this straight, he's stealing empty cans? And you want to shoot him for it?

It's not about stealing empty cans. It's about him thinking he can go onto someone else's property after knowing that person is home and armed, and take whatever he wants back to his big shiny truck. He's obviously not lacking for $$ with a vehicle like that. He also is possibly lacking some sanity... I would have fired a warning shot too. He didn't take you seriously before. As a small woman at home alone, you do what you need to do to protect yourself.

If you did nothing, what if he came back for more? What if he wanted to come in the house?

Was her life threatened?
    I am a small woman at home too, I feel no need to wave a gun around at a guy digging through my garbage. Fear. That's the way to live!

we have names for people with your mentality: retarded. I mean if we are gonna go all ad hominem, I figure why hold the punches?

The law regarding when deadly force is legal to use is very specific in my state. And it would not apply in this situation. In fact, in some states, you can be sued by the criminal who trespassed on your property because you used excessive force against them.

I realize OP lives in texas.

Maybe it's different there.

NO NAME CALLING-EITHER OF YOU. it is rude and not acceptable from adults. ever.

you can protect property, yourself, neighbors (ie-i can shoot to kill if someone attacks my neighbor or i catch them stealing their property)

Just like im within my rights to protect $100+ in scrap metal, you are within yours to let it go :)
    Thats the beauty of living here!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank god I don't live in the US of A!!!

Find it funny that other country’s are allowed to be racist against us but lord help us if we do you we will see you next time you have a disaster and your crying for help

racist? lol.....

sorry, this american makes us look a bit ignorant.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Was her life threatened?

We have names for people like you, too! :D Sorry, no scrap metal in my backyard.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Find it funny that other country’s are allowed to be racist against us but lord help us if we do you we will see you next time you have a disaster and your crying for help

racist? lol.....

sorry, this american makes us look a bit ignorant.

pretty closly related isnt it same as sterotyping
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You're allowed to shoot someone for a couple of pop cans? That's Fd

That's the US for you.

And thats Canadians for you, whining about something
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

She is not being racist.

There are a lot of Countries I am thankful I do not live in, I'm sure you would say the same. Racist.. lolol
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Was her life threatened?

We have names for people like you, too!
    Yeah, a realist.
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    That is really, really scary. You handled yourself very well though!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

NO NAME CALLING-EITHER OF YOU. it is rude and not acceptable from adults. ever.

you can protect property, yourself, neighbors (ie-i can shoot to kill if someone attacks my neighbor or i catch them stealing their property)

Just like im within my rights to protect $100+ in scrap metal, you are within yours to let it go :)
    Thats the beauty of living here!

But are you legally entitled to use deadly force?

http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/9.42.00.html

I believe you are lacking element 9.42(3) based on what you said here.

That's why I stand by my original post here which was:

Talk to a lawyer and don't post this crap on MFP. Once on the web, always on the web.

ETA: and that last sentence was a quickie reference to the possible admissibility into court your statements written here.
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options

Excuse me but what does race have to do with ridiculous gun laws? And the other part of your comment is just pure evil!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Racist?

Do you even know WTF you're talking about??
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Knock it off with the country bashing folks. if youre a proud american-awesome.

if you prefer canada, england, or sweden-good on you.

dont get nasty. seriously.
  • meeper123
    Options

exactly! I dont see how thats called for
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Was her life threatened?

We have names for people like you, too!
    Yeah, a realist.

Noooooo... more like WT.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

exactly! I dont see how thats called for

You're the one who called Canadians racist..
  • meeper123
    Options

Racist?

Do you even know WTF you're talking about??

Using this as a reason to bash the USA was what I was trying to point out
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    That is really, really scary. You handled yourself very well though!

Terrifying really.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,144 Member
    Options
    This IS about cans. Thats what it comes down to.
    Nope. It's about someone scoping the property. Cans were the excuse.

The reality is behaviour that goes beyond normal like this will invariably end up escalating unless someone intercedes effectively... as the OP did...

New York, NY was crime-ridden for decades until the mayor directed the police to start arresting the guys who were jumping the turnstiles in the subway and/or urinating in public... two activities that "normal" people don't engage in. The police were outraged but did what they were told. Strangely enough, when they started making arrests, half of those who they arrested had outstanding warrants... and the crime rate dropped quickly...

Keep that in mind the next time you see someone engaging in an activity that seems profoundly out of place. Take a moment to watch the individual and you might end up preventing the next Boston Marathon bombing.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER THIS GIF IS DIRECTED TO NO ONE IN PARTICULAR. DISCLAIMER

ZZPCwEN.gif
This discussion has been closed.