Seriously?!

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the guy was a douche, but I dont think anyone should be killed over a couple of cans.

Sorry...

This isn't about cans.

^^THIS^^

It's about an individual thinking he is entitled to the fruits of the labor of another.

Sure it is. If you feel your life is being threatened, Im all for defending yourself. And I agree that what they guy was doing was seriously wrong. But I dont feel he should be killed over it. Sorry. I wouldnt sleep at night knowing I killed a guy over cans. Douche or not his kids deserve a father... Seriously.
    First they come for cans, then they come for you!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Then maybe build a bin and put all the cans into it?

You could put an electric fence around it or booby trap it?

Or maybe just keep stuff nice n neat n tidy, squish all those cans into a tiny pile?

I know you said you live in this nice town, but have you ever watched `hoarders` on the CBS channel where people have the yards full of `stuff`

I understand you want to protect yourself and your property but if people can not see it then they do not know it exists?

That is the mentality that results in women being forced to wear burqas.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Are you for real??? You are insulting a religion. the OP is protecting property?
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    ... we have a 1965 mustang AND a 1983 f350 ;)
    And they RUN! :D

You'll get more for the cans than you ever will for the F-350, running or not. But seriously, who the f**k presses their jeans?
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just the sheer audacity of the guy coming back after being told to get off your property would piss me off! He's such an idiot I wouldn't put it past him to come in the middle of the night for the cans! Why do people think they can just TAKE whatever the heck they want when it doesn't belong to them? He didn't 'ask' you if you were discarding them, he didn't 'ask' if he could have them (and he could have when he saw you). He was just helping himself to what didn't belong to him. And as far as the rest of you who thinks it's about cans....it isn't. How would you like it if someone just 'helped themselves' to your car? Simply because it was there and you weren't in it at the time? I say she was perfectly within her rights to protect what was hers.
  • konfidentialglitter
    Options
    I know what you mean! The other day I was in the park with my son and husband and this guy comes up to us and is like exact words "Can I get $2.50 for a beer in the gas station" and it was a young guy to. I could of easily given him the money but I didnt it got me mad how he said it and what he wanted it for I mean really???
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    wow... let me get this straight, he's stealing empty cans? And you want to shoot him for it?

It's not about stealing empty cans. It's about him thinking he can go onto someone else's property after knowing that person is home and armed, and take whatever he wants back to his big shiny truck. He's obviously not lacking for $$ with a vehicle like that. He also is possibly lacking some sanity... I would have fired a warning shot too. He didn't take you seriously before. As a small woman at home alone, you do what you need to do to protect yourself.

If you did nothing, what if he came back for more? What if he wanted to come in the house?

Good for you for standing up for yourself and your property.

Was her life threatened?
    I am a small woman at home too, I feel no need to wave a gun around at a guy digging through my garbage. Fear. That's the way to live!
    We have names for people with your mentality: Victim and Statistic.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ... we have a 1965 mustang AND a 1983 f350 ;)
    And they RUN! :D

You'll get more for the cans than you ever will for the F-350, running or not. But seriously, who the f**k presses their jeans?

ouch. burn. i love that truck ;)

Its Texas. like...seriously. if they dont have a perfectly centered crease and arent so starchy they can stand unassisted, most men i know wont wear them. its like big hair. i dont understand, but its a thing here.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You're allowed to shoot someone for a couple of pop cans? That's Fd

That's the US for you.

LOL I know
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Meh....the guy sounds like he was obviously mentally ill...to be so focused on getting cans he disregarded an obvious threat to his own life....sounds pretty "off" to me I mean damn lady I just wanted the cans!
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    WOW! Thank god I don't live in the US of A!!!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I seriously have to facepalm at the people who keep getting stuck on the stupid cans and the fact that OP owns a gun.

Did you guys even read her post? How she handled the situation was very reasonable and thought out, given the circumstances. Its not like she ran wailing out and waving a gun shooting everywhere. I can add my own experience to this.

A couple of years ago, when I was in my room I heard my dogs going mad. I looked out the window to see what was up and I saw my dad outside talking to someone in a threatening manner. So I went outside and found that there was a woman who was reasonably well dressed near my neighbors recycling bin and taking cans. My dad told her repeatedly to leave or he would call the police.

