2050 Calories A DAY?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Splurging" is eating over your calorie goal. It's good occasionally. I'm doing it tonight.

Eating some food you love, like pizza, and making it fit in your daily nutrient goals is not splurging. That's being sensible. It should be done regularly.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hey Coach!

I think it's awesome how you agreed with this Jackson dude, here:
    *sigh* so much poor advice in this thread.

OP, yes that number sounds reasonable. I get that it seems dramatically higher than what you're used to... but I'm assuming you're changing things up for a reason? Probably because something about your current approach isn't working?

As for eating more... eat whatever you want. If you want "clean" "whole" foods, fine. If you want pizza and burgers and ice cream, fine. If you want TV dinners, fine. Just hit that number and go from there. Weight loss happens regardless of the "quality" of your foods. If you have other health concerns, then let those dictate WHAT you eat. Weight loss should dictate HOW MUCH you eat.

truth

And then totally put the smack down on this broad when she had the audacity to say almost the exact same freakin thing here:
    There's nothing wrong with pizza.

Pizza has carbs (good for energy), protein and fats (in the cheese) which are good for muscles and organ function. A couple of slices of restaurant pizza will not ruin you.

IIFYM - If it fits in your macros

This means that you plan your day to meet your macro goals. I aim to hit my protein goal and fat goal every day. I do that by eating plenty of lean meats and healthy fats. Then, I fill in the day with whatever else - making sure to have plenty of fruits and veggies. If I can make a slice of pizza fit, why not? I'm not suggesting that someone go out and eat a large Pizza Hut pizza every day. But, if you can manage a slice or two along with a spinach salad, why not eat it?

why do you feel everyone has to subscribe to your eating philosophy? it's not the only one out there. give it a rest.

I can dig your whole "women should only have the opinions men allow them to have and only when men say it first" attitude. Unless you're just hitting on that dude. Which I guess is fine but you're being a little too subtle. Just ask him out already! Go for it!

wait WHAT?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i'll clarify.

the term IIFYM annoys me the same way "paleo" or "primal" annoys many people, but if you'll notice, that's why I don't use it, nor do I ever suggest people eat "paleo" unless they're already asking about it.

should we all follow the "official" IIFYM guidelines? of course we should. does that mean we should fill our day with as much crap as we can possibly fit into our macros? that's where I disagree.

but in any case, keep calling me sexist and misogynistic. :noway:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Quote:If you are looking to add healthy calories good choices are avocado, roasted nuts, and peanut butter. All of these in moderation provide good sources of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.

I said about a cheesy pizza slice as a joke, but having said it, I'm now wondering why a decent pizza (homemade so you know what's in and on it) is 'bad' compared to peanut butter? Flour, butter, milk, cheese, tomatoes, vegetables on top seems pretty sensible to me.

Is cheese a bad fat and peanut and avocado good fats?

Not trolling, just curious! The person who said flat out 'no' wasn't very helpful and this is a good information source!

Pizza has carbs (good for energy), protein and fats (in the cheese) which are good for muscles and organ function. A couple of slices of restaurant pizza will not ruin you.

This means that you plan your day to meet your macro goals. I aim to hit my protein goal and fat goal every day. I do that by eating plenty of lean meats and healthy fats. Then, I fill in the day with whatever else - making sure to have plenty of fruits and veggies. If I can make a slice of pizza fit, why not? I'm not suggesting that someone go out and eat a large Pizza Hut pizza every day. But, if you can manage a slice or two along with a spinach salad, why not eat it?

CloseEnough_zpsfa81ed12.jpg

You said it as a joke, but people will take it seriously. That's why I just said "NO". I shot down a joke and you find it unhelpful? :sigh:

Do you want to lose number or get healthy? Lose weight or lose fat? Those are the real questions. Sure you can make microwave dinners and pizza fit your macros, but will that be the best way to fuel your life, workouts, and health? No.
    Eat natural and unprocessed foods. Healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, and plenty of protein. How many threads do you see where people reach their "goal weight" but aren't happy with their body?

Reaching their goal weight and not being happy with their body is NOT a byproduct of them eating too much pizza while staying within their intended caloric range.

Pizza--marinara sauce, cheese, flour, canadian bacon (maybe), pineapple, olives, onions, peppers...I'm seeing no problem with this. Please so elaborate on how this is not "the best way to fuel your life, workouts, and health."
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say I've had 2k calorie appetizers before. They were awesome.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Quote:If you are looking to add healthy calories good choices are avocado, roasted nuts, and peanut butter. All of these in moderation provide good sources of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.

I said about a cheesy pizza slice as a joke, but having said it, I'm now wondering why a decent pizza (homemade so you know what's in and on it) is 'bad' compared to peanut butter? Flour, butter, milk, cheese, tomatoes, vegetables on top seems pretty sensible to me.

Not trolling, just curious! The person who said flat out 'no' wasn't very helpful and this is a good information source!

