PSA: Any diet that prohibits certain foods is a bad diet.

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When I was pushing weight loss my trainer told me nothing "white and fluffy". That worked for me and I share it with anyone who ask me for weight loss advice.

No cauliflower cuz they look like baby clouds? That makes me a sad panda
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm really hoping that someone will come in here and argue endlessly to the contrary so I can mark it off on my Bingo card.

All in good time, my friend. All in good time.
    BINGO!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    let's see...

1) Reddy charges in to thread (check)
    2) Reddy creates strawman counter-argument (check)
    3) Reddy passive-aggressively attacks OP (check)
    4) Reddy reports everyone who disagrees with him ( )

so far 3 out of 4.

it seems like i've watched this movie many, many, many times before. it's kind of a boring movie to be honest.

I don't passive aggressively attack the OP, I openly attack the OP. :laugh:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    PYaLmIi.gif
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Finally, someone who supports my crack and heroine diet... wait..
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    let's see...

so far 3 out of 4.

it seems like i've watched this movie many, many, many times before. it's kind of a boring movie to be honest.

Reddy is angry that openly flout all his rules and haven't died or developed serious health problems yet.

His best answer is consistently "you'll get yours, one day!"
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    who are you to say what is and isn't a bad diet?

moreover, why should people eat foods that make them ill?

seems to me there are plenty of reasons for people not to eat certain foods.

Well if a certain food makes someone ill, why would they eat it?

That's not a diet plan banning a food. That's a personal preference not to eat a food. Big difference.

Thanks for the clarification :redacted:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm really hoping that someone will come in here and argue endlessly to the contrary so I can mark it off on my Bingo card.

Why? Do you have "hardbody, know-it-all, douche bag" on your bingo card too?
    Yes. It's next to the "I gain weight during my period" square.

Gotcha covered.

OK, so during my period I tend to gain about 3-4 lbs. I have found that I can avoid this by banning strawberries for the 3 days before and after ovulation, then avoid carbs during my flow.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

You eat strong women??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You eat strong women??

I'd eat Xena every day.

Wait, what? Nevermind.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Codicil the first: Any diet that identifies a miracle food is a bad diet.
    except for green coffee extract, raspberry ketones, acai ,noni juice,hcg...
    those are ALL just fine <insert sarcastic tone here>
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    who are you to say what is and isn't a bad diet?

A person of reasonable intelligence.

ah.

you eat mcdonalds and other fast food every single day, you've been trying to lose 20 pounds for over 2 years, and you seem to believe you somehow have the authority to determine what is and isn't healthy for everyone on MFP?

I'd also like to point out that the majority of folks who are jumping in to agree with you are significantly far from reaching their goals.

just. saying.

I have reached my goals and I wholeheartly agree that cutting out certian foods to lose weight is a bad idea - UNLESS you feel that you can cut that food out for the rest of your life. Diets are typically short term solutions to a long term problem. If I told myself that I couldn't eat ice cream or pasta or pizza EVER again, I'd probably be 40 pounds heavier than what I started out at.

i agree with all of that. I don't suggest cutting things out in order to lose weight, I suggest cutting things out when you actually become healthier for having done it - that varies from person to person. the only thing that i recommend reducing (note: reducing, not eliminating completely) is processed crap. for that debate, however, we've got another thread. :smile:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    PSA: common sense isn't very common.

OP did you say that if you are allergic to foods or if foods make you sick then you should still eat them? I don't remember reading that part. I've always done well with reading comprehension too, what a shame.

I don't know why so many people want to "restrict" everything?! I haven't restricted anything from my diet and I'm getting along fine. I've only lost 110 pounds though, so not much progress to judge whether or not moderation is the way to go or not. I guess I should start restricting everything, that way I'll get resentful and angry about my "diet" then maybe I can actually see some results!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that the majority of folks who are jumping in to agree with you are significantly far from reaching their goals.

just. saying.

You might want to double check that. How's it going with *your* goals?

just saying

i'm incredibly healthy. my goals at the moment are purely aesthetic because of the industry i work in.

Restaurant?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    let's see...

so far 3 out of 4.

Reddy is angry that openly flout all his rules and haven't died or developed serious health problems yet.

His best answer is consistently "you'll get yours, one day!"

yup. and given your 5000mg of sodium intake each day, I still stand behind it too.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

just. saying.

You might want to double check that. How's it going with *your* goals?

just saying

His goal he reached? :huh:
    I would think he's doing something right by his ticker...

If people want to eat pop tarts or mcd's everyday and count calories for life that's their choice if people want to eat nothing but fish and do a rain dance around their meals before eating it, or anywhere in between the two why does it really matter?

Do what works for you and don't worry about other people's choices and maybe then the forum would be filled with less childish topics and people could actually find helpful topics easier.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know it has been said, but I want to just...say it again.

There's a difference between not eating a food that makes you sick because it makes you sick, and not eating a food that doesn't make you sick because you're following a certain diet.

And to the previous poster who noticed that people who agreed tend to be a bit farther away from their goals...I have a bit to go, but I've lost a lot too.

Moderation, friends :D
    Life is about moderation, why should eating be any different?
    I don't eat foods that make me sick, not because I think they're EVIL FATTY DEATH FOODS but because uh.....they make me sick.

^This. I actually can't believe it has to be explained that OP didn't mean foods that you are allergic to and that make you sick vs. a diet..... And I may not be significantly close to my goal either, but I have lost 40 lbs (my ticker needs updated, I only do it once a month) and I feel like that is significant to me. And I don't cut out foods.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Not eating foods to avoid a medical condition != not eating foods to be part of a "miracle" diet

This is sure to keep the post on track!

/lol
    /I still prefer low carb
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Is this a license to eat junk food? Food filled with preservatives and fillers? Food that causes cancer in lab rats?

[b[]Success is not in dieting, it's in lifestyle changes.[/b]
    :drinker: Most sensible response yet!!
    Right on! I've tried both theories and have to say that eating what you want doesn't work. I feel full of energy and lose weight quicker when I eat healthy.
    :flowerforyou: It does make a difference in what I eat and my energy level, I agree.

This thread is in response to me advising to add calories to a diet by eating things like nuts and avocados over pizza.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree if by "diet" you mean to lose weight. Eliminating or prohibiting any food groups because you will lose weight faster is wrong. A calorie deficit is how to achieve weight loss. However, there are lots of health reasons people have to eliminate foods other then the obvious medical conditions like allergies or intolerances. The health reason to eliminate a food maybe as simple as they feel better without it. For example: I feel better with little to no wheat because wheat makes me bloated. I do not have a medical condition to eliminate it and I do not do it for weight loss.

You can not dictate peoples personal choice to eat or not to eat whatever they want in their "diet" as described below.

From dictionary.com

di·et
    /ˈdī-it/Noun
    1.The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    2.A legislative assembly in certain countries.
This discussion has been closed.