She wouldn't, she refused and became increasingly unstable in the manner of her speech and behavior, so my dad yelled at me to call the cops. When they got there she was stark raving mad and she spit in in the policeman's face and cussed out everybody and kicked and screamed.

My dad told me later that he went to check out why the dogs were barking (way before I was even home), and said he saw a businesswoman walking around the field behind our house (this field stretches over 3 houses). He thought it was a little strange at first but then reasoned that maybe she was some real estate person, so he asked her and she said she was.

Then he went out later and noticed that she had come from the field into our neighbor's yard (by the way their yard has multiple NO TRESPASSING signs around it) and was taking cans from the bin. He thought that was suspicious so he called the neighbors and asked if they were expecting someone to take their recycling (it was completely full), and they said no, and to tell the woman to leave.

The police station is just a couple blocks away from our house so unlike OP the reaction time from when we ever call is immediate. But honestly, you can never know with people, especially when they don't take no for an answer.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    wow... let me get this straight, he's stealing empty cans? And you want to shoot him for it?

It's not about stealing empty cans. It's about him thinking he can go onto someone else's property after knowing that person is home and armed, and take whatever he wants back to his big shiny truck. He's obviously not lacking for $$ with a vehicle like that. He also is possibly lacking some sanity... I would have fired a warning shot too. He didn't take you seriously before. As a small woman at home alone, you do what you need to do to protect yourself.

If you did nothing, what if he came back for more? What if he wanted to come in the house?

Was her life threatened?
    I am a small woman at home too, I feel no need to wave a gun around at a guy digging through my garbage. Fear. That's the way to live!

we have names for people with your mentality: retarded. I mean if we are gonna go all ad hominem, I figure why hold the punches?

The law regarding when deadly force is legal to use is very specific in my state. And it would not apply in this situation. In fact, in some states, you can be sued by the criminal who trespassed on your property because you used excessive force against them.

I realize OP lives in texas.

Maybe it's different there.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Was her life threatened?

Wrong. ;P
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank god I don't live in the US of A!!!

Find it funny that other country’s are allowed to be racist against us but lord help us if we do you we will see you next time you have a disaster and your crying for help
  • eric_sg61
    Options

Was her life threatened?

we have names for people with your mentality: retarded. I mean if we are gonna go all ad hominem, I figure why hold the punches?

The law regarding when deadly force is legal to use is very specific in my state. And it would not apply in this situation. In fact, in some states, you can be sued by the criminal who trespassed on your property because you used excessive force against them.

I realize OP lives in texas.

Maybe it's different there.
    Ah another victim. Clean up a few crime scenes or look at some photos from crime scenes and your head will suddenly come out of the sand, victim. Never underestimate the brutality of another human being!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

You're making too big of deal out of a bunch of pop cans..
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow. That's ridiculous and amazing that he had the ... man parts... to do that. Personally I would have taken his picture while I was at it, and of his truck if at all possible... one handed, gun in the other hand... and sent them to the police.

That wouldn't have helped much as the police obviously don't care enough to even come out there when she called.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the guy was a douche, but I dont think anyone should be killed over a couple of cans.

Sorry...

This isn't about cans.

^^THIS^^

It's about an individual thinking he is entitled to the fruits of the labor of another.

Sure it is. If you feel your life is being threatened, Im all for defending yourself. And I agree that what they guy was doing was seriously wrong. But I dont feel he should be killed over it. Sorry. I wouldnt sleep at night knowing I killed a guy over cans. Douche or not his kids deserve a father... Seriously.

What about a guy knowing you are home alone and is sneaking onto your property. What if decides he can take you and get more stuff from you and rob you? Guy ignoring warnings has the "i dont give a F" mentality and who knows how far he is willing to go. he is obviously not poor and does what he wants.

Maybe he is poor and just stole the truck also.

So you want a guy digging in your back yard for cans and scrap metal who has a record or theft and who knows what else?

Would you be happier if he beat him to a pulp with a bat?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, don't sweat the haters. I wouldn't let some homeless guy grab my cans, either. Unless he was hot.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Wait..so why didn't you shoot him?
This discussion has been closed.