You said it as a joke, but people will take it seriously. That's why I just said "NO". I shot down a joke and you find it unhelpful? :sigh:

Do you want to lose number or get healthy? Lose weight or lose fat? Those are the real questions. Sure you can make microwave dinners and pizza fit your macros, but will that be the best way to fuel your life, workouts, and health? No.
    Eat natural and unprocessed foods. Healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, and plenty of protein. How many threads do you see where people reach their "goal weight" but aren't happy with their body?

Once before, I lost 40 lbs, reached goal weight and still wasn't happy with my body.... guess what? I lost those 40 lbs eating lean meats, veggies and fruit, and very little breads or sweets.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to catch up later.

Have fun *rolls eyes*

Okay, I'm caught up now...and yes, it was fun, or at least entertaining. The myths that are repeated as truths on this site without any consideration of the underlying facts are absolutely dumbfounding.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Typically the unhappy people haven't incorporated strength training. I was not joking, eat pizza all you want. Hit your marcos and micros. You don't get extra credit for exceeding your daily need of micro nutrients, sometimes you just have caloric needs to fill as well. Not that you can't hit your macro AND micro nutrient goals with pizza.

You should tell these two that they can't acheive their desire bodyfat % with pizza, ice cream and pop tarts. Let me know how that goes for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/sarauk2sf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/sidesteel

Great for them. Sorry if you disagree with me. I'm just sharing my perspective and experience.
    ETA: I also wrote about fueling life and workouts. If people can do that with pizza and be happy, more power to them, but I haven't found that to be the case.

So I guess that eating pizza and ice cream totally makes my progress a lie. Not just the weight loss but the gains in strength and endurance I've seen. Hmmmmmm
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options
    "Splurging" is eating over your calorie goal. It's good occasionally. I'm doing it tonight.

Eating some food you love, like pizza, and making it fit in your daily nutrient goals is not splurging. That's being sensible. It should be done regularly.

:flowerforyou:
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    1400 calories seems to be too low with your activity factored in.
    Okay, for the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with pizza, even while losing weight

Now, because I was scarred from a terrifying bout of food poisoning (thanks for nothing Papa John's), I learned from an early age to go about it a different way. Sometimes pizza isn't food, but a "foodlike substance" i.e. chemicals and preservatives that go "yay! lets screw up their metabolisms and hunger signals"

If I'm gonna have pizza, I'm gonna buy the dough, make the sauce, shred my own cheese and cook it myself ;)

Tastes better that way.

And honestly? If you want a freakin slice that bad, have it. Denying yourself for too long will usually lead to an overeat later on of the "forbidden" food
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Holy SMokies what a train wreck this trhead is!!!! bwahahahah OH OH IM EATING PIZZA TONIGHT!!!! homemade
    Based on this thread.............
    Im NEVER gonna be healthy eating my pizza once a week!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    Its all good Im running a 5K before dinner!

And I have merlot to wash it down with. Dont they say red wine is good for ya?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit,
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Brown rice
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm eating more then ever, but more healty, like chicken Turkey and steak
    Skipping a lot of fat food. My cheese :(
    Still drinking my dry white wine :)

So set the day-limit on 2000 and be every day a little bit under it.

Marc
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Im eating my PIZZA im making tonight regardless if it leads me to never be fit like you peepz are saying in this thread here on the MFP!
    This is how I roll!......
    XXX thin crust
    Tomato sauce
    Cheese
    shrimp
    Bacon
    green pepper
    Onion

OH and some Merlot!!!!:devil:
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    And a good pizza is Always nice.
    Count it and log it..

I like the chicken ones.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Seems unlikely, unless you consider yourself highly active because of a 30 minute workout 6 times a week... A lot of the 'activity' standards make no sense. I workout every day but sit on my butt the rest of the day and there's just no way I'm highly active.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Holy SMokies what a train wreck this trhead is!!!! bwahahahah OH OH IM EATING PIZZA TONIGHT!!!! homemade

Preach on BEERRUNNE! Preach on! (yeah I just quoted myself!):bigsmile:
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Didn't you know? Wine is an absolute necessity to a healthy blood pressure (survival)... What's the point of a homemade pizza if you don't have wine to wash it down? And a steak without a bottle of Cabernet? Fahgettaboudit.

Almost as bad as having a plate of ribs without a Guinness.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options

Didn't you know? Wine is an absolute necessity to a healthy blood pressure (survival)... What's the point of a homemade pizza if you don't have wine to wash it down? And a steak without a bottle of Cabernet? Fahgettaboudit.

Almost as bad as having a plate of ribs without a Guinness.

Thats what im sayin.l...see you feel me!!!! Totally flexing my homeade pizza tonight with some Merlot!!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is around 2700 and I cut around 30%, staying around 1800 calories. I flutuate a few hundred here and there, but I keep losing, slowly but surely.